Not Engaged Yet
Options

Random garden question

Has anyone ever ordered lady bugs for a garden online? I have a ton of aphids trying to eat my poor little herb garden and I do not want to spray it with anything since I use the herbs on pretty much a nightly basis and none of the nurseries in my town sell them. Also has anyone ever used lady bugs for this purpose. I am sort of skeptical about how well it works. All the reviews I read online said the lady bugs would arrive alive, but nothing about the effectiveness. 

Re: Random garden question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    lady bugs scare the hell out of me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be much happier to find  ladybug there than I am to find what's normally there. Its been spiders and unidentified weird green thing that looks like something from a scifi movie. Those are scary.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You know what really scares me?

These little fuuckers.

And they just happen to be our state insect, so they just put a huge statue of one in the middle of town.

I never realized I had a legit phobia until I broke out in a cold sweat trying to google pictures.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, they eat aphids, so you might want to invest of a few of those little creatures.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Last August I was going on a walk with bf at night and as soon as we stepped out the door there were TONS of them everywhere. I kept trying to pick one up but was bf was scared it was going to bite me. Thats the only time I have ever seen them in the four years of living here. There was no sign of them the next day. It was quite odd. 

And I just read that you can buy their eggs to hatch in your garden. Apparently you can get carnivorous snails that only eat other snails too. There is a whole bug world I knew nothing about. 
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about the effectiveness of the ladybugs, but our local hardware supply used to sell them by the bag.

My mom always sprays aphids with a mixture of dish soap and water. If you just rinsed the herbs off again when you pick them, you should be fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards