Pre-wedding Parties

What are you doing for the Rehearsal Dinner?

FH's dad wrote us a $500 check to pay for the rehearsal dinner.  We have a small wedding party, so I am really grateful for the amount he gave us.  We are catering Mexican food for the wedding, so I'm having trouble figuring out where to have the rehearsal dinner.  I figured I would see what others are doing and see if anything sparks an idea for me :)

Re: What are you doing for the Rehearsal Dinner?

• The great thing about RDs is that you can have them almost anywhere with almost anyone.  You can make it as small or big as you'd like.  How small is your WP?  If you had under ten people maybe attending you could maybe go out for a nice meal.  

Of course you can always invite immediate family members and OOT guests, in which case something more casual would be appropriate.  We had ours catered by the same company that did our wedding, and they had a number of fun menus that we didn't choose for the menu - so we did a luau theme for our RD.  
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Ours is being catered by the same group that is doing the wedding reception, but with a completely different menu and location.  We have a lot of OOT wedding party, and we were able to hold our RD across the street from the Church, so it made the most sense.  The nice thing about the RD is that no matter how formal your wedding is, the RD can be as formal or informal as you like.  We put convenience to the RD guests as our top priority, and then decided the formality around our budget.
  • edited June 2012
    We had it at our favorite local Italian restaurant we both grew up eating at. The food was great and it was inexpensive.

You can really do ANYthing for a RD, as long as you are hosting something for your rehearsal guests. Mexican sounds great! It could be as simple as pizza and beer (or pop) or a backyard BBQ.

ETA: As to where to have it, if it's a small amount of people, would one of you have enough room at your house so you wouldn't have to rent out a space? I also know some of our parks have picnic areas that are covered with a bunch of picnic tables that can be reserved (for free) ahead of time. If it'll be warm out for your RD, this is an option.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • We technically didn't have a wedding party but my son (who walked me down the aisle), his GF, my mother and her husband (and my grandson) were at the rehersal so we just went to Ruby Tuesday's for a nice dinner. It's one of our fav restaurants and it was at the same mall where the tuxes needed to be picked up.  Easy peasy!
    Anniversary
  • We had ours at an Italian restaurant across the street from our venue.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're having our RD at a local restaurant. They have a banquet room that we are using.  We are inviting our WP, their families, and OOT guests.
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • We've decided on either a local pizza place, or catering BBQ.  We'll decide when the time gets closer and we see what the budget is.
  • DH's parents hosted our RD at the restaurant where DH and I had our first date.  It was a few blocks away from our venue.  We invited all the parents, grandparents, WP/SOs, siblings and their fams and some OOT family who where staying the homes of people attending the dinner.
    Anniversary

• We are hosting the RD at our home. We are having about 45 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a backyard RD and it was perfect! We rehearsed outside, and then my mom and aunt did a great job of setting up a big party tent and decorating it with a Caribbean theme, since that was what the menu was themed after as well. We had ribs, chicken, various salads, and desserts. We enjoyed it so much more than going to a fancy restaurant the night before another formal event since it was so much more relaxing.
  • We are having ours at an Italian restaurant in the hotel connect to the other hotel where the wedding is held. My dad selected this as a matter of convenience to our guests since its a short walk and many in the WP are staying there the night before the wedding. It's a little more formal than a relaxed atmosphere but it's one of our favorite restaurants.
  • we aren't doing a rehersal 'dinner'.  we chose to have our rehersal on friday so that saturday could be spent preparing for our sunday wedding.  the rehersal is at 7:30 pm at the church and we will likely go out for some desserts afterwards.  nothing fancy because i personally don't think its nessacary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_what-are-you-doing-for-the-rehearsal-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ef2da713-a033-4fd2-9cca-0347d2545a1aPost:052a84fe-8126-4059-ab21-6972466dcca4">Re: What are you doing for the Rehearsal Dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]we aren't doing a rehersal 'dinner'.  we chose to have our rehersal on friday so that saturday could be spent preparing for our sunday wedding.  the rehersal is at 7:30 pm at the church and we will likely go out for some desserts afterwards.  nothing fancy because i personally don't think its nessacary.
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

Just make sure people are aware of this so they eat before the rehearsal.  On a Friday, people may be rushing to get there by 7:30, and you really should feed them.

• Our plan is to make a couple of pans of a dish that we know half the wedding party likes and just eat at the church after the rehearsal. That way we don't have the expense of paying for food when we can make something pretty cheap and then the guys can go out and play pool and my sister who is coming from Hawaii that morning can go to bed sooner. Our cermony is at 2 so its going to be an early day Saturday.
  • DD and her fiance are having theirs at the restaurant the groom's uncles owns. She used to tend bar there part-time and he cooked; they know most of the staff, love the food, feel very comfortable there, etc. Uncle will also allow groom's homebrew beer to be served if he chooses, which is kind of cool. They will do pretty much any kind of food the bride/groom want; not sure what they have planned, but am looking forward to it! Wedding party, parents, readers, musicians, minister and of course eveyrone's SOs will total just shy of 50 people and it will be in a separate banquet room at the restaurant. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards