Christian Weddings
Options

Sleep before the wedding

So this is wedding month! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!! I'm going crazy! If I'm this crazy now, I can't imagine what I'm going to be like in three weeks! I've been advised by many people to take something to help me sleep the week before the wedding. I very rarely take any sort of medicine, so I don't have any idea what would be good to take. Any advice? I'm especially interested in hearing any natural remedies (vitamins, herbs, etc.) to help me sleep! 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sleep before the wedding

• Options
    Yeah, I didn't sleep at all the week of the wedding.  I was SO EXHAUSTED on the wedding day.  If you want medicine or something, see your doctor now... it can take a long time to adjust or find the right thing.  A lot of people take Ambien.  But you can't take it that much, otherwise you become dependent on it and can't sleep afterwards.  But if it's for a few days, it could work.

Also, exercise might help! Or walks.   I also started sleeping on my couch, which I find helps break thought cycles.  Usually, I start to associate one place, like my bed, with stressed out thoughts. I also get anxious thoughts like before exams, and another thing that helps me is to count breaths (told to me by a psychologist).  Or think "iiiiin, oooooout" when you breath.  It gets you to stop thinking for a bit.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I wouldn't take anything unless you really need it!  If you do, Gravol/Dramamine will help knock you out safely, although it obviously isn't a natural remedy.

I was so pooped from Friday running around, manicures, speech writing, setting up, food prep, organizing, etc. that I slept fine the night before!
  • Options
    The only natural thing I know if is melatonin.  I'll need to take it every night for a few days before you'll start feelings any effect.
  • Options
    Ha, I remember feeling this way. :) You can probably find my freak out post if you go back to July too! I took this stuff:  http://www.calmsforte.com/home/  It can be found at most drug stores and any health food store. It's homeopathic, so I'm not sure how much was in my head and how much was the pills, but I still take it if I'm feeling especially anxious about something. GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    I like melatonin! It's natural-- it's what your body naturally releases to put you to sleep. Doesn't keep you asleep, but at least lets your mind stop and go to bed! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    I've found the warm milk (like hot chocolate) and a bubble bath helps me the most!

Hang in there!! 

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    bubble bath.... tea...long movie....
    Love is All You Need
  • Options
    I would do melatonin.

First Look
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Im like you and dont like taking drugs, what about trying other methods that help you sleep? Like having dairy in the eveniny, or even better have turkey at your RD (if ts the night before),
    Heres some other sleep tips:

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm

I will admit no matter what I take or don't take theres a good chance I wont sleep the night before, anytime theres been a major event in my life I dont sleep (I was once awake for 50 hours because I was going on a trip and was way too excited to sleep either the night before or on the planes.) So I am just kind of counting on not sleeping the night before.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    Ditto/tritto/quadritto the melatonin rec if you really need something.  I've had a hard time getting to sleep my whole life and just started with melatonin a few months ago.  Seriously, it's life changing.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_sleep-before-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:a5684274-066c-49d8-8223-6039359de3b0Post:9cbbfb74-5254-4d2b-9ea4-42748648d2ae">Re: Sleep before the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im like you and dont like taking drugs, what about trying other methods that help you sleep? Like having dairy in the eveniny, or even better have turkey at your RD (if ts the night before), Heres some other sleep tips: <a href="http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm</a> I will admit no matter what I take or don't take theres a good chance I wont sleep the night before, anytime theres been a major event in my life I dont sleep (I was once awake for 50 hours because I was going on a trip and was way too excited to sleep either the night before or on the planes.) So I am just kind of counting on not sleeping the night before.
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]
    50 hours??  Holy cow.  That must have been an amazing trip!
  • Options
    If I need to sleep, I just work out a little harder at the gym.  It tends to work for me.  But I wouldn't do that unless you're okay with taking a chance at having some sore muscles on your wedding day.  I'm sure you'll be tired after all the errands and things you have to do the day before the wedding though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    tea and working out helped me during wedding week!
    I didn't get much sleep the night before my wedding b/c I still had to pack my car with all my DIY things and other things for the church since we couldn't leave them there the night before.  The Rehersal dinner ran late, I had to pack my car and pack for the honeymoon since I wasn't coming back there after the reception.  I stayed up too late, only got 4 hours , caught a nap during my hair appointment, and ran on happiness and stress the day of!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Lavender oil is calming. You can put it in a bath or on your pillow. You can also try white noise/ ocean waves/thunderstorm if that will help you relax. You can buy a cd from amazon for less than $5, or download an app for your phone. 

I take benadryl to help me sleep. It doesn't take days to work, and it's not habit forming. Try it a few nights before though becasue it can make some people hyper, rather than sleepy. (Also, it's the exact same thing as dramamine and simply sleep.) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards