July 2013 Weddings
Options

Florist Budget

I don't know about other July brides but I have no desire to pay crazy amounts of money for a florist for various reasons. I was considering going with silk flowers when I decided it just wouldn't be the same so I've been researching wholesale flower companies and I think I might attempt to put together all of the flower arrangements etc. (with the help of my crafty mother and FMIL of course) how does everyone else feel about flowers? I would like to spend $800 or less on all flowers and supplies. Does this sound crazy?
Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker July 2013 Knotties April Siggy Challenge - Why July? July 20th 2013 We both love summer!

Re: Florist Budget

• Options
    I think you could pull that off if you're DIYing them.  Flowers are a big deal to me, so I'm budgeting $3,000 for the florist.  We've met with her a few times, and we like her style.

I recently went to a wedding where they DIYed all the flowers, and it was lovely.  They did nonfloral centerpieces though.  My one tip for DIYed flowers (based on what these folks did): after you finish the bouquets, cut all the stems the same length, it looks way more professional!
  • Options
    If you are going to DIY you need to make sure you pic hearty flowers that can last long enough being cut.  Because normally while you are doing prewedding setting up and getting dressed they are taking care of the flowers.  We have a family friend who is a florist and she is doing them at cost for us so I got really really lucky in this department.  What kind of flowers were you thinking of??  And how about the color maybe we can help you figure out what is the best for your area price and you have to remember its the summer.  Is it an inside or outside wedding?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm not big on the whole flower thing. I fail miserably at making flowers look nice. And they always end up wilting after a few hours. Plants die at the sight of me.

My mom wants flowers though, which is fine with me, but I already told her I'm not going to put a lot of effort into them because I'll just kill them and make them look hideous. She has taken it upon herself to buy the vases and flowers herself.
    She is going to buy small vases at yard sales and thrift shops. She is thinking of putting three vases on every table with one or two flowers in each vase. I have no idea what the budget is. She is a very frugal woman and will resort to stealing flowers from the neighbors if she needs to. Hahaha.

I'm making my bouquet out of hand made fabric flowers. They are less likely to die as I'm walking down the aisle.
    July 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Accessories photo _7466333.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I plan on having some of my flowers done by a florist (WP flowers) and then I plan on doing the centerpieces on my own. Sam's Club sells bulk flowers for very reasonable prices and I plan on using just one type (hydrangeas) in my centerpieces. 
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Florist Budget:[QUOTE]I'm not big on the whole flower thing. I fail miserably at making flowers look nice. And they always end up wilting after a few hours. Plants die at the sight of me.Posted by CKSillyPants[/QUOTE]

Lol this is sooo me! My dad gave us a tomato plant, a bosenberry bush and a cherry tree. 3 wks in and they look like poor little saplings. There WERE tomatoes on it and now it's just yellowing. Every time I walk past plants or flowers in a store I look and say "wanna come home and die"? Lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm going with a florist for some things, because I don't want to mess it up or have to worry about it on the day of/day before.  Bouquets and bouts/corsages for sure and maybe some of the centerpieces.  My mom and sister fell in love with tall centerpieces, and I really like them too, but they can be so expensive.   I'm probably going to have about 30 tables, so I figure have 1/4-1/3 tall and then the rest short and/or non-floral.  I figure I'd have the florist do at least the tall ones and maybe the short.  I'll the the non-floral myself :)  I'm hoping for $800 or so too, so here's hoping I'm not crazy!  Flowers are nice, but they're not THAT important to me!
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I was planning on DIY with flowers ordered from Sam's Club.  For bouquets, bouts, corsages, 6 pomanders with some left over it was going to be $250 including supplies.  That was for 25 large pink asian lilies, 50 tiny alstromeria lilies, 150 pink carnations, and 100 roses (combination pink & white).  With the reception venue we picked I'm not sure I care as much as the flowers anymore.  I feel like the ones I picked are almost too "fancy" for our rustic looking restaurant. I might just pick up some seasonal local flowers the day before and put them in a simple hand toss bouquet instead.  It would be an easy way to cut a few hundred dollars out of our budget, and I can make the decision up to a month before, lol.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    I haven't really considered much about flowers yet. I'd like floral centrepieces, but if it's not affordable, I'll just do an arrangement for the guestbook table and bouquets for the WP. I'd consider DIYing those pieces, but I really don't want to DIY all the centrepieces (if they end up being floral).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    keyaira04keyaira04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_florist-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:be0f49d8-3987-449a-8c19-2921187fdbbfPost:4fecafdc-26bf-4a7b-af3b-4927fc0236c4">Re: Florist Budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was planning on DIY with flowers ordered from Sam's Club. 
    Posted by flutterbride2b[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Same here. Our wedding is mostly baby breathe, white roses and white carnations. My mother has done flower arrangements since I was little, so she's in charge of that. Also, I plan to use the cermony flowers at the reception. </div><div>
    </div><div>I've budget $400, but really do not think I will use it all. I do not think $800 or less is carzy at all; it can be done. 

</div>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    I really love peonies but I know it's going to be virtually impossible to get peonies in July that's why I have no desire to have flowers at all, but I'm thinking maybe ranunculus, roses, and hydrangea's.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker July 2013 Knotties April Siggy Challenge - Why July? July 20th 2013 We both love summer!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_florist-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:be0f49d8-3987-449a-8c19-2921187fdbbfPost:1a4df2a4-2008-4cba-af5a-c76e9730d711">Re: Florist Budget</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really love peonies but I know it's going to be virtually impossible to get peonies in July that's why I have no desire to have flowers at all, but I'm thinking maybe ranunculus, roses, and hydrangea's.
    Posted by trent13[/QUOTE]

I was sad about the same thing, I wanted peonies! but they cost a FORTUNE in july (you can get them though)

<a href="http://www.fiftyflowers.com/flowers/AllFlowersPeoniesPeonyFlowersinJuly_24123.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.fiftyflowers.com/flowers/AllFlowersPeoniesPeonyFlowersinJuly_24123.htm</a> Here's a link where you can buy them wholesale, these are there prices for peonies in July specifically. 

If you love peonies, try garden roses, they have a real peony look.  (There is even a kind called a 'peony rose', that looks similar at a fraction of the cost. 

<a href="http://www.fiftyflowers.com/flowers/AllFlowersRosesGardenRoses_23698.htm?cur_page=2" rel="nofollow">http://www.fiftyflowers.com/flowers/AllFlowersRosesGardenRoses_23698.htm?cur_page=2</a>

Here's a link to them. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much I also found wholeblosoms.com has them year round I might just have my bouquet with peonies or I might just not have as many because the do cost a fortune :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards