Arkansas

How to beat the heat at an outdoor wedding

I have found a venue I would really like for my reception, but for Saturdays, they require you to have the ceremony at the site also.  There is no space large enough inside to have all the guests in one room to have the ceremony, so it has to be outside.  We were thinking July, and anyone in Arkansas knows, it's hot and muggy in July.  Does anyone have any tips for outdoor weddings in the heat - for the guests and the wedding party?  I was thinking of providing paper fans and drinks like lemonade to help keep the guests happy while waiting, but would like any other ideas.

Re: How to beat the heat at an outdoor wedding

• jlk67jlk67 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

My daughter was in a wedding in Tulsa last 4th of July weekend.  It was outside.  She said they had the indoor space open before the wedding so everyone could stay cool.  Then right before the ceremony started, they had everyone go outside and sit down. 

I would make the ceremony as short as possible.  We got married in July and it was 99 degrees.  It would have been unbearable for some guests to be outside for very long.  What time of day are you planning to have it?  Evening would be much better since the sun wouldn't be beating down on your guests.  We went to an outdoor wedding a couple years ago and we were sunburnt.  

• melissak1qmelissak1q member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a very hot July wedding. The ceremony was the only portion outdoor. Before the wedding, we were inside and offered cold water that we could take out to the ceremony with us. After the ceremony  we came back inside for cold drinks, wine and finger foods.

I can't imagine having to stay outdoor for the entire ceremony and reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hannahweddinghannahwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter's wedding reception was outdoors and it was 80 degrees that day so we provided silk folding fans (with their names and the date printed on them) and also served gelato at the reception. Both were a big hit with guests. Friends still use their folding fans now, two years later. :) I think we ordered the fans from the knot website and were very happy with the quality.
    daughter's wedding
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards