July 2012 Weddings
Options

House update

So yesterday we managed to have all 3 inspectors come! Septic, private well, and house. I'm so glad that's over with.

Septic passed the inspection, the well should be ok too, but won't find out for a while- takes time to get the water tested apparently, and the house inspection went okay I think.

The owner built the house himself and apparently he didn't really finish everything. For example, the insulation is put up in the storage room in the basement but it is not yet covered with a plastic sheet. Lots of tiny details. Going to get a full report sometime within the next 2 hours- I hope I'm not going to drop dead when I read the report!

On the plus side- FI has worked in construction in the past and FFIL does repairs so I believe that some stuff can easily be taken care by us. The sellers have already agreed to do all of the repairs that we listed in our original offer- but obviously there will be a longer list from the inspector. We are hoping that it will be something easily negotiable/fixable.

The sellers are getting together with their agent at 9:30 this morning to sign the agreement. I just hope to god that the agreement is done correctly this time so we can send the agreement over to our lender right away to lock in our rates. I don't want to wait any longer- I've had enough of waiting.

I am hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometime soon.
doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: House update

• Options
    Hang in there, sounds like you're getting closer! I can't imagine buying a house and wedding planning at the same time, props to you!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I am glad everything is coming together! ;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Glad everything is starting to come together as well.. it's pretty exciting but nail biting when you have to wait for all these reports isn't it? And most of all when your hoping everything comes out with "passes". Fingers crossed!
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • Options
    I am glad everything is working out for you so far!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_house-update?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:1a78dbc0-6685-48cb-992a-6a75b8c014d1Post:2026e76c-f5b7-460f-8f67-041bc85775c4">Re: House update</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hang in there, sounds like you're getting closer! I can't imagine buying a house and wedding planning at the same time, props to you!
    Posted by ceglare4[/QUOTE]

Yes, this! You are amazing for juggling this all at once!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    so exciting! best of luck! :D
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hope all went well Katie!!! =) 
  • Options
    I'm glad there is light at the end of the tunnel for you now.  Hopefully everything comes back okay and you can just keep moving forward and soon you will be in your new house!
  • Options
    Sounds like it's all coming together! Hope the report comes back positive :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The report came back pretty good I think. There are a lot of small details that the builder didn't bother finishing. Like putting in a rail on the stairs, covering up the fiberglass insulation with plastic sheet in a small area in the storage, finish caulking in the bathrooms, etc.

The only major stuff the inspectior was concered about: the house doesn't have A/C and well we don't really mind (we live in frozen hell, remember), no landing on deck on one of the doors in the addition (FI can easily expand the deck), regrade around the house, etc.

We are going to see if the sellers are willing to expand their repair list a bit, otherwise we aren't overly concerned. Not everything needs to be done right away.

So this is kind of a good news isn't it?? :)
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like good news! What a long process! We haven't gone through buying a house yet so all of this just sounds like a headache! Keep hanging in there! :)
  • Options
    That sounds like pretty good news to me.  That sounds like manageable stuff especially if you have some handyman skills in the family.  Congrats on getting all this done while wedding planning :)

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards