Military Brides

Honeymoon issues...

Hi ladies! I've never posted on this board but I figured you'd understand this better than anyone else..!

So we had our honeymoon booked.. All planned for the Rivera Maya in Mexico.  Deposit down and everything.  Then FI gets an e-mail at work that they (USAF) can't go to Mexico without filing a whole bunch of paperwork and getting approved, etc.  It also stated that "just a vacation" is not a valid reason for travel. (Maybe some of you have seen this e-mail?)

FI decided that he did not want to jump through any hoops and I understood that.  Unfortunately our travel agent did not.  She is STILL trying to hold over $200 so that we will rebook with her.  The e-mail did list some places that were worse than others ,our location was not major danger, etc...Still not something he wanted to deal with.  In the mean time we have rebooked elsewhere (Costa Rica! I can't wait!!) and I have filed a dispute with my credit card company to get ALL of our money back.  Thankfully I have recieved a "temporary release" of the funds...hopefully it all works out.  This additional stress is not needed!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon issues...

• Mexico has been on a no travel list for nearly all branches of the military for several years now because of the drug cartels.  This is, honestly, information your FI should have known.  It sucks that you planned that trip and are having issues with your TA.  Did you not book your new trip with her.  That probably would have saved the headache you are having now. 
    I hope y'all have a great honeymoon.  I've heard Costa Rica is a blast. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He said he had seen it before, but for some reason it didn't cross his mind when we were actually booking the honeymoon.

We did not book with the same TA..but that is a whole different rant.  Long story short, she was booking for HERSELF. Every place we suggested, she shot down.  She made the most commission on Mexico. When we told her we couldn't go to Mexico she was not happy.  She then started pushing a place she had previously told us that we wouldn't like.  We did not want to deal with her any longer.  I would not recommend her services to anyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_honeymoon-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:387534f9-4fb0-448a-a072-94e86bd594aePost:8a25b3b2-1ba6-4325-96bd-032e2a230617">Re: Honeymoon issues...</a>:
    [QUOTE]He said he had seen it before, but for some reason it didn't cross his mind when we were actually booking the honeymoon. We did not book with the same TA..but that is a whole different rant.  Long story short, she was booking for HERSELF. Every place we suggested, she shot down.  She made the most commission on Mexico. When we told her we couldn't go to Mexico she was not happy.  She then started pushing a place she had previously told us that we wouldn't like.  We did not want to deal with her any longer.  I would not recommend her services to anyone.
    Posted by MeganL315[/QUOTE]<div>Ditto TX that your FI should have known about Mexico.  As for the TA I don't really understand why you decided to book with her after she insisted on pushing her own agenda.  Either way, hope it works out for you.  If nothing else, being out $200 isn't the end of the world, especially when it comes to not giving this woman your business.</div><div>
    </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Ditto the ladies. It might sound harsh but the mistake kinda falls on your FI on this one. Mexico has been a no no for how many years now. H doesn't want to go there at all for this reason. Even with our HM in Italy we still had to let his CoC know where and when we would be at all times. Write a review about the TA somewhere this way at least other couples will know not to use her. Like Beach said, in the grand scheme of things 200 isn't that bad but I do hope you get it back though!
  • Sorry that happened to you.  That totally sucks. I hope that you have fun in Costa Rica. 

I will that we took our honeymoon to Rivera Maya and it was just beautiful.  I loved every second of it.  H booked it without me knowing where we were going.  He wanted to surprise me. I don't know the paper work he had to fill out nor did I ask. 

• My FI and I went to Cabo, Mexico in January, it was actually where he popped the question!  Its not all parts of Mexico that we can't go to, just the bad ones.  I work for the Army so have to do the same paper work as him and it really wasn't that bad.  I'd ask him to look into it again and find out how much work it will take to get you guys there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like the other ladies, I'm sorry this happened to you, but agree that your FI should have known. We considered all the travel recommendations when we booked our HM, and there is still a bunch of paperwork for going out of the country.... but we knew that when we booked, so it's NBD. 

That's really crappy about the TA. I also agree you should write a review on her so people know.
    wedding1 Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards