Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First Dance Song

The song Thank You by Dido is special to us.  Some say this song is too fast to be a first dance song.  What do you think?

Re: First Dance Song

• norcalchic43norcalchic43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say if that song is special to you then you should do it!  We are doing "You got lucky" by Tom Petty.  Very unusual for a first dance song but when we first started dating, 13 years ago, he told me that if we ever got married we should have that be our first dance song so it will be!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also considering Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and You and Me by Dave Matthews but these may be too fast as well.  Need opinions.
  • edited December 2011
    It doesn't matter if the song is fast or slow. It's a dance for you and your new husband, so you should dance to whatever you like.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Are you considering taking dance lessons at all? we are doing a package and they dance instructor is choreographing a dance to our music. That way they can pick the right dance for the speed of music.
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you guys love it, who cares what others might think. Go for it!!
  • colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP's you should do a song that is special to you and your FI and the speed of the song shouldn't matter :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm doing a swing dance for my first dance.  No one said you couldn't do a fast song!
    And I love "Thank You"... I think it'll be great
  • edited December 2011
    I'm also doing a pretty fast song for my first dance, "Makes Me Happy" by Matt White, because it's special to my fiance and me!

At first I thought we'd get it choreographed because it's kind of hard to dance to...but my fiance nixed that idea pretty quick (this may be the only time he dances all night! lol)

Luckily, we have a musically talented friend and he is going to slow it down and preform it acoustic for us at our wedding :) Maybe if you have someone similar they could help you out? I imagine "Thank You" would sound beautiful without the background music :) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards