Florida-Central Florida
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions - Downtown

Hey there!  Let me know what you think of the following places, or add your suggestions for our rehearsal dinner in the DT or Thornton Park area.  We will be staying at the Embassy, so walking distance or use of their shuttle is preferable.  We will have approx 40 people. 

Hue
Dexters
Urban Flats
Ceviche
The Rusty Spoon

thanks! 

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions - Downtown

• Options
    edited December 2011

mmm I love Ceviche's! Urban Flats I feel is a little too casual. I haven't tried the other places but have been meaning to.

• Options
    Choco9Choco9 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are huge foodies.  Here's my take:

Hue - it's ok, a little overly-trendy and over-priced for quality

Dexters - much better pricing here, but it is LOUD and can be crazy in the Thornton Park location.  If they had a more private area, I would consider it.  Food is decent for price.

Urban Flats - I wouldn't do it.

Ceviche - More of a fun atmosphere but you want to make sure everyone likes sharing (tapas).  People generally like it here when they visit, hopefully some of your people know each other well enough to have a more open, sharing vibe.

The Rusty Spoon - You won't save money here but I think they are the best food of what you listed.  This would be my choice after I called to see what kind of room they have. 

Good luck.
  • Options
    nlovesj22nlovesj22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice!  Any other places I didn't mention you would suggest?  What about Kres?? It may be a little too pricey.. not sure how the food is.  We don't live in Orlando, so I've only looked up places on yelp.  
  • Options
    Choco9Choco9 member
    edited December 2011
    Kres is indeed expensive.  Let me think about this...

It really depends on what you are after.  Casual?  More steakhouse-esque?

For quality of food, of what you listed, I would call Rusty Spoon to see if they can do a menu for you that is a couple different choices.  Also see if they have a private area (I have been there a lot but we always sit in the same place=).  My fiance is a chef and is friends with the chef/owner (Kathleen Blake) and her husband is the manager.  His name is William and that is who I would ask for when calling (he's really nice and should be helpful).  RS is a locally-sourced restaurant with (in my opinion) quality dishes.  The acoustics are bad in there but again, maybe they have a private area.

Ceviche would be my next choice, it's loud but fun and they should have an area for that many people.  It isn't really going to be much less if you order a ton of tapas.

Ones you didn't mention that could be possibilities:

Spice steakhouse (on Lake Eola) has a party room up to 40 people.  I was at a party there once it was nice and the food was good.  Not outstanding.  But good.

Citrus is Hue's sister restaurant and I like it much better than Hue.  It's a little less "trying-too-hard" if that makes sense.  I think they might have private space.

Terrace 390 is new and I have heard some good things.  I have not yet been.  It's the place where Casey Anthony's lawyers went to party after they won, lol.  Worth checking out I think.

If you want way more casual I know of fun places downtown too, but these would all make for a "nice" dinner.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much!  The Rusty Spoon sounds exactly what I'm looking for.. casual gourmet.  I will def contact them.  If that doesn't work, I think I should shy away from a steakhouse, since our reception menu is kind of geared towards that.  

Ceviche might be too loud, I think.  I've been to the original in Tampa several times and it's always good though.  

I think Citrus has their event menus online and I will check out Terrace 390 as well.  I had also come across K Restaurant, which seemed interesting and had good reviews.  Thoughts?    
  • Options
    Choco9Choco9 member
    edited December 2011
    K is a little further than a walk or shuttle probably (just a little).  The chef there is very talented but the last few times we have been it was inconsistent (super salty the last 2 times).  Service is ALWAYS good though, and it is divided up into a couple rooms of a "house."  If they could fit you all in one portion of the house it could work great, and is cozy.  We have done group meals there (way under 40 though) and always had a good time.  If you love a bit of theatrics with your server, you could ask to have Rocky (I think) ... he's a super flamboyant older guy who jokes the entire time.  If you have fun people who don't get offended easily and like to have fun, you want this guy for the memories, LOL.

All in all, it's good food (Italian-oriented menu with some fish and steak in there too)
    and we tend to be pretty picky.  Most people would really like it I think.  As we do, most of the time.

I still vote Rusty Spoon, first, if they have room for you.  When is your wedding?  If it's in fall, this would be even better because, as a locally-sourced place, the food will be incredible this time of year when it cools off.  We will be there a lot this fall. =) 

The only other thing about Ceviche is if you have older folks in your party they might not love the style of food.  I know if my granny were alive she would have scoffed at it.

I love talking about food. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you know a lot about food too!  I'm sure it helps your FI is a chef :)

Our wedding is at the end of January, so I don't really think its an ideal time for locally sourced food???  For our caterer we are using Tony from Big Wheel Catering (the Big Wheel Food Truck), who also locally sources food.  We just had our tasting and it was awesome!  

Just out of curiousity, who are you using for your wedding for catering? 
  • Options
    Choco9Choco9 member
    edited December 2011
    We are using Arthurs as they are the exclusive caterer to our venue, but Big Wheel stuff is very good!  We would have chosen Arthur's no matter what because we have a personal relationship with some planners there. 
  • Options
    lineybeanlineybean member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing my rehearsal at ceviche, but we have a large group so we have the banquet room upstairs which s much quieter. I always enjoy the food there, and having many out of town guests myself thought the different atmosphere would be nice since they can expect the usual chicken steak at the wedding the following night.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I didn't realize there was an upstairs banquet room.  How many people are you having? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards