Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

First look photos?

FH and I keep wavering on whether we'd like to take first look photos or save the first time we see each other for the ceremony. I'd love to get a lot of our photos out of the way prior to the ceremony, and the idea of spending our cocktail hour mingling with guests instead of being off taking pictures is really appealing! However, I always think it's romantic when the bride and groom wait to see each other until the moment she walks down the aisle. That's always such a special moment at weddings.

Any advice, ladies? Please help me decide! :)

Re: First look photos?

• A friend of mine did first look photos. She said it was really special to really savor that time together before the ceremony. And it was still a special moment as their eyes met just before she and her dad walked down the aisle. Ultimately, the choice can only be made by you and your FI. First look photos are right for some, others don't feel comfortable with them. Just do what feels right to you two.
  • I usually hear only good things about doing first look photos. My personal preference would be to have them, because I know fiance and I want that moment to be private (minus the photographer obviously) because we'd be so emotional. If you wanted to do some photos, and a few moments together, you could always have him around the corner or blindfolded etc: that way, you still get time together but he doesn't see you. But as Bonzo said, it really is what feels right for the two of you :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-photos-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:54f77ac0-8891-4677-ab59-569d0dd7a447Post:27978196-8a50-41a4-9e70-eed8d65339d1">Re: First look photos?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I usually hear only good things about doing first look photos. My personal preference would be to have them, <strong>because I know fiance and I want that moment to be private (minus the photographer obviously) because we'd be so emotional. </strong>If you wanted to do some photos, and a few moments together, you could always have him around the corner or blindfolded etc: that way, you still get time together but he doesn't see you. But as Bonzo said, it really is what feels right for the two of you :)
    Posted by Bay21[/QUOTE]
    This is my sentiment as well. I am looking forward to sharing that moment with just my FI, without the other 200 people. They'll still see us a little while later.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • We're doing the first look/reveling. For a few reasons
    - I want to be able to hug and kiss him when we first see each other
    - more romantic/personal
    - MUCH easier for pictures, our ceremony site is a block from the reception site so we can't go anywhere easily afterwards to get pictures so we plan to stop at  park or two on the way to the ceremony. 

My main advice is that if you decide to do the first look make sure you have somewhere special to do it, by the water, park, where you first meet...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I did a first look and it did not in any way take away from my ceremony "moment". Walking in to see my fiance was a powerful moment. We were beginning the ceremony of our marriage. It was still super special even though we had already seen each other and spent a couple hours together beforehand. My husband cried when he saw me at our first look and then cried again at the ceremony. IMO the first look does not detract from the ceremony feeling. The other pluses were we were able to get more of a variety of photos of us and our bridal party by doing pics beforehand and I loved spending cocktail hour with our guests.
  • I loved my first look. It was my favorite moment of the day, but I also LOVED seeing him at the ceremony. True, I'll never know how I would have felt at the ceremony if we hadn't seen each other, but I don't care. I got to have two incredibly special moments not just one.
  • We did a first look. It was a special private moment between us. I don't regret it at all.  It didn't take away from us first seeing each other as I walked down the aisle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't doubt that people who choose a first look are perfectly happy with it. We've opted not to simply because I've always thought that the first time he'd see me in the dress would be when I walk down the aisle. FI agrees and he doesn't even want to know what my dress looks like and wants that moment too. Not to be argumentative but obviously no one who opted for the first look can attest to whether it made the walk down the aisle different. You've already changed those variables when you did a first look. I've considered it because like a PP our church and reception venue are very close so travel time between ceremony to reception is nothing; they're literally across the street from one another. But between the two is a village green with trees and benches which will make for a lovely backdrop to our photos, I think. 

We've conceded that we'll likely miss the cocktail hour but that's what works for us. We're also doing some pictures beforehand, just not together- me and my family, me and the BM, my groom and his family, groom and GM. Definitely weigh your options and I'm sure whatever you two decide will be the right choice for you guys!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We chose to do a first look because I knew I would be a nervous wreck if I had to go all day without seeing DH before the ceremony. Plus our reception venue had great backgrounds that needed to be used during daylight for photos ahead of time - we did first look and wedding party photos then went back to the church for the ceremony.

Also, DH loves to see me in dresses, and some of my favorite first look photos are the ones where I'm twirling for him and he's admiring my attire. :) If we had not done a first look, that whole moment would have been lost for us.
  • Thanks for your input, ladies. This is making me lean towards doing first look photos!
  • I was really against doing a first look for the longest time.  I wanted that moment we saw each other to be on the aisle and the whole traditional thing.  But once we met with our photographer 4 weeks before the wedding to go over our timeline, I realized how much strain that would put on our schedule (we would have literally only had about 10 mintues to do pictures with just H and I) and pictures were one of our highest priorities throughout our planning process.

I finally gave-in to the first look idea and I'm so glad I did.  I loved seeing H before the wedding, just the two of us, because it gave us a chance to hug/kiss/talk/show off our attire, which we couldn't have done at the altar.  It was very stress free, doing all of our group pictures, we weren't rushed, we weren't interrupted...it was nice.  And then coming down the aisle was still really special because that's the first time all of our guests saw us, and I still had butterflies seeing H waiting for me.  And then we had the entire cocktail hour to do pics of just H and I, with perfect lighting (my siggy pic is after the wedding) and more privacy with just the two of us (and our photographers).

For how busy the whole day was, and how many people we had to see and talk to, I absolutely cherish the picture time we had for just the two of us. 
    Anniversary
  • Me and FI are still contemplating on if we should take photos before the ceremony. When FI brother got married, his wife surprised him by running into the picture and kissing him. He had no idea when it was going to happen and it was such a special moment for the two.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards