Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Blusher Veils

I am going wedding dress shopping today and plan on ordering. I have been debating about whether to wear a blusher over my face or not. I am having a traditional/contemporary ceremony and am not sure what the standards are today.  Can't find it in any of my etiquette books so I didn't know if it was still donw today or not. I've been told not to for pictures and for the sake of being able to see my groom. But I want to keep the ceremony as traditional as ever.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Blusher Veils

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Everyone is different.  Lots of girls don't do a veil at all (myself included).  There is no "standard" of today.

Yes, some girls still wear a blusher.  In my personal experience, the only time I've ever seen someone wear one was at a Ukranian Orthodox Catholic service.  The rest of the brides I've seen just wear it down their back or not at all.

Are you getting married at a church?  You could ask the pastor there what their experience is if you want to maintain the "tradition" at the church that they are used to.

How exactly are you having a "traditional/contemporary" ceremony?  What aspects are traditional and what aspects are contemporary?
  • Options
    Thanks!  I am getting married at a church and just don't know what the norm is today.  The traditional/contemporary is my wording. I'm doing a church ceremony but not using the traditional music and vows and all that stuff. Keeping the overall traditions but making it my own.
  • Options
    I just went dress shopping last night and I think the dress you pick makes a huge difference for veils.  I thought about doing a blusher, but it looked so much better with my dress to just do a 1 tier veil.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not planning on wearing one, but of the weddings I've been to, I'd say about half the brides did wear them.

You should be able to try on veils with your dress.  Try a blusher on with it and see how you like it.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Robyn5298Robyn5298 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2010
    It's totally up to you!  I had an outdoor ceremony (not at a church) and opted for a blusher myself.  It was a very sweet moment when my Dad and I got to the end of the aisle and he lifted it back and kissed my cheek.

I agree with previous posters to try it with your gown and see how it looks.  But if you think you'd like one, I say go for it!
  • Options
    I plan on wearing one but its totally up to you and what you want to do. You will definetly know when you put the wedding dresses on

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_blusher-veils?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b22e99dd-e320-4bde-a4af-3765ec7fe29ePost:d803bc10-51ba-4d59-869f-ec3c4550d839">Re: Blusher Veils</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's totally up to you!  I had an outdoor ceremony (not at a church) and opted for a blusher myself.  It was a very sweet moment when my Dad and I got to the end of the aisle and he lifted it back and kissed my cheek. I agree with previous posters to try it with your gown and see how it looks.  But if you think you'd like one, I say go for it!
    Posted by Robyn5298[/QUOTE]

This is what I am doing. When I originally thought of my wedding day 'look' I NEVER thought I'd even want a veil, let alone a blusher veil but I loved how it looked with my dress and the sweetness of having a little moment with my dad as he gives me away. We are having a summer ceremony outside.
  • Options
    i was on the fence about a blusher so i asked my father what he thought (fiance just wanted to be surprised so he didnt give me input) - i was surprised to find my father was shocked i might not have one - he honestly thought every bride wears one.  my dad's not one to really express his feelings or care much for details but i could tell he was pretty upset at the prospect of me not having one - its just part of the picture in his head of giving away his little girl. if you are having someone give you away i'd ask them what they think. it may be viewed as more of a choice these days (which it always is anyways) but most of our fathers & grandfathers aren't up on the fashions & trends - that's the little moment they've dreamed of long before we met our future husband.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards