Hawaii

New to the Boards

I am new to the boards and according to the knot, I have just over 300 days to plan my wedding! I am not the girl that has always planned my wedding in my head. I think this whole process is stressful and not "my thing" but I also want to look back and enjoy this process so I am trying to stay positive!
Here is a little about me:
I live in Portland, Oregon
I work for a non profit
I am a big sports fan (met my FI playing flag football)
I come from a divorced family (adds all sorts of interesting elements to this wedding)
I am white
My FI is Vietnamese

Here is a little about my wedding (so far)
I am getting married at JW Marriott Ihilani Resort
We are getting married on August 28th in the morning
We don't have much else planned...

Things that I would like help with:
Where should we have the RD? Any suggestions would be welcomed
Decor. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to look cheap, but I also don't want to waste money on decorations that will distract from HAWAII!!!
Do I need a day of wedding planner? What are the perks, is it worth it?

Thanks Ladies! I am excited to get to know some of you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Re: New to the Boards

• ICongratulations and welcome to the board!      You could consider Paradise Cove luau for a rehearsal dinner or Roy's which is in the area too.     We had a WC and she was invaluable, she found us vendors that we would not have found on our own which did a great job but were more reasonably priced.  She also had rental items (vases, candles, etc.) that we used that saved us $$.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_new-to-the-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:acfba8fa-82a3-4b80-aea8-0e136b3dd7b6Post:9557ae86-920b-4e6c-9043-feb3458b5cac">New to the Boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am new to the boards and according to the knot, I have just over 300 days to plan my wedding! I am not the girl that has always planned my wedding in my head. I think this whole process is stressful and not "my thing" but I also want to look back and enjoy this process so I am trying to stay positive! Here is a little about me: I live in Portland, Oregon I work for a non profit I am a big sports fan (met my FI playing flag football) I come from a divorced family (adds all sorts of interesting elements to this wedding) I am white My FI is Vietnamese Here is a little about my wedding (so far) I am getting married at JW Marriott Ihilani Resort We are getting married on August 28th in the morning We don't have much else planned... Things that I would like help with: Where should we have the RD? Any suggestions would be welcomed Decor. I just don't know what to do. I don't want to look cheap, but I also don't want to waste money on decorations that will distract from HAWAII!!! Do I need a day of wedding planner? What are the perks, is it worth it? Thanks Ladies! I am excited to get to know some of you!
    Posted by hainomi[/QUOTE]
  • ALOHA! You will love the adive from these awesome ladies, they are the bestest ever! A day of WC is worth it, trust me.  There are so many little details that you shouldn't have  to stress yourself with while you are getting ready on your big day. I only had 1 guest at our wedding last month and the process was still stessful lol.  We had our RD at the Polynisian Cultural Center luau and it was amazing, we did the dinner and the show. The place is awesome to just spend the day there, good times. As far as decor, we didn't have any because the the setting had it all and there were only 3 of us. The only decor was my bouquet and his Ti-leaf lei, nothing else needed.

If you want to chill on a almost empty beach, head to the east side (windward side) to Waimanalo Beach Park. The waves aren't suitable for surfing and there is no reef so no fishies, but if you want to see an AMAZINGLY beautiful beach with next to no one on it, Waimanalo is the place in my opinion.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats and welcome!

How many people will you be having? This may help in being able to suggest a restaurant. I don't necessarily think that you need decorations, depending on your venue. Hawaii is so naturally beautiful! We are just having lei's for our ceremony and some flowers to have on the dinner table. No more decor is needed! As far as a DOC, I think it depends on how many people you are having. If it's a small group, I think you should be able to do it yourself. If you have a large group or have complicated plans, a DOC might be helpful. Do they have anyone available to you at the hotel?

Please let us know how we can help!
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you all! I think we will have 80 guest (maybe less) come to the wedding. The hotel has an event planner but not a coordinator, I still need to see what that really means. The website says it mean this:
    All weddings include the services of a hotel

Event Manager who represents our hotel. They will assist in planning and

ensure the highest level of service regarding menu selection, setup, timeline management and service of hotel staff. A

Wedding Coordinator represents the Bride and Groom. On your behalf, they will manage the delivery of services

from vendors requested by you.

So i guess i need to ask more specifically what that means and what it doesn't mean. I DO NOT want to be the person telling people where to put things on the day of. I want to get my hair and makeup done and then go a marry the man of my dreams. That's it. Nothing else!

• If you are getting married at a resort usually the person who you are working with will take care of everything that day. In some cases, they don't. If you want someone to take care of everything for you, you might be able to hire a day-of coordinator. Make sure you check with the hotel though, some do not allow outside vendors unless they are approved.

From the description it sounds like you have the option to hire someone to oversee everything, where the wedding manager just sets it up and making sure the staff follows a timeline. In this case they may force you to hire their staff member instead of an outside coordinator.
  • Thanks. I think I just need to talk to them and figure it all out!
  • IThe hotel manager is responsible for selling the property, finalizing your food and beverage, layout etc, they don't assist in creating your timeline, overseeing all of your vendors, etc.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_new-to-the-boards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:acfba8fa-82a3-4b80-aea8-0e136b3dd7b6Post:c6f27670-5a7c-4036-b780-d6ec50e859e6">Re: New to the Boards</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. I think I just need to talk to them and figure it all out!
    Posted by hainomi[/QUOTE]
  • Welcome to the board and congrats!  Sounds like your plans are already taking shape and you have plenty of time to work on the details. Can't wait to hear all about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards