Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids getting ready

Are any of you doing special shirts/tank tops for your maids while everyone gets ready?
I saw a "Team Bride" phrase that's cute.

Please keep your opinions to yourself pertaining to if this is a good/bad idea. I am only wanting phrase ideas.

Thanks!

Re: Bridesmaids getting ready

• You're going to tell your bridesmaids what to wear not just for the wedding, but while they're getting ready, too? You're going to burden their closets with not one, but 2 wear-once outfits?

Please, don't.
  • Brides tend to get more excited about this than the bridesmaids do. As much fun as it would be for you to be surrounded by a posse of girls wearing shirts that AW you, most bridesmaids find it just annoying to be expected to wear something that someone else picked out for them.
  • If you insist on these things (iron ons/blank Ts to design your own or custom tops from the Knot shop for example), be sure to pick up the tab. Your maids will never wear them again. I don't mean for that to sound rude, but it's just a reality. Not the most practical purchase. 

It seems fun for the day, and if you have the money/it's worth it to you, go for it. I personally would rather spend that money towards their gift, which should be something they actually like and enjoy. Part of the wedding costume =/= gift. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • IMO I find things like that are a waste of money.  When my bff got married, she bought me a hat that had MOH across the top.  I put it on for about an hour the day she gave it to me, then it kind of disappeared in my closet somewhere.  We got a lot of really great pics of everyone getting ready just wearing the clothes they had on.    Also, it was kind of crazy while everyone was getting ready.  It would have been really annoying to have to stop what we were doing and pose for a group picture.

PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had saw having the girls wear comfy mens shirts so that they could just take them off after and not ruin any hair/makeup and they had last names ironed on them.  This would be inexpensive and who cares if they get tossed after.  i am hoping to do something like this but cheap and not a lot of time because i know im the only one who probably cares haha

• Some more considerations: Will taking off these getting-ready clothes mess up their hair or make-up? How truly comfortable are they for getting ready in? As a practical matter, Mands' idea is better than a tight anything. Still, I like to get ready in a thick robe. Otherwise, I get cold.
  • I don't think I will do this for my wedding but one of my bridesmaids is getting married in march and she has asked us to wear a certain outfit. We are wearing white button downs and black leggings. (I took one of my FI button downs that he doesn't wear so it would be long over my leggings. I didn't like the idea at first because I didn't think it mattered what we wore. But she wants us to do it and she is the bride! You could ask them to wear a solid button down or something that semi matches. Most girls have those. The idea has grown on me. She wants us to take some pictures after our hair and makeup is done, before we put our dresses on. I think they are going to be cute!
    Soon to be Mrs. Roberts :)Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-getting-ready?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f7d1f259-1618-4418-ac70-f0b30ca338c8Post:c491fcf3-2c4f-467f-8ba9-9f90e27f9cb7">Re: Bridesmaids getting ready</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think I will do this for my wedding but one of my bridesmaids is getting married in march and she has asked us to wear a certain outfit. We are wearing white button downs and black leggings. (I took one of my FI button downs that he doesn't wear so it would be long over my leggings. I didn't like the idea at first because I didn't think it mattered what we wore. But she wants us to do it and she is the bride! You could ask them to wear a solid button down or something that semi matches. Most girls have those. The idea has grown on me. She wants us to take some pictures after our hair and makeup is done, before we put our dresses on. I think they are going to be cute!
    Posted by kendalldavis[/QUOTE]

She shouldn't get to dictate to you what to wear getting ready.  The 'I'm the bride' mindset does not sit well with me.  White can be tricky to get make-up out of if something spills, so you're smart to not wear one of your own nice shirts.
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-getting-ready?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f7d1f259-1618-4418-ac70-f0b30ca338c8Post:acb1a607-621f-499f-9b37-29e3c549d6b6">Bridesmaids getting ready</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are any of you doing special shirts/tank tops for your maids while everyone gets ready? I saw a "Team Bride" phrase that's cute. <strong>Please keep your opinions to yourself pertaining to if this is a good/bad idea.</strong> I am only wanting phrase ideas. Thanks!
    Posted by sandytoes12[/QUOTE]

You can't tell people how to post, this is a public forum, so you will get whatever answers people choose to give.  And telling people how to respond just makes them want to give their opinion that much more.

I think 'bridesmaids' shirts are a waste of money because what's the point?  If I was your bridesmaid, I'd wear it (only if you paid for it), but it'd be going in the trash the next day because what the hell would I do with a shirt that says "bridesmaid" on it?  So now you just spent probably at least $10ea for something that's going right in the trash. 

Also, why do you want people to wear a uniform just to get ready in?  We did 'get ready pictures', but out of the 1,000+ pictures I had that day, I think only 2 even showed one of my bridesmaids before they got into their dresses.  So again, you are basically spending a bunch of money just to dictate what they wear when no one is even going to see them?

As long as you know the reality of doing 'getting ready uniforms', and still think it's worth it, then go for it.  But I'd stick with the simple "bridesmaid'" on the shirt and not try to do anything too cutesy...those are even worse IMO.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-getting-ready?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:f7d1f259-1618-4418-ac70-f0b30ca338c8Post:67591b98-7bf0-4454-ae6d-8703a6aedcbe">Re: Bridesmaids getting ready</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bridesmaids getting ready : You can't tell people how to post, this is a public forum, so you will get whatever answers people choose to give.  And telling people how to respond just makes them want to give their opinion that much more. I think 'bridesmaids' shirts are a waste of money because what's the point?  If I was your bridesmaid, I'd wear it (only if you paid for it), but it'd be going in the trash the next day because what the hell would I do with a shirt that says "bridesmaid" on it?  So now you just spent probably at least $10ea for something that's going right in the trash.  Also, why do you want people to wear a uniform just to get ready in?  We did 'get ready pictures', but out of the 1,000+ pictures I had that day, I think only 2 even showed one of my bridesmaids before they got into their dresses.  So again, you are basically spending a bunch of money just to dictate what they wear when no one is even going to see them? As long as you know the reality of doing 'getting ready uniforms', and still think it's worth it, then go for it.  But I'd stick with the simple "bridesmaid'" on the shirt and not try to do anything too cutesy...those are even worse IMO.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

This.
  • I think Team Bride is good. Or like (Your name)'s Girls...

• My bridesmaids LOVED theirs. They wore them for my batchelorette and for the day of.

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • I got all of my bridesmaids robes with their names on them. This was only part of the gift I got them. I think most of the girls loved them and have had a few say they were them every day still getting ready.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got all of my girls zip up hoodies with their first initial of their first name on it.  That way we will be plenty warm & they don't have to worry about pulling something off over their heads.  Bonus is that they can wear it again :)
    image March 2012 Bride Siggy Challenge
  • em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-getting-ready?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f7d1f259-1618-4418-ac70-f0b30ca338c8Post:f0208fc7-7b71-4936-ba5a-d833e58f6456">Re: Bridesmaids getting ready</a>:
    [QUOTE]Meh - I'm in the "if you pay and don't make a big deal out if, then it's okay" camp. I'm doing the white button-up men's shirt with their first initial on them. If they wear them again, great. If not, my feelings won't be hurt. I know alot of people on TK hate that idea, but some BM's do like the cutesy stuff like that. Maybe not "bridesmaid" plastered on the front of their shirt. But I've enjoyed getting robes or those wrap towels with my first initial on them, and yea, I've used them to get ready in again. In fact, they come in super handy when I travel and maybe have to share a hotel room with someone or something.<strong> Maybe that's my unpopular opinion, but whatever. I would ditch the 'bridesmaid' logo and go with their first initial.</strong>
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this, and all Rach said. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Thanks for your input ladies!

• I think it's cute and you should go for it. I'm sure you know your friends and can see how they'll respond! I think most people would do it just to make you happy, even if they weren't so hot on the idea - if they're rational they'll just say, what does it matter if I have to wear a certain shirt for an hour or two? As for the "making them have something they won't wear again" thing, no one is expecting bridesmaids to wear a shirt that says team bride on it later on lol. As long as you pay for them, I think it'll be a fun thing. And make sure that they have wide enough necks (like a large v-neck) to get over their hair and makeup without causing problems.

I really liked the idea about the robes with the first initial on them, that was really nice.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stick with names/initials so they might use it again.  Robes are nice, and I think the men's button-up idea is super cute - I might steal it!
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love those robes casims! Where did you get them, if you don't mind me asking?
  • I'd rather have a robe or a white men's tee than a cotton shirt!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm actually making racerback tanktops with their names on it for them. It's inexpensive and cute!! I asked my bridesmaids if they would enjoy that and they said absolutely!! Cuteset idea they've ever heard! I'm going to purchase the material and we are ALL going to make them so they can personalize them and to just have a fun day befor ethe wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridesmaids-getting-ready?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:f7d1f259-1618-4418-ac70-f0b30ca338c8Post:8ab07105-e36e-4324-a3f6-0b2238a5e706">Re: Bridesmaids getting ready</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're going to tell your bridesmaids what to wear not just for the wedding, but while they're getting ready, too? You're going to burden their closets with not one, but 2 wear-once outfits? Please, don't.
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

Burden their closets :D Fantastic.

Once you pay and your comfortable knowing they're a once off thing I don't think you're going to upset anyone. If your friends are the kind that would be into this then go for it.
  • Kotori7Kotori7 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I think robes are a great idea; I'm looking for some for my maid's as we speak. With the robes, they can definitely wear them again at home as loungewear. Either that, or I've seen where people take old tshirts and turn them into cute tube dresses that maids can slip off without pulling them over their heads and messing up hair/makeup. I would definitely front the bill on this though, since being a bridesmaid is already asking a lot of someone. Here's some good links!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrissysCreationsEmb?ref=seller_info

http://www.etsy.com/shop/silkandmore?ref=seller_info

http://store.plumprettysugar.com/the-lil-dress-bridesmaid-sets/

http://cancandancer.blogspot.it/search?q=summer+dress

Good Luck!!

-K
  • This is my idea of a phrase:
  • I love this idea! I actually found this post while searching for some cute ideas to get my bridesmaids for getting ready the day of. I have seen tanks, robes, button down shirts, and the cutest I found is an adorable romper. I myself plan on buying these items for my girls as part of the gift basket I am giving each one, but I was in my friends wedding a couple of years ago and we had shirts made and we picked upthe tab ourselves.

And for the people criticize you for having "not one but two wear one time outfits" that's bologna. 1) your bridesmaids know what they sign up for when they say yes, it's not an obligation it's a privilage to stand next to your bride so don't feel bad for asking certain things of them and 2) no way is it a wear once item - especially if its a tank or a tshirt. I wear my shirt all the time around the house or at the gym...so don't let that stop you either!

• Oh boy ...

First of all, please don't dig up really old threads to post bad advice.

I've been a BM before. Yes, it is a privilege to be asked. It is an honor - and that honor goes both ways. You honor your friends by asking them, and you show them respect and kindness by not making them wear matchy-matchy getting ready outfits. And no, it would never be worn again. Most people don't want that, and honestly, it would hit my goodwill basket so fast it would make your head spin.

Also, as an adult, there is no way I would ever wear a romper. Why not look at getting your BMs something more personalized, something that's a gift for them instead of a photo opportunity for you? Your wine-loving friend could get a couple good bottles of wine, your sports-loving friend could get some apparel in her favorite team's colors or maybe tickets to a game, your book-loving friend gets a new accessory for her Kindle and the next book in a series, etc.

Finally, the only things you should ask of your BMs are 1.) to get the dress (within their budgets), 2.) to show up for the pictures on time and sober, and 3.) to smile. Everything beyond that is gravy. First and foremost, they're your friends and family!

@knotporscha, can we get a closure here?
  • I love this idea! I actually found this post while searching for some cute ideas to get my bridesmaids for getting ready the day of. I have seen tanks, robes, button down shirts, and the cutest I found is an adorable romper. I myself plan on buying these items for my girls as part of the gift basket I am giving each one, but I was in my friends wedding a couple of years ago and we had shirts made and we picked upthe tab ourselves.

And for the people criticize you for having "not one but two wear one time outfits" that's bologna. 1) your bridesmaids know what they sign up for when they say yes, it's not an obligation it's a privilage to stand next to your bride so don't feel bad for asking certain things of them and 2) no way is it a wear once item - especially if its a tank or a tshirt. I wear my shirt all the time around the house or at the gym...so don't let that stop you either!

Bullshit.  It's an honor that the bride is giving the bridesmaids.  The bridesmaids don't owe anything to the bride for the honor given them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards