Asian Weddings
Options

Filipino wedding: How many sponsors?

I just want to take a quick survey of all the Filipino weddings out there:  how many sponsors did you have and how did you pick them?

Re: Filipino wedding: How many sponsors?

• Options
    jc02220jc02220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I had 8 pairs and mostly were all my relatives =)
  • Options
    vsantos715vsantos715 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having 4 - 6 pairs and they were either my godparents from baptism & confirmation or important people in my life growing up.
  • Options
    aaberinaaberin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     We have a small wedding party, so we only have 4 pairs (one pair as principal sponsors, the three others are cord, veil and candle sponsors, double duty =) )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will have 5 sponsors, all of them women :)  Plus, I will have 3 pairs for the candle, veil and cord :)
  • Options
    edueckmanedueckman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I need some questions answered....my fiancee is Filipino and knows NOTHING about their traditions (helpful eh?)  This may be a stupid question to you girls...but are the sponsers a Filipino bride thing? Would it be something I should incorporate?
  • Options
    glmarabutglmarabut member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! There are really no hard and fast rules on how many wedding sponsors ( Principal Sponsors) you should have. These people we usually get as our Principal Sponsors or what we call Ninongs (Godfathers) and Ninangs (Godmothers) are those who the couple looks up to, may be connected by blood or because they were also the Godparents during baptism of either the bride or the groom.

I have had weddings (as a wedding coordinator in Manila) that have had as little as 2 pairs , some have 12 or even 20 pairs!! So Filipinos really do not have like a rule as to how many. You should just consider how big your wedding will be (intimate, big bash, mid size)  and if you can really talk to these Sponsors when you need advice as a couple... so good rule of thumb would be someone close to you, someone you look up to , someone who will be easy to talk with  or someone who can give you a loan!! (joke!)

Hope that helps! oh yeah ofcourse, the secondary sponsors will always be three (candle , veil, cord) =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're having nine sets... a completely random number because some people dropped out and some others joined the group... I don't think the number really matters as long as the people are all special to you and your fi.

We are doing the traditional three sets of sponsors (candle, veil, and cord) and we also added a fourth set, "holy items", so we're having them walk with a rosary and bible.  They will also do our first/second readings.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had 4 couples. They are all aunt and uncles
  • Options
    Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we're just going to have one set of sponsors - my ninang and ninong. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having a small wedding of 150 guests. We are having 3 sets of sponsors. One set will be the same godmother/godfather from baptism.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sponsors are supposed to be "the witness" to your matrimony. a minimum of one set is perfect. it's up to you. it's unfortunate how some family or relatives will "insist" they become sponsors or else they will sulk...
    in a way, it's also good to have "more" sponsors coz they will give more "gifts"
  • Options
    alms210alms210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having six couples as the primary sponsors...close relatives or couples we looked up to.  Also having the secondary sponsors.  One couple each for the veil, cord, and coins.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having 5 couples as primary sponsors.

1 couple as veil and 1 couple as cord. 

My FMIL didn't want a "parade" even though we have 8 pairs in our bridal party.  It's still a "parade" LOL

... don't even start me on how I got bamboozled into having the communion added back in after me and the FI agreed not to have it (I'm not Catholic anymore)...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards