Honeymoon Discussions

St. Petersburg, FL/Clearwater Beach, FL

I'm planning a honeymoon in the St. Petersburg area for Sept 24th-Oct 1st.  Does anyone have some suggestions for budget-friendly, yet honeymoon feeling hotels?  Also any suggestions for places to visit, things to see, places to eat, etc?

Thanks!

Re: St. Petersburg, FL/Clearwater Beach, FL

• We went to St. Pete's about 4 years ago.  We were students at the same, so we were on a severely limited budget!  We stayed at the Sirata (  http://www.sirata.com/ ) which at the time was very reasonably priced.  For the price it was very nice, right on the beach, nice pool, etc.  Not sure what you mean by "honeymoon feeling" hotels but it was a nice getaway for us.

We spent a lot of time at the beach & at the pool to try and conserve money.  We did go see a pre-season Phillies game (their spring training is down there) which was fun.  It was about a 30 minute drive from where we were.  We also took a boat to Caladesi Island State Park, which was voted the #1 ranked beach in the US that year.  

We tried to eat in the room a lot to try and save money (and because we don't like eating out all the time) but I'd recommend Crabby Bill's seafood (like half a block away from the Sirata).  My dad goes there on business all the time and he highly recommend the Salt Rock Grill, which is definitely a bit more pricey but was also really good.  There are a TON of other places to eat down there so you should have no problem trying places =]

Good luck planning!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Pass-A-Grille. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from the places Aurora's Envy mentioned, but it will feel like a different world. Regular St. Pete Beach is tourist-infused, with cheap beach shops and crummy, overpriced seafood shacks on every corner. pass-A-Grille is an old artist's colony that was once a separate town, but recently annexed onto St. Pete.  Don't get me wrong - all of St. Pete has beautiful beaches - but there is just something special and quieter and different about Pass A Grille. 

We stay at Island's End Resort, but there are lots of small, romantic, independent boutique hotels in the area, in addition to amazing restaurants and seafood shops (like SHaner's, man oh man).  If you are interested and would like specific recommendations feel free to PM me! 
  • My H and I went to St. Pete's about 6 years ago.  We stayed at the Tradewinds and loved the hotel.  They had pretty much everything that you needed on premis.

• I live in the Tampa bay area and I agree with PP's and butterfly. The beach is over crowed and overrated price wise. If you stay at one of the hotels with a private beach I think you would be alot happier. Also, have you looked into Sarasota?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LechilluraLechillura member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012

Pass A Grille is lovely, I agree.  If you want the best of both, look up the Don Cesar.  A bit pricey but very honeymoon and it's on the edge of PAG and St. Pete Beach.

Also - St. Pete Beach does have The Tradewinds which is also very nice. 

Quieter - Sirata or Alden Suites on SP Beach.   Sep-Oct will be off season so it won't be packed at all. The only time it's really bad is during Spring Break or Beach Week and high tourist season during winter when the snowbirds come down.

Also - FYI for those coming to the area ....   It's not St. Pete's - It is St. Pete Beach or St. Petersburg.  Just a local thing ;)

Also - when you do visit, there is a wonderful beach trolley that connect to the central line.  Please make sure to visit downtown St. Petersburg.  It is a beautiful waterfront with vibrant restaurants, shops, arts, music and a lot more.  You must check out the Salvador Dali Museum. The building is stunning and it's an incredible collection.

Lot's of beautiful beaches here - Happy Honemooning!! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live in Orlando and have visited several times to Pass A Grille and St. Pete and think that Clearwater just blows them both away.  The beach in Clearwater is SO much nicer.  If you rent a car you can even go to PAG and SP for a day or so - they are very close.  I would definitely recommend Clearwater.  Plus, if you wanted to see dolphins, Winter (the taleless dolphin) is at Clearwater Marine Aquarium which is right there. 

Here is a link to a nice, budget friendly hotel pretty much right on the beach in CW. 

royalnorthbeach.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards