Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Dress sample sizes

Hi everyone! Hope you all are having a good weekend and enjoying the sunshine : I went dress shopping for the first time yesterday and have a question for those who have already found a dress. How much did the dress sample size affect your final choice? I found a dress that I really like but the sample was 5 sizes bigger than me so I felt like I couldn't get a good enough idea to be positive that this is the one. I'm thinking about seeing if another shop carries a sample in a size closer to mine, but then again I don't if size would have mattered if it were really the one. I guess I won't know till I try, but I'm curious to see if anyone has had similar experience?

Re: Dress sample sizes

• Options
    Good question. The sample of the dress I ended up choosing was at least a few sizes off. I loved the dress anyway, but it definitely can cast some uncertainty with the sizing. I actually had someone else who was with me try the dress on and got to see it as it was actually supposed to fit. Then, I was 100% sold. When my dress came in and I tried it back on in my size, I loved it even more. Good luck!
  • Options
    My sample size dress was a 24 and after measurements I ordered a size 10 in it.  Your consultant should know how to make any dress give you a really good idea of how it will look in the right size for your body. 
  • Options
    I tried on a size 8 and I needed a few sizes up. My consultant worked her magic to make the dress look great. Also I want a fuller skirt than the one I am wearing so my consultant showed me what it would look like with a crinoline under it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I think if you really love the dress you'll figure it out. I tried on a variety of sizes (from a 2 at some fancy bridal boutique which felt like it fit one thigh to an 18 that was way too big at Davids Bridal). I usually wear a 10 but in wedding dress size that seems to translate into a 12 or 14. 

The sample for the dress I chose was too small but it just felt right when I put it on even with those big clamps they use to keep it on you in either direction. If the person working with you is good about pinning it to make it contour around your figure at least for the most part, that should give you a good indication of the dress. If you don't like it even if it's too big but pinned together to be more form fitting, I doubt the right size would affect things that much. Regardless though, good luck!
    Married since May 12, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards