September 2012 Weddings
Options

WDYT re: ring for child

We are doing a ring ceremony which includes my son (that's why I made the ring "nest"). FI and I will exchange our vows and give each other our rings, and then we will have an additional "family" vow including my son. I'm debating on what to give him... I'd like to do a ring so that we have 3 rings in the nest but I'm not sure if a pendant would be a better idea. I technically could do a ring that is used as a pendant as well. I don't really want to buy a "child's" ring because he'll likely grow out of it by dinner lol, but an adult sized ring would look odd as well. Anyhoo, I just need your thoughts on this.
I did come across a seller on Etsy who does rings and pendants with "You are my sunshine" engraved. That is the song we will have a mother/son dance to at the reception; it's something I sang to him every night for a long time and he still asks me to sing it occasionally. **see pics below**I could always get a lego ring - which I'm sure he'd love - for him to wear the day of, and just keep the ring/pendant to give him later on (and have it blessed).
What do you ladies think??

invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: WDYT re: ring for child

• Options
    What about getting the sunshine ring and putting it on a chain for him?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wdyt-re-ring-for-child?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:7cc58845-e64f-40ac-a43e-a915c606aafdPost:d957d7d1-9745-4af8-85c1-5f52bbf3b9fb">Re: WDYT re: ring for child</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about getting the sunshine ring and putting it on a chain for him?
    Posted by romamor4[/QUOTE]

That is an option I was considering but what size do I get? A child's size or a large size?
  • Options

I'd get the adult size and have him wear it on a chain now.  Then when he's older he can decide how he prefers to wear it.  He's so young you don't know if he'll prefer a ring or a chain.  But, I feel like young kids and a ring they are just bound to lose because they will take it off and play with it. 

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I agree with PP. I'd get the adult size.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, I'd get the adult size and let him wear it on a chain for now. He's less likely to lose it that way, and much more likely to wear a ring as an adult.
  • Options

of course I can't see the responses... :P

• Options
    I'd probably go with the necklace.  I think he'll get more wear out of it.  I doubt he'd wear the ring as an adult, but he could always wear the necklace and tuck it under his shirt to keep it close.  We are giving my daughter a necklace.  My FI has already picked one out for her.  Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would go with the chain and an adult sized ring.  That way he can grow into it and wont be embarrassed as he gets older wearing a ring that says you are my sunshine from his mom and he'll have it as an adult. 
  • Options
    I'd go with a child's size ring.  I would have been honored as a child to wear a ring with my parents, but when my fingers got large enough for an adult ring, I probably wouldn't have been interested in wearing it.  If he loves it and wants to wear it when he is older you can get him another one.

Does he like necklaces?  Would he get teased for being a boy and wearing jewelry?  Kids can be mean.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    When hubby & I got married he had a ring designed for DD (he also designed my ring) to give her at our ceremony. He had it made to fit her then & as she grew we had it resized. She still wears it today on her right hand ring finger & refers to it as her family wedding ring!! 
    I say go with the size that fits him now & resize as needed!  
  • Options
    I'm going with a ring that just has a sun on the outside and "you are my sunshine" on the inside. It will fit him now but is sorta adjustable because of the shape. Once he grows out of it, we can always drill a small hole to place on a chain or he can just keep it in a drawer. It's not too showy or girly, so I think it will be good.
    My son would wear his underwear on his head if I let him, so I don't think he'd be embarrassed about a ring or necklace lol.

This is the ring (the moon will be replaced by a sun):
  • Options
    Very nice!  No matter what he will love it and whether he wears it as a grown up or goes thru a too cool for mom phase :-(  he'll always have it and keep it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards