May 2013 Weddings

Shower Time Dilemma

What time are you having your shower?  My FSIL is throwing mine and wants to do it at 11AM.  her reasoning is that she thinks we will have a better turnout, and her husband (Best Man) wants to do the bachelor party that evening (my Fi is not thrilled about this...he doesn't want his party over a month before the wedding). so that our out of town family will only have to come down for one day.  I know a big part of the reason really is her kid's nap schedule.  she wants everyone out of her house by naptime.  I was thinking more like 1PM, especially because my family all live about 45 minutes from where the shower is taking place (FSIL's house) so they'd have to leave their houses at around 10AM if we did it at 11. Is it wierd to have a shower that early in the day?  Part of me just wants to say whatever just let me know what time to be there! But part of me is annoyed that she's pushing me to have it at a time that she wants it just because of her kids nap schedule. Thoughts? 
Wedding Countdown TickerLilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Shower Time Dilemma

• Honestly, from what I let my ladies ... there planning it entirely without me, although I do know the details I let them pick it all. Mine will be at 5 pm, originally was going to be a lunchtime affair but to me honestly doesn't matter.
  • My mother is throwing my BS. It's on March 10th, which is 2 months and 8 days before my wedding. And it's at 1pm. I thought that was early but she's going to do a lunch spread - and depending on how large your shower is...you may have A TON of gifts to open. I went to a shower at 11 and we didn't leave until almost 4....
  • I am not having a shower but I think 11 am on a weekend day is fine. If I got that invite I wouldn't side eye it.
  • As we all know, I already had my shower.  It was from either 11-4 or 12-4 I don't fully remember
    May 2013 FebSiggy... Invite... Different Type of Ribbon/Knot Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My MOH is planning mine. She asked was 3 or 4 good for me. I said 4 just make sure FI will be home because he has to work that weekend so he can be with the kids. Mine is in April only because March is birthday month for my mediate family me, sisters, mom , dad. We make a big deal of our bdays. and then bff, uncle and 2 aunts..all in march lol
  • My MOH is planning mine, too, and the party will be 3-5pm on Sunday, 3/31.  It has to be those hours because the restaurant mine is at doesn't open until 3:00 pm.
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think her reasoning is fine. It does make sense to have it at a time when she knows she can handle everything as smoothly as possible. Plus. as others have already mentioned, it might last for several hours. It might be easier to take up a big chunk of time during the day than to wait until dinnertime and then have the party go too late. If it was at 5, some people might want to leave by 7. By having it at 11, people might not feel as rushed. You mention driving time. A later time would mean driving in the dark or late at night. This is all just my opinion of course. Personally,I would much rather drive for an hour earlier in the day to get to the bridal shower and be able to leave while it's still light out and not too late.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I prefer events like that to happen earlier in the day, especially if I'm the host. I can relax longer afterwards. And as a mother, I always try to schedule things around nap time. It makes life hectic at times, but it's easier than dealing with possible meltdowns.
    May 2013 October Siggy - The Honeymoon Walt Disney & Daytona Beach imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • My shower is scheduled for March 23 at 2pm. Some of my extended family lives 2.5 hours away so we thought it best to have it midday so they don't have to leave too early and can get on the road before its completely dark. I don't think there is anything wrong with 11am though. I would be fine with that time.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom is throwing mine at 1 PM. It's on a Sunday.
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge
    Cake
    my read shelf:
    Becky's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is also at 1 on a Sunday.  I've been to brunch showers starting at 11ish and I think they are totally fine.
  • My aunt is throwing a family shower for me on Saturday, 3/2. It will start at 2, I believe. And a woman at my mom's church is throwing me one also but I'm not sure when it will be yet. Probably a Saturday afternoon at the end of March or early in April
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! We went with the 11am shower time and sent out the invites.  go figure THE DAY i send out the invites that evening i get the mail and find his cousin's fiancee is having her shower the same day! Thankfully hers isn't until 2pm so his family can make it to both. (i've been informed some will leave mine early some will be late to hers, i'm fine with that) I was surprised when I got her invite....her wedding isn't until the end of June...seems a little early but its obvious I'm not a bridal shower expert!
    Wedding Countdown TickerLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Mine's at 10 a.m. on a Saturday, invite says brunch will be served. I like it that way-- people can leave by lunchtime and still have their Saturday.
    gettin' hitched 05.04.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards