Chit Chat
Options

HURRAY HURRAY HURRAY!! (long)

Ok, so my parents have never been very supportive of me. I've worked since I was 11 for anything and everything I wanted, and a lot of times needed (besides food and house). When I turned 18, I started paying my parents rent, and when I started college, I've been paying that on my own, too. I've bought all my own cars and paid insurance, cell phone bill and everything else for as long as I can remember. In fact, when I was still living at home I always bought more food for the house than I ever ate.
I'm the oldest of 6 girls and my parents have helped pay my younger sister's college and give them all allowances and gotten cars for them, etc.,... So it's not like my parents don't have money. 

I admit, it's been a good thing, because I'm more independent than any of my other sisters and work hard for what I have and appreciate it more because of that. Parentals DO love me, I know, my mom has been super excited and helpful with wedding planning. They are forking out the cash to buy my sister's dresses (they're all in my wedding party) AND opening their home for our wedding (we're getting married in my parent's flower garden and having the reception in their VERY large sunroom). 

FI and I have a very limited budget because we're both still in college (he graduates in May and has a decent savings, but no solid job yet; I have a decently paying job that now pays for my school and then his once we're married). We were trying to plan it for under $1000 so that we would have money for life afterward. 

Here's the hurray... my parents just announced that they're giving me and FI $1000 for the wedding/whatever we need it for!!! OMGOSH!!!! I'm just so excited!! Can you believe it?? Anyway, now I can stop saying, "FI and I are paying for this wedding completely on our own..." :D
*marc & catrina*
*10.9.10*

Re: HURRAY HURRAY HURRAY!! (long)

• Options
    Congratulations!  I'm a natural cynic and would wonder what sorts of strings are attached, but that's just me. :)  My parents have helped me out a lot, but also encouraged independence which helped me appreciate all I do have.  I have nothing but respect for anyone who's worked for everything. Good luck with your wedding!

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    I'm glad that you're getting help for the wedding.  But a little bit of a cynical piece for me as well.  Don't completely celebrate until you have a check that you've deposited in your account.

An offer is one thing.   From Jerry Maguire  "Show me the Money!" is another.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies. Actually, that's what I was worried about at first, too, but surprisingly my mom is just being helpful and isn't pushing her way with anything. My mom does have a history of living vicariously through me, and while this is no exception, there haven't been any strings. They said that it's for the wedding for things we were planning on skipping to save money (florist, dj, videographer, etc.,...) and/or afterward (honeymoon, washer/dryer, living expenses, etc.,...) soooooo I'm pretty stoked. Obviously, so is the FI [:
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Options
    seshat - that does sound like it could be frustrating. at least your mom is eager to help! maybe you guys could discuss exactly what you want and make sure that you guys set a budget (both for her AND yourself) and make sure she sticks to it! but if she wants to spend money on you, that's on her, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it (i know, easier said than done). best to you and your FI! not too much longer!
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards