Registry and Gift Forum

WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY

Hi there!
I just discovered myregistry.com and it is a place for a universal registry where you can add items from multiple sites.  The registry also allows for a "fund" on your registry, i.e. "wedding fund", "honeymoon fund", "house fund", etc.
Well FI and I need a new bedroom set and would like to set up a fund for this.

There is a space to add notes to your cash gift account for your
visitors to view.  And I am stumped! 

Any suggestions on funny/cute wording for a bedroom set fund?

TIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

120 have been sent the invite image
90 are ready to boogie image
26 are party poopers image
4 haven't read the etiquette book image
RSVP DATE : April 10, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY

• It's considered rude to request money of any sort via a registry no matter what it is for.  If you're saving up for a new bedroom set, spread via word of mouth that you're registered at brick & mortar store, but are saving up for a new bedroom set.
  • This is rude.  I agree with PP.
  • Just use some of the cash gifts you are bound to get towards a new bedroom set. That way you do not appear rude by actually asking for cash. Personally if I give a cash gift it is up to the couple to use for what they want. I don't need to have anyone earmark the cash gift for anything specific.
  • Not a fan of any of these "fund" type registries.  They come off as greedy to me.  Especially the house fund.  No one can buy you a house and that is something you should be doing yourself anyway.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    :bangs head on desk again:

Read the thread directly below this.  You are asking an identical question.  This is the same as asking for cash and is rude, rude, rude.  To quote Stephanie Tanner: "How Rude!"
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wording-bedroom-set-fund-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:764fbcee-4c9d-41be-ab51-7b3f4bbb08f1Post:4f2a008a-fc09-440c-ac23-16a728afd80c">Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just use some of the cash gifts you are bound to get towards a new bedroom set. That way you do not appear rude by actually asking for cash. Personally if I give a cash gift it is up to the couple to use for what they want. I don't need to have anyone earmark the cash gift for anything specific.
    Posted by MNVegas[/QUOTE]

This. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Just say no to cash registries.
    Married 10/2/10
  • There is no proper way to do a rude thing.

You cannot ask for cash in any way shape or form.  People know cash is a welcome gift.  If they are comfortable giving cash, they will.  You don't have to tell them to.  

• Allthough whether the cash fund was rude wasn't the question, due to the overwhelming feedback, we've decided against the cash fund.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wording-bedroom-set-fund-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:764fbcee-4c9d-41be-ab51-7b3f4bbb08f1Post:7c594f55-07a8-46e1-98a5-2aa3a1b6a071">Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Allthough whether the cash fund was rude wasn't the question, due to the overwhelming feedback, we've decided against the cash fund. Thanks for your thoughts!
    Posted by LindaPinda43011[/QUOTE]

I know you're new around here and frequent the CT board a lot, so I'm going to give you some advice - lurk for a bit.  It will give you a better sense of how the different boards interact, how people interact, and which topics will get you burned at the stake.

Good luck :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wording-bedroom-set-fund-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:764fbcee-4c9d-41be-ab51-7b3f4bbb08f1Post:7c415968-f10d-4696-b823-c0e47ef0c642">Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY : I know you're new around here and frequent the CT board a lot, so I'm going to give you some advice - lurk for a bit.  It will give you a better sense of how the different boards interact, how people interact, and which topics will get you burned at the stake. Good luck :)
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Ha!  well check off cash registries for getting you burned :) ! 

As a general rule, I know it is not traditionally proper to ask for cash, but since I found the ability to create a fund on a registry, I thought it might be a new acceptable thing to create a fund for something very specific.  Especially with a bedroom set, since the liklihood of someone buying you a dresser off your registry is almost nil.

But thanks for the advice about the boards!  :) Lesson learned. . .

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would just use any money that comes in as a wedding gift as part of your bedroom fund. In my opinion asking for money in any way, shape, or form is just plain rude and tacky.
    You know you are truly blessed when you find that one who completes you,makes you totally happy, and feels your pain from the other room. The one you feel lost without, the one that makes you laugh, the one that makes you cry. The one that makes you wonder how you can be so lucky. Congratulations to everyone who has found "the one."
  • You can spread that information by word of mouth.  If people ask your parents where you are registered, they can say "XYZ, and they are also saving for a new bedroom set."
    Married 10/2/10
  • Did you seriously just quote stephanie tanner? LOVE IT!!!
  • I'm seriously baffled about how up-in-arms people get about cash gifts or cash registries.

I, personally, think it's a tad rude, but I don't think anybody is going to refuse coming to my wedding because I threw it out there that I would like some cash. I plan on a honeymoon registry. I know that's got just as bad of a reputation, but travel is a HUGE part of me and Fi's life. (I mean, we bough the ring in Rome and he proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris!)... our families and friends all know this, so I doubt anyone is going to freak out. In my opinion, OP, do what you want to do. If somebody thinks it's rude, they won't contribute to it.

• edited September 2010
    [QUOTE]I'm seriously baffled about how up-in-arms people get about cash gifts or cash registries. I, personally, think it's a tad rude, but <strong>I don't think anybody is going to refuse coming to my wedding because I threw it out there that I would like some cash.</strong> I plan on a honeymoon registry. I know that's got just as bad of a reputation, but travel is a HUGE part of me and Fi's life. (I mean, we bough the ring in Rome and he proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris!)... our families and friends all know this, so I doubt anyone is going to freak out. In my opinion, OP, do what you want to do. If somebody thinks it's rude, they won't contribute to it.
    Posted by lalalinny[/QUOTE]
    You're right, they probably won't refuse coming to the wedding, but they'd likely give some major side-eye.

I'm seriously baffled by the "it's your day, you can do <strong>whatever</strong> you want!" "throw etiquette out the window, it's your day!" mentality I see around here and IRL.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_wording-bedroom-set-fund-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:764fbcee-4c9d-41be-ab51-7b3f4bbb08f1Post:b1f19d3a-50f6-4f96-935f-6949630256e1">Re: WORDING FOR "BEDROOM SET FUND" ON MY REGISTRY</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm seriously baffled about how up-in-arms people get about cash gifts or cash registries. I, personally, think it's a tad rude, but I don't think anybody is going to refuse coming to my wedding because I threw it out there that I would like some cash. I plan on a honeymoon registry. I know that's got just as bad of a reputation, but travel is a HUGE part of me and Fi's life. (I mean, we bough the ring in Rome and he proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris!)... our families and friends all know this, so I doubt anyone is going to freak out. In my opinion, OP, do what you want to do. If somebody thinks it's rude, they won't contribute to it.
    Posted by lalalinny[/QUOTE]

Besides that registering for cash is rude. Honeymoon funds are not all that great, because people don't usually buy gifts (including online registries) until a few weeks before the wedding, or the day before! So therefore, you will not have time to plan a honeymoon based on what you are getting in a honeymoon registry. Plan a honeymoon you can afford and use the cash you get to reimburse yourself, or to buy extras while you are away.
  • After we got engaged, our friends and family immediately started asking where we were registered and what we registered for.... Ugh, I was a little overwhelmed (... our wedding was almost a year away). After some thought, we decided we would like some bedroom furniture as well. We explained to those who asked that since my fiance moved into my house with all of my furniture, we would like some new bedroom furniture, so we could have something that was "ours." Everyone we mentioned this to thought it was a great idea, especially since we're both in our 30's and don't need much. We just spread the news by word of mouth, but put the actual furniture on the registry, because our friends and family wanted to  see what we picked out. I was apprehensive at first, but my friends and family said people who wanted to contribute could buy gift cards in an amount they felt comfortable giving. We'll see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards