Missouri-St Louis
Options

Rehearsal Dinner

My fiance and I are paying for 80% of the wedding.  We need a VERY inexpensive place to have the rehearsal dinner.  We are getting married in Soulard.  Or even on the East side since we are from Troy, IL.   I've even thought about having everyone back to our house for pizza.  I know that might sound tacky, but seriously I don't have a lot of money to spend.  We have 7 bm 7 gm 2 ushers and then most of them have a significant other.  Suggestions please?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think pizza or an informal BBQ would be completely fine for a rehearsal dinner.  

On the Thursday before our wedding we had a meet and greet party for the people in our wedding since they were coming from so many different stages of our lives (siblings, high school, college, law school, professional life), and we just did BBQ, beer and wine.  Everyone had fun, we went out afterward, and it was a nice, low key kick off to what ends up being a pretty stressful weekend.
    White Knot
    Stand up for something you believe in. White Knot
  • Options
    leighinstlleighinstl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that a barbeque or something low-key is a good idea. You could always have it catered at your house pretty cheaply. You could order pre-made food from Dierbergs. They have a great selection. Then just have wine and beer for everyone. You could make it very nice at your house. I wouldn't  do pizza though. You're right that it might look a little tacky. Don't get anything you can't put on a serving dish. I think that's a good rule to go by.

Also, there are a lot of inexpensive restaurants in that area that you could look into. Try Square One Brewery in Lafayette Square. I hear their prices are good. Ricardo's is also in Lafayette Square. They're fantastic and they have great prices on Italian food. Other options include the pubs in Soulard. I'm sure many have private rooms with lots of cheap food options. And don't be afraid to negotiate. I've found that if I ask a vendor to throw something in for me, they usually do. The economy isn't great. People are willing to go the extra mile for you.

Good luck! I'm sure it will be great.
  • Options
    jlk0219jlk0219 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The BBQ is an awesome idea.  This is what we originally wanted (and would have gotten the catering from some place like Bandana's) but we didn't have a house that would have been large enough for everyone and I couldn't find a venue that would have been cheap enough (I looked everywhere from VFW halls to park pavillions).

We had our rehearsal dinner at Ravanelli's in Collinsville and it was inexpensive and they have really good food.  It also work well location-wise because it would be in between Soulard and Troy.  They have a private banquet room that you can use and it includes a buffet where they put all the food to keep it warm while everyone is eating.  My MIL LOVED this- she originally wanted us to have it at Hometown Buffet : /  In the end it worked out perfectly and we were really happy with Ravanelli's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards