Rhode Island
Options

This is disgusting: Priscilla of Boston/David's Bridal

Priscilla of Boston, owned by parent company David's Bridal, destroyed & put perfectly good wedding dresses into dumpsters that could have been donated to charities for brides in need. If I was a bride currently shopping for a gown, this story would encourage me to spend my hard earned money at a local bridal shop that cares about the community and not just about the bottom line.  Shop local, shop small business.

Here's two charities that would have loved to have those $4k dresses: 

Re: This is disgusting: Priscilla of Boston/David's Bridal

• Options
    Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but technically, they have the right to do whatever they want with their dresses.  They don't *have* to donate them to charity.

Then again, I could care less about Priscilla of Boston, or DB, because I bought my gown from a small, locally-owned bridal salon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Technically, they do.  You're right.  But this is really bad PR and I would think a big corporation like DB would care about tough economic times.  PoB went out of business.  I wonder why they couldn't have sold off the remaining inventory at DB stores?  Just seems weird and a complete waste.  
  • Options
    I didn't realize that David's bridal was a parent company of priscilla of boston- it kind of makes me think different of POB.  I always had a certain "idea" in my head about DB, and knew it was imported dresses with a markup, made in factory like conditions without much though to design (much like say---forever 21)
    I didn't realize POB was the same was---
    Tons of money for factory/china made dresses, yet again.

I work for an importer and have traveled to China to see the conditions of non-repuatable factories. I am not saying DB or POB used those companies- but if they did, then basically even their 4000 dresses were at cost to them probably around 400.00. Silks, satins, etc and other fabrics are significantly less expensive in China since there isn't a markup from customs and trade.

I am not saying that makes it better that these dresses were destroyed- but its not as huge of a loss as one might think.

At any rate. I am a military couple and I know TONS of militray girls that could use those dresses. Luckily, I am engaged to a reservist and so we aren't active and don't travel. but i know women that do. Travel from base to base- and can not keep a steady job- therefore might not have the expendible income to spend on a wedding dress. Thanks for highlighting this charity.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Options
    I just wanted to note I read another article on this and it said that the gowns couldnt be donated due to contractual agreements with the designers.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards