Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

First Look??

I think I want to do a first look, but my FI doen't want to. I think the only reason he doesnt want to is that it breaks the tradition of a religious ceremony... Is there any reason not to do a first look other than that? Should I try to convince him its worth it?? What do you ladies suggest? :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Look??

• Options
    Leave it alone.  DH didn't want to see me at all until the wedding.  We were staying in a B&B so we'd text our positions to eachother so he was sure not to see me.  Everyone, including me, thought it was silly but it was important to him.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    If he's really against it and uncomfortable with the idea, I wouldn't try to force him into it.  You can still get all of the formals that you take separately out of the way before the ceremony.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    We did first look because logistically it just worked better with our timeline.  My H balked at first, but when I explained how it would work and play into the timeline, he was very okay with it. You both need to do what is best for the two of you. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:794e1e19-7c2c-4db6-9e06-ad352da97b22Post:ae40b71e-b130-43ea-9c59-67ced3a715a0">Re: First Look??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to First Look?? : Why do you need for there to be a reason other than that??? If he is adamantly against it, you need to respect that, ESPECIALLY if it's for religious reasons.  It's his wedding too after all.  Plus, if he hates the idea and it violates his beliefs, it won't be worth it.  First looks are great, when both parties are happy and excited about them. <strong>My DH surprised the heck out of me by being VERY traditional when it came to seeing me.  He didn't want to see at all the day of the wedding until I walked down the aisle, and he didn't want to see anything about what I would be wearing (down to my hair and shoes) beforehand.  I thought it was overkill, but I went with it because it meant so much to him and didn't matter to me either way.  And I am so glad that I did.
    </strong>Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

Same here.  DH didn't want to even see the wedding hairstyle when I came back from the consultation.  I had to text him to not surprise me and come him if I had my dress out for any reason.  He would put his finger in his ears and tell friends to stop talking if they even started to describe the dress.

It was the last thing I expected from him but I went along with it, even texting where I was in the B&B and having his sister acting as a kind of guard so we didn't accidentally see eachother. 

Clearly, it meant a lot to him so I never even suggested a first look.  We just got all the pictures afterwards.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I disagree with the statement that it breaks religious tradition. We had a Christian wedding/religious ceremony led my a leader from our church and we still did a first look. I highly suggest the first look, it's such a tender and emotional moment between the two of you and I'm so glad we did one. It absolutely took nothing away from my walk down the aisle because I burst into tears again as I reached DH at the front and then I cried again while reading my vows to him.

But ditto pp's you guys need to do what you both want and decide on together. If he's completely uncomfortable with it, then I wouldn't force it. But from my experience, a first look was so much more special then having hundreds of eyes on us as we saw each other for the first time that day.
  • Options
    "Pearl clutches" - I Love IT!!!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards