Florida-Central Florida

Entertainment during gap

I posted about this before but I had another idea and thought I'd ask again.

Abbreviated question: should I give playing cards at the church after the ceremony to guests so they have something to do during the gap?  

Explanation:
The latest I can have my Catholic wedding is 2PM.  It will be over between 3 and 3:15 and the cocktail hour is at the Portofino Bay hotel at Universal Studios at 5PM.  So the guests will have about an hour to an hour and a half at the Portofino Bay before the Cocktail hour.  I can't do drinks and snacks I bring in because the Portofino won't let me. When I posted this before, everyone said it would be great to have an hour to just explore the hotel, the shopping and Citywalk and I shouldn't worry. However, if it rains, no one will want to explore all the piazzas or Citywalk so they'll be in the lounge and Bar American for the hour to hour and a half.  I'm worried this will be too long especially for guests who only know their date. 

So, I was thinking of getting playing cards to give out at the church after the ceremony so people could have something to entertain themselves with and play cards with others at the bar during the gap.  What do you think of this idea?   I'm not doing favors and I don't know that I would call this a favor. I would just have a sign saying "for your entertainment".  Playing cards don't have anything to do with our wedding theme but if it rains or the weather's bad it's something for them to do.  

Re: Entertainment during gap

• edited December 2011
    Can you start cocktail hour at 4?
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No and I don't want to get into this argument about the gap. I posted about it a long time ago already and the consensus was that the hotel is nice enough that people would be fine wandering around. Everything is set. The wedding is in four weeks.  This is how it will be.  
  • edited December 2011
    Defensive much?

It was a question.

Get over yourself.
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anyway... I think there's not a need for you to do anything. If you want to buy cards, then the personlized ones would be much better than just regular ones. I wouldn't really worry about it though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally they don't need to be entertained. Your in a great place and they can walk around and see the "sites" if it rains it rains. They have to leave the church drive to the reception find a place to park and all . Personally that will probably take most guest at least 30 mins.  You can get a pack of 2 playing cars at dollar tree for a dollar . But personal I don't think you need anything. If you wrote on the invite or on your website about the times then I don't see any reason to entertain them . There is alot of things to do while they wait for you already. There is so much to do on citywalk.  Don't worry about it.
    Anniversary
  • jmucheech21jmucheech21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, this may be really really weird, but i went to college in VA and was told at a bar that it is illegal to have cards in a bar in the state of VA.  Don't know if its true, or if they just didn't want them there, but in case this is a common law, you may want to call ahead and just make sure this wouldn't be a problem before you go and spend money on the cards.  Hopefully its not the case and it will be fine. 

Otherwise, I think its a cute idea.  =)  I'm sure guests wouldn't mind just sitting down and having a drink.  I've been to several weddings that had a gap in between and its never been a big deal at all.  I've jsut always gone to the bar with a few friends and had a few drinks.  =)
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a good idea, just in case. Is there any sort of common place people will be gathering at the hotel before hand or is it just kind of a free for all before the reception? If so I would almost suggest having someone bring them to the hotel because people might not think they'll want them after the ceremony but wish they'd taken them in case of rain or something like you mentioned.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    harmony, in the program, I'll be putting a list of suggestions of things to do and also that people can meet in the bar in the lobby and there is also a lobby lounge right next to it.  So, people may gather there but some may go to Citywalk and some may go to the main shopping piazza.  I'm not sure if the hotel bar would appreciate me setting up a basket of cards there or not.  Also, people from the hotel might take them instead of my wedding guests.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I agree with you Theresa . Do you have alot of guest staying in hotels there? Maybe you can put the cards in there welcome giftbasket? I think your guest will have alot more to do then most people guest. MY wedding and reception are in the same room/building and theres not much there but we havent decided if were taking pictures before the ceremony or after ceremoney before reception. Whatever you choose good luck.
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately,  a small amount of them are staying in the reception hotel even though almost all of them are from out of town.  A bunch of families decided to stay at Disney instead and make it a week long vacation but they are all at different hotels and a few more families own timeshares down here already and a few more families are staying with other relatives who live here. So even though we have the block of rooms, very few people took advantage of it.  I think only six rooms are booked and a few of those are the bridal party and my parents and I.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahhh. Yeah most of our guest are doing that too. I live in Palm Bay on the east coast so im about hour ,hour and a half from disney . So everyones getting hotels here and then the next day there going to disney for 5 days .lol.  Well hope you figure something out. Good Luck and congrats.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    also you want to figure in drive time from the church to the hotel since probably will eat up some of the lag time you have.   I am not sure the hotel would like you putting your wedding items in their bar area, that is a little intrusive.  Maybe as they leave the church you can have a card table set up outside with a basket full of playing cards. 
  • edited December 2011
    I really don't think you need to worry about the lag time. As long as the times are listed clearly (which it sounds like they are) people can take the time to go their hotel and freshen up or get a drink or walk around/go exploring. They won't mind having a lag time and the cards just might be an extra expense you don't need. I have a lag time of 30 minutes just because of the times I can set up at my venue and the wedding times my church allows and on my program I am just going to put the time the cocktail hour starts and a suggestion of what to do in the time (my stuff is all on Park Ave so I'm going to say: Please enjoy Winter Park and the shops and bars on Park Avenue.
    I really think you will be fine. Don't worry about it!
    My dad is really irritated that I have a lag time of 30 mins and I just told him that it is how it has to be and the guests can just get over it and its not a big deal- we are having an open bar and they can wait 30 mins for free liquor haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards