Pre-wedding Parties

Dinner for OOT guests when only one side is from out of town

Our wedding will be very small, just immediate family members and a few close friends. We won't be having a rehearsal or rehearsal dinner for this reason. I thought it would be nice to have a welcome dinner or post-wedding brunch for out of town guests instead. Some of them are traveling 8+ hour each way to see us so I'd like to spend more time with them. 

The issue is that all of the out of town guests are on my side. It seems like that might be an issue and I certainly don't want anyone to think my family is being favored.

However, I am not sure how else to do it. If we just invite everyone then I feel like it will be too much like the wedding itself. This will also greatly increase the cost. At the same time it would give our families a chance to meet before the wedding.

Any thoughts on this? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Dinner for OOT guests when only one side is from out of town

• utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd just have a party at home with them all, don't worry about people thinking they are being favored. They traveled a long way to see you, I understand that you want to spend extra time with them. Tell your in-laws they are more than welcome to attend, but it's their option. 
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In my circle the bride and groom's family usually host their own sides for an after-party or next-day brunch for this reason.  It lets the bride and groom spend time with each side of the family and lets the family reconnect.  Bride and groom usually go to both.  I wouldn't worry about it - like PP said you can extend the offer to the inlaws, but they're unlikely to want to attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards