Second Weddings

I thought I wanted....

I swore the second time around I wanted a simple, back yard BBQ. I even said I would get married in my jeans.I was married for 15 years the first time and had all the bells and whistles.  Now watching all the wedding shows on TLC, looking at bridal books etc I think I want a wedding wedding. The dress, the cake, the whole nine. Am I crazy? Has this happened to anyone else?
imageAnniversary

Re: I thought I wanted....

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_i-thought-i-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:670c4870-216f-468d-8d04-c0dfff7059c9Post:b80e2a4b-afc1-4807-bb4b-382929204366">I thought I wanted....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I swore the second time around I wanted a simple, back yard BBQ. I even said I would get married in my jeans.I was married for 15 years the first time and had all the bells and whistles.  Now watching all the wedding shows on TLC, looking at bridal books etc I think I want a wedding wedding. The dress, the cake, the whole nine. Am I crazy? Has this happened to anyone else?
    Posted by 20pearls16[/QUOTE]

Yes, this happened to me.  I had the big wedding 1st time round.  This will be my fi's first wedding, I want to make it nice for him.

It started out as a something simple and has grown into a wedding wedding.  I honestly feel guilty sometimes. :(
    Alison - Too stupid to upload a pic
  • I an totally understand that!  That is what they want to happen!  They make all these shows and magazines to almost guilt us into havin a dream wedding.  They make it seem like it isn't official if we don't!

Just remember, at the end of the day, if you are married to your groom the day was a success.

I luckily don't get cable but I do go to barnes and noble and read wedding mags all the time, one could go broke getting married.

Have what you want and don't let society bully you into something else, certainly don't feel guilty!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • Yes and no.

FI and I both had the big, traditional weddings the first time around. We both said we wanted a small, intimate destination wedding since it's the 2nd time for both of us. However, we also have elderly grandparents who aren't in the best of health and want them to be able to attend the wedding. We agreed to have a "backyard" wedding on his grandparents 200 acre farm.

That being said, it has slowly morphed into a guest list of 140 people with all the wedding "details". DJ, catering, big white tent, etc. We do have a modest budget but I'm determined to make it work with the funding we have available.

The nice thing about it being a 2nd wedding? I know what details can be overlooked and skipped completely. And more importantly, I know that no matter what happens on the actual day, I'll still be married at the end of it :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I figured after the first one I would do something simple, quiet and sort of hiding since I thought I would feel weird/guilty. Nope! Big dress, chapel, dinner, photos... Celebration!! I don't have many friends or I would have the huge party reception as well.

You have to do what will ultimately make you and your FI happy. Just don't get caught up in the wedding euphoria because of shows, mags, etc. Pick what suits you (and budget) and go for it!
    Not everyone gets to fall in love under the wing of a 747! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought the same way. I even talked of eloping. My FI didn't want that though. He wants the cake, flowers, family and all the crazy that comes with it. I have become excited about our day. It helps that he is so into the planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards