Registry and Gift Forum

International Registry

Hello all!  I've been lurking the last few days, but I've got a question I'm hoping ya'll can give me some advice on.  I moved to France last year to start my new life with my fiance, we're in the middle of renovating a house for us to live in, and we're having the Catholic ceremony this October back in Illinois where I'm from and most of my family still is.

From having been here a year, I've learned one very important thing, shipping costs are insane.  I'm pretty sure most of my family will choose to give cash (unasked for of course) but a few will want to buy physical gifts.  As tradition states that they are generally shipped to the  couple in advance, I would like to do all I can to help them avoid these insane shipping charges. 

My thought was to create a registry on Amazon.fr (easily translatable with Google) so that they could purchase things online and they be shipped from warehouses here.  That would also avoid any problems with appliances not working, or trying to pack china safely for the plane ride back.  What do you guys think?  I was hoping Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel would have international stores, but alas, they do not.

Thoughts, suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Re: International Registry

• I completely agree with you! I was trying to do the same thing bc I live in NY and some of my relatives live in the Dominican Republic and wanted to send actual gifts. Instead they shopped online at American websites (pottery barn, macys, bed bath and beyond) and had it shipped to me.

Maybe you can find a French home/houseware store that your American relatives can go into and shop for things and have them delivered to your address in France.

Amazon sounds like a great idea, but the only setback would be the delivery dates. Being that items arent always in stock at the nearest warehouse, it might take up to a month (sometimes a littl over a month) to have something sent to you. (i've had that problem before).

If all else fails, cash is always GREAT... but allow them to come to that decision. Make your registry as easy for others as possible, as you WILL have those folks that don't know SQUAT about weddings or registries, and you will have those others that just like to gossip about the negatives.

As long as you and your future husband are happy with what you've decided to do, everything else will fall into place.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    I think the Amazon idea is going to work the best.  My cousin and his wife got married in her home country, then came to the US, and while traditionally, her culture only gives gifts for weddings, they only received cash since everyone knew it would be impossible to get gifts home safely.  I think a lot, if not all of your guests will go this route.  If you would prefer cash, keep your registry really small, most people will put small registry and different country together and figure that cash is the best gift for you.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Most major retailers will ship worldwide now - check out Macy's and Bloomingdales for ones off the top of my head that I know ship internationally.  Honestly the rates aren't bad at all if you do it through the store instead of paying for postage yourself because the stores contract with international carriers, etc to make shipping rates lower (like Amazon does with UPS).  The problem with Amazon.fr is that it's in french, and even with the english translation button it could be uncomfortable for your American guests.  Having gifts shipped from US stores to France is not the hard thing - It's having guests overseas ship to you in the US that's really hard from a retail perspective.  Register at a store in France for your french guests and a store that ships internationally for your American guests, and you will be set.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aphraelaphrael member
    First Comment
    thanks, that might actually work, if i can get the FI to let me choose stuff (like china) without having to see it first.  With the new house, we actually do need everything, since if it didn't fit in a suitcase, I left it behind. :)

I agree with you, the translated site is still very confusing.  I might keep it around just in case, but it's not really a tradition around here, so it'd be more for us.

I'll be happy with whatever my guests do, if they choose to give cash, it'll go into the house renovation, and if they choose to give gifts, I'll be glad to not have to prioritize everything (yes, Dear, I know that drywall comes before cutlery;))

I just want to make it the easiest and most cost effective for them, and hopefully avoid putting dishes in my suitcase :)  Thanks!
  • aphraelaphrael member
    First Comment
    ah wait, I remember now..while lots of US stores will ship to France, they won't let me have a registry with a French shipping address....grrr.
  • hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_international-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4e9c416b-5def-4927-9cc9-022135dd050bPost:adae42a8-d475-4c6e-950a-4f7661e15137">Re: International Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]ah wait, I remember now..while lots of US stores will ship to France, they won't let me have a registry with a French shipping address....grrr.
    Posted by aphrael[/QUOTE]

<div>In this case I would put a domestic US address with the registry retailer, and then put your french address on your website with details so people know how to get gifts to you that are on your registry by using websites like macys.  Sorry this is a pain!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you guys ever heard of Zankyou? They have an international registry and it's a cash registry too. My friend used it since she is American and her husband is Italian because they have the wedding website available in all different languages and it worked really great for them and their American/Italian/European wedding guests. This is the website but I think they have it in France, too. http://wwwzankyou.com/us
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards