Illinois-Chicago

small budget florist recommendation?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows or has used a florist that is willing to work with a small budget.  I am getting married 10/15 and am having trouble finding a florist.  I would prefer someone in chicago so I don't have to figure out transportation to meet with someone out it the burbs (no car), but will do what I have to. 

So far every florist I have contacted is either unavailable or has a 2,000 and up minimums.  I am looking to spend about 1000 on a bouquet, 2 bm, 4 bouts, 2 corsages, and 8-10 very simple short centerpieces.  I'll do all carnations if I have to to get that price, but can't even find anyone who will touch it!  I can probably swing 1500, but will tell the florist 1k, since they will probably go over with the proposal anyway, and it will keep them in the range I want them.

Any advice?  I've considered DIY, but I am so not crafty, and am really worried about the added stress, and that I would really foul them up.  I don't know anyone who could come the day before to help, most people will be coming OOT and be in transit that day or arrive day of.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: small budget florist recommendation?

• Zelly72Zelly72 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My florist is in Wheaton, but definitely in your price range.  We are getting 20 centerpieces, my bouquet, 1 bm bouqet, 5 corsages, 7 bouts, and 3 church pieces for  under $1500.  I think it was around $1300.  It was under $1000 for everything without the church stuff.  They are definitely worth calling.  she will work with any budget.  She did a sample centerpiece for us and it is incredible! 
    All Flowers By Marisa
    http://allflowersbymarisa.com/
    630-690-2809
  • Amy111608Amy111608 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Anthony Gowder Designs - my budget going in was $1500 and they were totally fine with it. I'm getting my bouquet, 3 BM, 8 bouts, 2 mom's bouquets, one large centerpiece and 12 table centerpieces. Their proposal came right in under budget. You should definitely be able to get everything you want for $1000. The only problem you may have is getting there - it's in the west loop, so you may need to cab it or have someone take you.
  • edited December 2011
    Try Miller Florists !! She's in Alsip and she's great, I found her on "Google Places" as I was driving around in Blue Island and I am sooo lucky I did. My wedding is 10/16 :-) ,but hopefully she is available on your day !
  • aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend NOT using Miller's Florist. I thought I would be saving money, but really I just sacrificed quality. Please PM me if you would like to hear the full story, but my bouquet was the size of a bridesmaid's bouquet and it had pipe cleaners in it! AWFUL!
  • edited December 2011
    I just PM'd u about Millers , now I'm sad :-(

Was it really THAT awful?
  • edited December 2011
    Addison Floral in Addison. They were incredible. I got my bouquet, 3 BM bouquets, 10 bouts, and 4 corsages for under $400.
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • WinterWed17WinterWed17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would recommend my florist, Jenna from Avant Gardenia. She's in Geneva, but I bet she would travel to you for an appointment (and she definitely delivers to the city and it's not super expensive).
  • edited December 2011
    Also try floral shops...  I used Westgate in Oak Park, and I had a very similar budget and amount of flowers as you.  They did a beautiful job.
  • fashionxfashionx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my florist, and I'm sure she would be in your price range as I am getting a lot more than you said you need and paying $850. She is fantastic, she did a friend's wedding recently and I had already booked her based on the recommendation, but after I saw what she did I was even more excited to have hired her.

Her name is Mary and the company is Flowers by Color. Her website is www.flowersbycolorchicago.com.

Good luck!
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone, I'm calling around, hopefully one of them will still be available.  I appreciate it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Golfer09Golfer09 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my wedding we went with Kloeckner's and Mark Weber was great to work with.  He was able to accommodate my budget (I did not want to spend an incredible amount of $ on flowers).  Kloeckner's is also the preferred vendor at  Cafe Brauer and the Field Museum so it was reassuring to me that they had their act togeter to land on their vendor list.

I will note that their store is near Midway airport so it's kinda a hike, but I also think that's why they can work with your budget because they aren't paying insane overhead costs for their bricks and mortar presence.  Good luck!
    Our wedding SDE: Our wedding Feature: PW=demo
  • mzjaybeemzjaybee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend is using Fasan florists on 35th and Ashland near the baseball stadium.  She got a really great price for a nice amount of flowers (enough centerpieces for 10 tables, 4 bridesmaids bouquets and bouts, 1 junior bride bouquet, 1 junior groom bout, bridal bouquet, grooms bout, ceremony flowers, flower girl pomander for under $2000 using lillies and roses) and they were willing to work with any budget. 
  • edited December 2011
    Try Jamie at Town and Country in Elgin. I can't recommend her enough.

I had my bouquet (with expensive flowers like orchids and calla lilies), 3 bridesmaids bouquets, 8 bouts, 4 corsages, 8 orchid/hydrangea centerpieces, and flowers on the cake for about $1000. And none of it looked like we had sacrificed anything, it ended up looking simple and elegant.

Seriously, she is awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards