Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Shy brides, how did you deal with the limelight?

Im not really someone who likes to be the center of attention. Just having everyone watch me open my gifts at my bridal shower was almost painful. Was anyone else shy on the big day and if so how did you deal with being the center of attention? (please do not suggest taking a few shots, not that it hasnt crossed my mind... just kidding).

Re: Shy brides, how did you deal with the limelight?

• I'm glad to know I'm not the only "shy bride" out there.  We are having a relatively large wedding and I am so nervous about everyone watching me.  I am going to try to focus on my FI and the reverend and block out everything else.  Don't know if it will work but it is my only plan at this time.
  • i'm so nervous about being the center of attention, more so than getting married. when i get nervous/stressed and peoplearreasking me questions or are all aroung me i get even worse or upset so yeah im worried about that
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was in the same boat for my wedding this month!

Before the wedding, I would designate a point bridesmaid that handled the questions and then talk to you. One of my girls stepped up and did it and that helped me from feeling overwhelmed or having an onslaught of questions.

I also changed the walk down the aisle to a surprise dance down the aisle and that helped a ton!! ( I know, you'd think like you'll look like a moron, but it really does help distract you!)

Once the bridesmaids started dancing, the crowd started to have fun and that lightened the atmosphere a lot! Since my dad and I were dancing down the aisle, I didn't notice everyone looking at me bc I was having to much fun.

Once I got down the aisle I didn't turn around! That helped me focus on just my DH and the reverend.

For the cake cutting, and reception stuff I just had to suck it up and try to look at what I was doing instead of thinking about who was watching me!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I understand what everyone is saying about how you don't seem to mind the day of the wedding. But I was still uncomfortable, and honestly, I kind of walked around in a haze that day because I was so uncomfortable. I'm not even sure I looked at my husband walking up the aisle because I was staring straight ahead the entire time- so that I didn't have to see everyone look at me. And I just kept smiling and thanking people and hugging or kissing people when needed. But to be honest- so much of the day is a blur.
  • I was really worried about being the center of attention also.  The whole opening gifts in front of a room full of women is pretty intimidating... On the day of my wedding, my step dad gave me great advice.  I was worried about fainting during the ceremony (a full catholic mass!) from being nervous.  His advice was not to internalize your feelings.  If you start to feel red and anxious, look out into the congregation and think about your friends and family.  When I started overheating I looked at all of the girls in the congreagation and starting thinking about their dresses (I'm a fashionista) :)  Sounds stupid, but any little distraction that can take the heat off of yourself will help. 

Once I had my stragegy down I was absolutely calm and relaxed and able to enjoy the ceremony without being self conscious!
    Due date: July 22, 2012!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_shy-brides-did-deal-limelight?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:9cbb4402-76ac-4a40-aa49-7baf795b0b05Post:16257e0c-9576-446e-9295-ecadcc9497d5">Re: Shy brides, how did you deal with the limelight?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i'm so nervous about being the center of attention, more so than getting married. when i get nervous/stressed and peoplearreasking me questions or are all aroung me i get even worse or upset so yeah im worried about that
    Posted by Kate504[/QUOTE]

This was me during our wedding on May 29. I was so nervous before the ceremony my stomach was upset- not about marrying my now husband, but about standing up there in front of everyone! Especially knowing already that I would cry during our vows. It helped me most to just focus on Chris and what we were saying to each other rather than about all the people watching. It also helped that at one point when I looked up at the people there to celebrate with us, there wasn't a dry eye IN the place! That reminded me that they were all there to support us and I felt a lot better then knowing I wasn't the only crybaby.

The part that was nearly painful for me I think was our first dance. Neither of us are particularly good dancers, and though we chose a pretty short song (My Heart by Paramore, cut at 2:30 before it gets all screamo) it felt SO LONG. I said to Chris while we were dancing "Wow, I think this is the longest 2 minutes and 30 seconds of my life. I hate being the center of attention". So if you really don't like being in the limelight, I strongly recommend picking a VERY short first dance song!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards