Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Couple is Relocating

My husband-to-be and I are moving across the country after the wedding. We do not want to have to deal with taking back gifts or shipping them to our new home. How do i go about this?

Re: Couple is Relocating

• Options
    You graciously accept the fact that people may bring you gifts.  You write warm and heartfelt thank you notes, and then find a way to get your gifts to your new home.

Anything else makes you sound whiny and ungrateful for the fact that people have taken their time and their money to give you a remembrance of your wedding day.

Good luck.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    We are kind of in the same situation.  We moved right before the wedding, going home for the wedding and then will have to come back.  Idk how we will get the gifts back to our new place if we fly (and its a 16 hr drive).  One option is to register and then have instuctions with the store to ship all the gifts that people got you to the local near you.  This should be free if its all from the same store. 

I am thinking that is what we'll need to do.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_couple-relocating?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:66c034da-442b-4323-9629-28d0af799614Post:91c182a6-27c8-4d8c-9a26-01b741171fc0">Re: Couple is Relocating</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are kind of in the same situation.  We moved right before the wedding, going home for the wedding and then will have to come back.  Idk how we will get the gifts back to our new place if we fly (and its a 16 hr drive).  One option is to register and then have instuctions with the store to ship all the gifts that people got you to the local near you.  This should be free if its all from the same store.  I am thinking that is what we'll need to do.  Good Luck!
    Posted by hippolover[/QUOTE]

<div>You put your shipping address on your registry, so if people order online or want the store to ship the gift directly to you, they have your address.  </div><div>
    </div><div>To the OP--there's not really anything you can do here, just be prepared to consolidate boxes and packing materials and ship things to your new home.  We're moving a few months after our wedding to somewhere about a 14-15 hour drive away, but we have furniture and other stuff to move, so we've just accepted that we'll be putting boxes of dishes and other gifts on the truck as well.  </div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: If you don't really want physical gifts, the general advice is to make a small registry and people will be more inclined to give you cash.  Of course, not having enough on your registry if you have lots of guests that like to give gifts increases your chances of getting random weird stuff and duplicates.  </div>
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm moving to another city about 3 months before the wedding, and although FI currently lives there, 95% of our guest list are from other cities and/or countries. As we're also getting married in a different city from the one we'll be living in, I know how you feel! We just registered on Amazon and requested that all shipped gifts kindly be sent to our new address. That way, all of the out-of-town/out-of-country guests can go online and get something without anyone having to lug stuff on airlines or ship stuff across the globe. We've gotten great responses from our guests so far, especially because Amazon usually does free shipping. Do you have someone on the ground in your new spot who could field incoming gifts? Amazon also lets you know whenever a guest buys something, so you can still keep up with your thank-you list. 

Of course, you'll probably still have people wanting to give you physical stuff, especially if you're having a shower. I also registered us for a few really lightweight things at local stores--things that would be super easy to pack in a suitcase. Stuff like kitchen gadgets, cutlery, shower curtains, and sheets are all pretty easy to pack. 

ETA: I agree with PPs that a small (or, better yet, non-existent) registry is the best way to politely let people know that you'd rather not receive physical gifts. 
    "He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at."
  • Options
    Proper etiquette is that gifts are shipped before the wedding. Not everyone does that, though.

You could just register for packable things like linens and small kitchen items.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards