Outdoor Weddings
Options

Fabric draped on a tree instead of arbor

I am thinking of doing this (picture in link below) instead of an arbor to stand in front of.. Anyone know where I can find fabric fairly inexpensive? I know it can be pretty pricey, especially for this length. Thanks!

http://pinterest.com/pin/234539093064059195/

Re: Fabric draped on a tree instead of arbor

• Options
    That's really pretty & different.

Check the standard fabric stores. Most of them have "sales tables", especially Joann's. You can generally get the fabric for 50% off on those tables, meaning if it's originally $8 a yard, it's $4 a yard, and you'd probably need about 8-10 yards.
  • Options
    If you have a limited budget:
    http://www.giftsintl-us.com/tullefabric.php

I plan to buy tulle for my wedding decorations and this is the cheapest I have found it. It is wayyyy more expensive in fabric stores. I haven't seen how much the shipping is at this website yet, though, and tulle will not look exactly the same as the photo you have, which sort of looks like satin. However, satin will be at least $5 a yard.
  • Options
    Sign up for all the mailings, both snail and email, that you can from your local fabric/craft shops. Wait for one of them to print a 50% off a single item coupon, then buy all your fabric with that coupon. Or wait for a sale on the fabric, although it frequently won't be as high as 50%. Joann's usually prints one every couple of months, and 40% off coupons much more frequently. FYI, their snail mailings and email ads do not feature the same info.

Also, thanks for sharing that picture; it's really pretty!! Great idea!
    What has four thumbs and is totally stoked about getting married? These people!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the fabric looks like muslin or cheese cloth. It has a lovely weave. Those are very inexpensive fabrics-search online. You could also look at drop cloths from the big box stores. They are a very rough linen look fabric. If too stiff wash them.
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Tulle is stiff and won't drape like that.  Go to Joann's with a 40% off coupon and look at muslin and other very lightweight cottons.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_fabric-draped-on-a-tree-instead-of-arbor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:ccee244d-e737-4952-9e5f-12b294aa1c31Post:d342e1db-8417-4108-821d-d6288e2b5ce9">Re: Fabric draped on a tree instead of arbor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tulle is stiff and won't drape like that.  Go to Joann's with a 40% off coupon and look at muslin and other very lightweight cottons.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

I agree with Muslin, that is what it looks like in the picture. It is quite cheap (as low as $5) and use coupons.  They will also give you a "end of bolt" discount (50%?) if you finish off the bolt which would be an added bonus with the current 25% entire purchase coupon they have going on this weekend.

If you wanted a colored fabric you could likely dye this with no problem since it is 100% cotton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards