Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Fountain/Dessert Buffet

Hey all,

I'm planning on having a white chocolate fountain at my reception since a friend owns a company and is letting me rent it out for free for the evening. We're only responsible for supplying the items for dipping in the white chocolate. (I wanted white to keep things less messy, plus it's my favorite kind of chocolate.) I'm also interested in having a dessert buffet. Anyways, my question is how could I make a dessert buffet out of things that can be dipped in chocolate? What types of things could double as a dessert on their own but still be dipped or drizzled on?? Haha. OH, we're also having cupcakes in place of our cake, so I don't want there to be tooooo much going on!! Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Lisa

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fountain/Dessert Buffet

• Cookies, pretzels, pound cake, and all kinds of fruit.  I definitely do not think that would be too much.  

Have you tried out your friend's fountain?  Chocolate fountains can be messy, and the chocolate needs to be blended with oil (I think) so that it will flow through the fountain, so it might taste weird.  We just had a chafing dish of chocolate on our dessert buffet and skipped the fountain.
  • Rice krispy bars are fun to dip too. Sounds yummy! I don't think I've ever seen a white chocolate fountain, but I like the idea!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Chocolate fountains (any kind of chocolate) are the most god-awful messy things on the face of the earth.  There is nothing that makes them neater. Nothing.

But yeah...pretzels, butter cookies or Oreos, pound  cake pieces, rice krispie treats cut in small pieces, strawberries, banana slices, potato chips. 

FWIW, a friend attended a wedding that had one of these, and a group of the groom's friends got plastered at the open bar and ended up sticking their tongues and faces in the chocolate fountain.  The bride was in tears and I'm pretty sure the participating groomsmen didn't get their tux deposits back.  :P
  • cookies fruit rice creaspies pound cake rebeccab88 why potato chips

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_fountaindessert-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:e342d6ef-6344-4fd0-a4c4-4df988c5b4cdPost:47c01915-1535-422e-870e-b85bcc953b96">Re: Fountain/Dessert Buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE] rebeccab88 why potato chips
    Posted by leandra+xavier[/QUOTE]

Because chocolate covered potato chips are surprisingly awesome.  Doesn't seem like they would be, but they are.  Sweet/salty combo.
  • Strongly ditto PP about fruit:  I've thrown several chocolate fondue parties, and the fruit is always the most popular dipper, esp. strawberries (fresh pineapple and bananas are great, too).  Also peanut butter cookies, coconut macaroons, pretzel rods, pound/angel food cake and small squares of cheesecake (I use plain cheesecake with regular chocolate, for dipping in white chocolate, I'd use chocolate or marbled cheesecake). 

Is the reception indoors or outside?  Wind can wreak havoc with chocolate fountains ...
  • I have indeed tested the chocolate (not white chocolate) but I've had their fountains at other parties (graduation, etc) and it tasted amazing! :) I've never had a bad experience with their fountains.

RebeccaB88, thanks for the heads up about the immature friends. I'll make sure to clear the fountain out of the reception hall early enough that it won't cause issues with drunken guests. :) My fiance doesn't really have many friends (we're very private people), so hopefully that won't be anything for me to worry about!

Thanks for all the replies about what to serve!

April 2013 - October Siggy Challenge: Venue

Save the Date - Music Poster Inspired STD's

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is there anything that isn't good dipped in chocolate??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards