Washington-Seattle

Wedding Dress Shopping - Question

I just scheduled my first appointments to go wedding dress shopping on Saturday and am wondering what I need to know?  Any tips/ hints/ suggestions to make my appointments to go more smoothly would be appreciated!  Example:  Do I bring a strapless bra? Do I ware Spanx?  ect...

Looking for any help!! Thank you! 

Re: Wedding Dress Shopping - Question

• reebsreebsreebsreebs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They will have strapless bras if you don't have one. You can wear spanx if that is your style, but most of the a-line dresses I tried on didn't need them, the skirt was so full.

Otherwise, relax, don't let them talk you into anything you don't want. They will sell sell sell and tell you you need to order NOW, You don't.  Try things that are outside of your comfort zone, this first trip should be when you get a sesnse of what you like and don't like so streach a little.

And don't try anything outside of yoru budget. Don't appologize for your budget other brides have bigger and smaller budgets. Buy what works for YOU.

Ask for estimates on alterations. I tried on one $400 dress and love it but to add straps, cut off the train and get it fitted was going to be another $400. Not worth it!!

Where are you going?
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everything reebs said. Including the alterations estimates.

I have two theories on the spanx - wear them and if you're comfortable spending the day in them, cool. But if not - and you may well find that the thought of wearing them for 10 hours straight makes you go crazy, try going without and finding a dress that looks good spanx-less. But if you're shy about the salesperson helping you, accept their offer of a bustier and take a slip. Then you feel more covered while you're waiting for the next dress.

When you go in, resolve to not buy anything in that visit to the store. I know a lot of the stores will push you to buy right then so you don't go somewhere else but you need a little time to remove yourself from the situation to think and honestly, if they won't allow you time to think, they may not be your people anyways. If you do go back later and order it, though, be sure to give credit to the person who helped you. My younger sister used to work in a wedding/formals store and she would constantly get in trouble for even encouraging people to go get something to eat, talk and come back. Then when people did come back, they didn't realize how important quotas were and the other girls would just put their names down as having made the sale.

Also, you know yourself and your close friends and family. Take only people who will be supportive but honest. Watch some Say Yes and you'll see what I mean. And, if their opinions will only stress you out (I'm a people pleaser so having conflicting opinions would send me into a tizzy - therefore, I do best doing my initial shopping on my own and then bringing in opinions to confirm) shop alone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wear a normal pair of undies - probably not thongs - since you'll be nekkid in the dressing room with the attendant quite a bit, trying on lots of dresses.

Don't overschedule.  It really does take a good two hours to get in, try on some dresses, and get out.  Plus travel time.

Plan to eat.  It's really tiring, and there's nothing less fun than a grumpy bride who's really just hungry.

Don't bring too many people, and make sure the people you bring share your vision. (See every episode of SYTTD.)  You don't want to be overwhelmed with different opinions, and you'll want people with you whose taste you share, rather than people who will bad-talk you.   Remember that people who are picky and bossy every day with you will be MORE so during this experience - as with anything wedding-related, don't expect anyone to develop a supportive and friendly demeanor (if they don't already have it) just for your special day.

Have fun!  Go with what you like/want, and keep looking until you find it.
  • ckonidakckonidak member
    edited December 2011
    I just took a friend of mine who is also engaged to her first dress session, and the attendant actually offered me a job! LOL ---Anyway, my best advice, try on at least one of every style gown.--- Saying that they look different on a hanger vs on a body is an understatement. ---Trust your attendant (once they know your likes/dislikes) and ask them for suggestions. Bring a pair of heels to see how you feel in the dress (or use a pair there just to see). And do not let them convince you into buying something (anything) on your first visit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Oh my gosh, thank you all so much!  This is exactly what I needed!  I have been a little nervous about this and reading your comments has really helped me!  Thank you!

I am getting ready to head out with my mom.  We are starting local in Olympia and heading to Tacoma.  I assume we will eventually have to make our way to Seattle but for my first time out to figure out what I am looking for I wanted to not be too overwhelmed.  I have great friends but for this first trip I wanted to experience it just with my mom. 

I love all of the great advice you guys gave me.  I will keep you posted but thanks again!   I really appreciate it!

• jennlinjennlin member
    edited December 2011
    watch out for shady dress stores..there's one in particular in our area that i know of that has questionable practices... look up reviews on the stores, and definitely check the score on the BBB before buying your dress. do NOT get emotional and buy your dress as soon as you see it. do your research, check online....watch out for knock-offs and reproductions. make sure the store you are buying from is actually licensed to sell the product.. check the material the dress is made of.

can you tell i speak from experience? #1 advice is to check the score on the BBB website before you buy.
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards