Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

My Dress Experience (with pic of decision :) )

I read alot of reviews on here of dress stores, and I wanted to share my experience just so others could get another opinion. Background:I'm a 38DDD and slighty overweight however my street clothes are a 12, I just wear a larger top for the tatas. Because of this, I am subconscious about them being all over the place, and also about my weight gain.

Very first day I went to Wendy's Cincinnati Bride in Reading. I told the saleslady it was my first time out, I really wanted to try all different styles on and may not make a decision today (I thought it would be nice to be honest upfront). She told me to start looking while she finished with her other client (it was a Friday by the way). Well within a few minutes she ran over and grabbed my arm and said "NO! Dont look over here, none of these will fit you. You can only look here" and drags me to one single rack of plus size dresses. She was completely rude and not to mention everyone in the store heard it. I did find a few I liked but I was really subconscious going back there with her. Once I started to get undressed she told me she didnt have a bra "big enough for someone as big as me" and then said "well you're a nurse (I had told her this already),  you're not modest so I'm not worried about covering you up anyway between dresses." I have no idea what being modest and being a nurse has to do with one another, but I digress.
I told her part of the reason Iw as hestitant to buy that day is 1. I'm paying for everything myself so on a tight budget, a dress is a big payment at once. 2. I'm working on losing weight and would hate to order a dress then have it not fit. She kept saying "even if you lost 40lbs no one would notice, your figure wont change so you just need to get your dress today. Todays the only day I can give you a discount, etc.

My MOH noticed how upset I Was getting and started making jokes about dresses that I would NEVER try on and suggested the saleslady get me to try one on for fun, and she said "I'm here to please the bride, no one else, so no."
I did find one dress I loved but she refused to give me the style number she wanted me to come back in an hour to buy it. I left feeling very upset, and as I mentioned I'm not THAT overweight but she made me feel as though I was a sumo wrestler walking into a size 0 only store. They were very good about getting the dresses on you though, they're there to make sure you get in them correctly, clipped, etc.
(I did go to Davids Bridal after this because i've heard they carry so many dresses in so many sizes, but I really didn't like any that they had to offer in a bigger size (my dress size ended up being a 20 but will need altered in the waist). I wasn't real impressed with them, but I would definitely suggest people look there they have a wide selection.)

A few weeks later I decided to venture out again and go to Bridal and Formal which I"ve read very mixed reviews on. I did get set up with a very young (16 maybe), saleswoman who helped me which felt kind of awkward but It was okay. I told them about my experience at wendys and showed them a picture of the dress and they found the same dress for me to try on, and many like it and were willing to over me a much lower price as they are competitors. I ended up getting a  different dress than my original choice, but they gave me a really good deal when I explained my budget, experience etc. They didn't make me at all feel like my weight was an issue. She as honest about certain styles not being good for busty women, but she got a bra in my size and did her best to make it look as though it will when I get mine. I fell in love with one of the belts to go with my dress and the manager worked out a deal so I could get dress and belt within my budget.
I did have to be a bit more pushy with the girl about helping me into dresses, clipping me really well, etc because at first she'd hand me a dress and walk away. which it's a bit difficult to get a huge dress on and fitted properly by yourself. I had my MOH with me, but she wasn't in the same room to help.

I just wanted to put my experience out there because I know alot of people are able to buy samples or smaller size dresses so they have more options when it comes to trying on, which I really didnt. Both Bridal and Formal and David's allowed me to try on 12s which they could clip to me to at least get an idea where at Wendys they were very against even the thought. I'm sure every day, every sales lady, and every bride is different but just wanted to share :)

and whew am I glad I got the dress done! Although I'm not sure what to do with the veil and jewlery...

Re: My Dress Experience (with pic of decision :) )

• Options
    kmorgan28kmorgan28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my, I'm sorry your 1st experience wasn't nice!  I got my dress at Wendy's and was very happy there...after going to Bridal and Formal and being ignored.  It's amazing the different experiences each bride has when looking for the dress.. but the good thing is, you know what's right for you! 

I'm happy you found your dress, it's absolutely beautiful on you!  I love the beading around your waist! Good luck planning the rest of your wedding!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    dori851dori851 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your dress is gorgeous & very flattering on you! Congrats on finding the one :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful dress!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What a great dress. It fits you so well.  I love the beading.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow that is a horrible story. I'm so sorry about your first experience! I got my dress at B&F too, and they were great. Your dress is gorgeous and you look great in it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. I just wanted to share the story too because It's just another experience and I read alot about avoiding bridal and formal. I'm glad you like it too! :)
  • Options
    TedfordlTedfordl member
    edited December 2011
    I love the belt!  Such a pretty dress!
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for sharing the story about Cincinnati Wendy's Bridal, even if they're going under. We need to know these types of things because if it happens to any of us, we know it has happened before.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry about your experience. I actually had a very similar one at Wendy's too. I am a size 12/14 after losing 30 lbs and was told that I needed to stick to the biggest dresses because my hips were too big for the other dresses. I ended up picking 2-3 because I felt pressured too and was also very pressured to buy a dress that day. I can't stand that place and even if their main store isn't going under, I'm glad one is. I had a great experience at B&F in brides,bm, and shoes. No complaints Glad it worked out!
  • Options
    utegogglesutegoggles member
    edited December 2011
    The dress looks gorgeous on you! Very flattering. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I had the same experience at Wendy's. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone. I was helped by Sandra, the store manager, and she was so rude. I also wear a size 12 and she told me that I can not look at any other dresses than the plus size dresses because the others will not fit  you. I went against her judgement and tried on others in the smaller sizes and was able to get in them. I also had an appt and she was helping everyone else except for me. I found a dress that I liked at Wendy's but refused to buy it after their poor service. I also had a good experience at Bridal and Formal and will be purchasing my dress in October :). Congrats to you and I am so happy that you have found "the dress". Best to you and your future husband :).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_dress-experience-pic-of-decision?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:0572cd40-0d5b-4b51-95b6-80636f7c11cePost:8b9e107b-2ed2-4185-a12e-c2478926b836">Re: My Dress Experience (with pic of decision :) )</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the same experience at Wendy's. I will NEVER recommend them to anyone. I was helped by Sandra, the store manager, and she was so rude. I also wear a size 12 and she told me that I can not look at any other dresses than the plus size dresses because the others will not fit  you. I went against her judgement and tried on others in the smaller sizes and was able to get in them. I also had an appt and she was helping everyone else except for me. I found a dress that I liked at Wendy's but refused to buy it after their poor service. I also had a good experience at Bridal and Formal and will be purchasing my dress in October :). Congrats to you and I am so happy that you have found "the dress". Best to you and your future husband :).
    Posted by LongJK[/QUOTE]

oh my gosh that's EXACTLY who helped me! I am definitely sending in a complaint because I feel she was EXTREMELY rude and I was in the same position. That's crazy. So glad you had better luck too, thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards