Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

DIY Classic Romance Themed Buffet

Me & my fiance are planning a timeless romance DIY vintage style wedding for this coming July. We are rather young & full of love and are trying o do this ourselves. I always pictured a fall wedding but since my fiance is going away to bootcamp in the fall we decided to do it during his favorite month. Only problem I keep facing is the buffet menu. I don't want to stray from the theme but i feel since its the summer gguest will want bbq food but i don't want that as my main courses since i plan on serving mini versions as fun cocktail hour.

cocktail hour:
mini hamburgers
mini grilled cheese
pigs n blanket or mini corn dogs
veggies w/dip
fruit
pasta salad w/salad shrimp
cheese cubes & crackers

cocktail:
sparkling punch
sweet tea w/lemon

dessert:
red velvet wedding cup cakes
lemons wedding cup cakes

please help with ideas for main course

Re: DIY Classic Romance Themed Buffet

• Congrats on your engagement, and good luck to your fiance in the service. In August I married a vet who spent 22 yrs in the Air Force.

I would probably not have the pasta salad with your appetizers. Everything else can pretty much be eaten by hand, for that they'd need a fork and it might be messier.

When I think of romantic, maybe vintage, and Virginia, I think of a fabulous ham. Not sure if all your guests eat or like ham, but you could have a ham carving station, and that would be amazing. Maybe beef and ham carving stations, or ham and turkey breast carving stations...........or just 2 meats on a buffet (you don't say what type of service you are having, buffet or plated meal).

You could then choose some type of potato, veggie, have rolls. If you really want the pasta salad with shrimp, it would fit better here than as an appetizer.

It's always best to go with what is seasonal: I think asparagus is seasonal in July, also green beans.

Good luck. Your menu sounds amazing.
  • Hmmm.....if you're doing it yourself, my focus would be less on the theme and more on things that can easily be made ahead of time and things that are easy to serve.  As much as PPs suggestions are lovely, they don't seem very conducive to DIY. 

I'd consider skipping a separate cocktail menu and just doing one buffet with all of the more snack-like foods, sides, and main courses at once. Can you imagine the logistics of trying to set up two rounds of food on your wedding day?  

In terms of your suggested menu items, I think pasta salad is a great idea. Very easy to make and store ahead of time. The cheese, fruit, and veggies are also an easy thing to DIY.  Mini grilled cheese seems like a questionable idea.  They would likely get soggy before guests had a chance to eat them.  Mini burgers would probably hold up better, but they seem like a lot of work.   A less labor intensive take on the pigs in a blanket might be to put cocktail smokies with bbq sauce in a slow cooker and let people eat them that way.   

I love PPs idea of a ham.  You could order a couple from the grocery store and slice it up the day before the wedding and store it in the refrigerator.  It could be served alongside rolls, gourmet mustard, cheese, and other sandwich fixins so guests can make their own sandwich (takes the work off you!).  You could also offer sliced roasted chicken or turkey from the grocery store for folks who don't like pork. 

Add in a nice green salad (either pre-tossed in a large bowl by you set up like a salad bar) and it sounds like a lovely afternoon lunch.
  • Thank you ladies for your wonderful ideas and suggestions, both of you have helped me out alot because ham was not even on my mind at all and I totally didn't think of the stress a cocktail hour will be as far as me making it myself with mini verisons of finger foods. I realize it doesn't seem pratical at all. Combining the two is a great idea especially the sliced ham and diy sandwhich options. My menu seems alot less stressful now thanks again :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards