Rhode Island
Options

Belle Mer Brides!

Hey ladies!  Anyone getting married at Belle Mer?!?!  We are planning a September 2012 wedding and wanted to share advice, thoughts, ideas, etc. Would love to hear from any and all of you!

Re: Belle Mer Brides!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Island House on May 4th!  I go for my tasting in a month, can't wait!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at Belle Mer in the Salon on 10/21. It was fantastic - the staff there is amazing. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married Aug 11 2012 in the Salon! Cant wait! Just had our photographer cancel on us tho lol.. SO on the hunt now for another one ugh. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Same thing happened to me, except my photographer got pregnant so she had to cancel.  I am using Memories RI, but all the girls on here had amazing reccs for other photographers!

• Options
    tclopestclopes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So great to hear from all you Belle brides! 

LOMLBOAT - I can't wait for the tasting!  It seems like so much fun.  I love food :)

I am getting married on 9/14/12 in the Salon.  We are super excited!  Its such a beautiful space and location.  We are working with Emily - wedding planner - she is absolutely amazing!

We also just booked our photographer - Person + Killian.  They are out of Boston and have done a few of my friend's weddings.  GREAT work and really good w/ capturing the moment if you need recommendations.

I do have a few questions from you ladies:

1.  Flowers: who are you ladies using for your flowers.  I'm in need a recommendation!

2.  Hotel blocks: are any of your blocking hotel rooms?  I think we are going to inquire w/ Hyatt and Marriot.

3.  Timing of day: what are your timelines like?  Ideally we want to have the ceremony around 4:30pm, followed by 1.5hrs cocktail "hour" and then going to midnight.  I'm just curious what everyone else is doing and if we have enough time.  I feel like the day is going to go by so fast :(

4.  Ceremony: we are going to have our ceremony onsite.  Any ladies doing the same?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am working with Venessa since my event coordinator (Joslin) is no longer working there.

1. I am using Seekonk Floral Design because they are the cheapest, but Toni Chandler was incredible and she's right down the road in Newport.

2. I booked at Hyatt and Marriott, they were both wonderful to work with, Marriott (as you can imagine) was cheaper, but only by about $30.

3. I am getting married in Providence at 2:30 and having my reception at 6.  We may ask to start the cocktail our at 5:30, but we haven't decided yet.  We want to make sure there's enough time to get down there and take pictures.  (We are getting married on a Friday so we want to leave plenty of time for traffic).

4. We aren't having the ceremony on site, but I saw it set up and it looks like it would be beautiful!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Found a new photographer... We are going to go with Melissa Robotti now.

1. we are using Stoneblossom for flowers and they have been great to work with so far and are very creative...

2.  I cant believe how ridic hotel rooms are... Do you guys have a 2 night minimum? We are using the marriott, best western and we found a one night min at the ramada inn in middletown. May not be the nicest but I was so relieved to give our guests an option of a one night...

3.  We are having everything on site... So 6:30 ceremony and reception to follow. We decided to do the "first look" and pics before so we can maximize our time with guests etc...

Are you guys providing transportation at all?? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not providing transportation because both Hyatt and Marriott are within walking distance (about 2 and 10 minute walk respectively), but because they are so expensive, I may add another hotel either in Newport (farther away) or Middletown to have a cheaper option.  But most of my guests are only an hr or 2 away max, so most people won't be staying anyways unless they want to drink.

Because I am getting married on May 4th (Friday) I don't have a 2 night minimum.
  • Options
    tclopestclopes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there!  Happy Saturday!

Oh wow Stone Blossom!  I just had a call w/ Sherri the other day to discuss a proposal.  She seemed very nice.  Do you find them to be pricey?  I haven't rec'd the proposal yet but am a little nervous since I have no clue on how much flowers cost!

For the hotel rooms, I have reached out to the Hyatt for pricing - I actually met the sales girls at Belle Mer's Open House a few weeks ago.  They seem nice to deal with but I agree their prices are a little high.  We don't have a two night minimum b/c we are getting married on a Friday.  I am going to look into the Marriott as well.

Are any of you hosting a day after brunch for your guests?  We have alot of people coming from out of town.

We are doing first look pics too!  I've heard from my other friends that this was the way to go so you don't feel rushed and can actually enjoy the cocktail hour and mingle more with your guests since the day goes by sooooo fast!  Also, another good point is that the first look moment is just for the two of you - rather than seeing each other for the first time in front of your guests.  It ends up being very special and I really like that.  

For your onsite ceremony - are you doing any music or do you have a sound system so everyone can hear your vows?

What about cocktail hour music?  

We aren't doing transporation b/c I think most of our guests will stay overnight at one of the hotel blocks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to do a morning after brunch, but I'm not sure where.  Hyatt is a little more than we wanted to spend and Marriott sent me this package with brunch prices which were more reasonable, but I think I want something more laid back.  My mom said she would buy bagels, muffins, OJ and some champagne and have people come to her room the morning after for some breakfast, but I feel bad not doing a full brunch, I don't want to be cheap or anything (lol like I can be having the wedding at Belle Mer).

Do you know of any places that may do a brunch w/in walking distance in Newport for a cheaper rate?

I am having a band for my reception, but they do not include the cocktail hour as that is when they warm up.  Does anyone have any suggestions for the cocktail hour?
  • Options
    tclopestclopes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm...I'm not sure of places for brunch in Newport.  Where is your rehearsal dinner?  I wonder if you asked them to do the brunch the day after the wedding they may do a deal or something?  Just something I just thought of!  I might look into this lol

For the cocktail hour, I actually asked Emily (the wedding planner I am working with at Belle Mer) about a sound system and they have one (indoor and outdoor) where you can hook up your ipod for a playlist.  I think we may consider doing that to save some extra costs.  I feel like people don't really pay attention to the music during cocktail hour :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your help/suggestions.  The RD is in Seekonk, so that probably won't work, but I meet with Venessa on Dec 16th so hopefully she may have some suggestions, and it's still 5 months aways so I can plan it out as it gets closer.

I didn't know about the sound system, that is wonderful. I'll have to start planning out good songs for the cocktail hour :)
  • Options
    I'm getting married at Belle Mer in July 2012.  Who are you all using for transportation?  We are getting married off-site so we will need transportation for the wedding party.  Also, curious what you all included in your minimum?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards