Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Advice needed - sister planning wedding too...

Re: Advice needed - sister planning wedding too...

• Options
    What's the problem here?  How will you affect her wedding plans? I don't see the problem.... Just as long as your weddings are like 3-4 weeks apart, there shouldn't be a problem.

1) Don't ask the E-board about this- You'll get creamed for being a selfish
    2) You get ONE DAY, I'll stretch it and say ONE WEEKEND. That's it.
    3) Just plan your wedding and don't expect her to help plan yours if you won't return the favor.

Momentary internal jealousy is fine. Be miffed! Have a glass of wine and get over it tomorrow.

You really should be happy for her, I mean isn't it awesome that she found a great guy for her? Don't you want her to be happy for you? I mean, you found an awesome guy too! What, actually, is there to be jealous about?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_advice-needed-sister-planning-wedding-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:9a8359d4-8d56-4858-8b8a-dc2273eb83e2Post:8a770c4f-b38c-480f-aaf8-afb698cd44bb">Advice needed - sister planning wedding too...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got engaged last week and have started planning planning a May 2013 wedding.  I know that my sister (who is my maid of honor) will be getting engaged in a few weeks, and they aren't planning on a long engagement either, so we'll probably both be planning weddings while being each other's maid's of honor.   This makes me crazy just thinking about it!  Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this?  I don't want to affect her wedding plans, but the whole situation just makes me want to elope!  We both live in the same town and attend the same church (and will have similar guests at our weddings).  Help!   PS I don't think a double wedding will work, because we have different tastes - a few people have already advised us against that.  
    Posted by srb13[/QUOTE]

And what if she happened to get engaged a few weeks before you?
  • Options
    Oh, people who don't understand what quoting a post means.
    Thanks, sydaries.
    srb13--I think you should have a long talk with your sister when she gets engaged about what sort of wedding she is planning and what expectations you will each have of each other (although normally bridesmaids basically just have to show up in the dress on the wedding day, as sisters, you can reasonably expect more, at least in the vein of moral support). That way the two people in the situation (you and your sister) can decide "how to handle this" (whatever 'this' is--an overabundance of happiness for your family?).
    I would also advise against a double wedding, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Advice needed sister planning wedding too...:[QUOTE]Oh, people who don't understand what quoting a post means. Thanks, sydaries. srb13I think you should have a long talk with your sister when she gets engaged about what sort of wedding she is planning and what expectations you will each have of each other although normally bridesmaids basically just have to show up in the dress on the wedding day, as sisters, you can reasonably expect more, at least in the vein of moral support. That way the two people in the situation you and your sister can decide "how to handle this" whatever 'this' isan overabundance of happiness for your family?. I would also advise against a double wedding, for obvious reasons. Posted by SachaBee[/QUOTE]

Why would she need moral support? This is a wedding, not major surgery or some difficult decision she's trying to make.

OP, I don't see what the issue is. You each get one day, and planning together could be fun.
  • Options
    FI's BM has been sitting on an e-ring for my MOH for months already and is planning on proposing in January, I am so excited for my to be engaged I can barely bite my tongue. I guess I just can't understand how you aren't happy for her. It's not like she's going to plan to get married the same day as you. Even if they opt for a 2013 wedding, May would be a stretch. And whoever suggested a double wedding is a douchenozzle, that's just stupid. Just be happy for her when it happens, then rejoice in having a planning buddy. You guys will go so bananas talking weddings together, what's not to be excited about..? Just chill out, let it happen, enjoy your day in May and enjoy her day whenever it happens. They aren't stealing your thunder. People can propose and get married whenever they want without your blessings. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I got engaged after one of my best friends, our weddings ended up being two weeks apart (I chose the later date not wanting to cut in front of her), and it ended up being a really great bonding experience for us :)  We could laugh or vent about things and we knew exactly what the other was dealing with.  Have fun with it :)  Try to help eachother out a bit but don't overload yourself, and understand she will have the same feelings. Just try not to steal eachother's great ideas! ;)  I agree with PP about after her engagement sitting down and finding out what she has in mind, time frame, theme, all that, sounds like the best place to start :) Good luck, and have fun! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards