African American Weddings
Options

Vegetarian Menu Option

Anybody have any good ideas? I have a few vegetarians and maybe 1 / 2 vegan who will be attending. Being considerate of personal pallates, I wouldn't want to be inconsiderate and only have salad and cake for them.

If you have some ideas for vegetarian entrees that are good for a dinner reception please share. So far I have:

Vegetable Lasagna (which isn't vegan friendly unless the caterer uses soy cheese...but I don't know how well that would taste)
Eggplant Parmesean (same)
Couscous with Vegetables
image180 Made the cut!
image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
image 7 Found something else to do
image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image

Re: Vegetarian Menu Option

• Options
    edited September 2012

Butternut Squash Ravioli
    Sauteed Veggies
    Stuffed Mushrooms
    Anything Pasta

May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:30cc572c-cca0-4309-86c8-875e4a3ef037">Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anybody have any good ideas? I have a few vegetarians and maybe 1 / 2 vegan who will be attending. Being considerate of personal pallates, I wouldn't want to be inconsiderate and only have salad and cake for them. If you have some ideas for vegetarian entrees that are good for a dinner reception please share. So far I have: Vegetable Lasagna (which isn't vegan friendly unless the caterer uses soy cheese...but I don't know how well that would taste) Eggplant Parmesean (same) Couscous with Vegetables
    Posted by MrsSmith2Be02[/QUOTE]

<div>Staying away from cheese is a good way to cover the vegetarians and vegans so I like the idea of couscous and vegetables. Or you could also do penne pasta and vegetables or an open faced sweet potato with vegetables on top of it. Potatoes and veggies could also work...</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    rowenac82rowenac82 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:a889aabd-1838-4394-88aa-69b3ac6a82e8">Re: Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Butternut Squash Ravioli Sauteed Veggies Stuffed Mushrooms Anything Pasta
    Posted by shano06[/QUOTE]

<div>Stuffed mushroom cap is a great idea!</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options

Yea, that's what I thought too. Stay away from cheese and I should be good.

Stuff the mushroom cap with what?

image180 Made the cut!

• Options
    Stuffed mushrooms usually have cheese :/ Squash ravioli is a good balance. So long as there is no cheese
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:84926a9c-4816-40c1-9a80-a0fe0ff662de">Re: Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea, that's what I thought too. Stay away from cheese and I should be good. Stuff the mushroom cap with what?

You can stuff them with spinach or couscous.
    May 2013 January Siggy: Cake.!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:84926a9c-4816-40c1-9a80-a0fe0ff662de">Re: Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea, that's what I thought too. Stay away from cheese and I should be good. Stuff the mushroom cap with what?

<div>Well I guess now that I think about it...it's usually cheese and it's more of an appetizer but if they could do something with a portabella mushroom that would be nice...</div><div>
    </div><div>I am sure the caterer could come up with suggestions for you. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:be1e52a4-7ee6-457f-bd01-bdc870a61913">Re:Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stuffed mushrooms usually have cheese :/ Squash ravioli is a good balance. So long as there is no cheese
    Posted by M1ssJ[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>it will be hard to stay away from chesse cause cheese is on damn near everything...</div><div>
    </div><div>i dont eat chesse and i ALWAYS have to ask them to hold the cheese or if it has cheese on it lol </div><div>
    </div>
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Check these out:

Entree Ideas for Vegan Weddings

Mediterranean-style Entrees:

• Spicy ratatouille served over rice
    • Couscous stuffed portabello mushrooms
    • Pasta primavera with seasonal vegetables with sauteed onions or marinara sauce
    • Mushroom phyllo roulade with smoked-paprika creme
    • Tofu-squash ravioli in a cashew cream sauce
    • Roasted bell peppers stuffed with bulgur, herbs, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and toasted pine-nut stuffing
    • Roasted vegetable lasagna with vegan ricotta, broccoli rabe with white beans, sundried tomatoes, chili, and garlic

American-style Entrees:

• Rice with slivered almonds and snap peas
    • Southern fried mock chicken with BBQ sauce
    • Seitan meatloaf with mushroom gravy
    • Lemon-rosemary mock chicken
    • Mushroom ragout with pasta
    • Refried black beans and tomato rice with guacamole
    • Sweet plantains and corn tortillas with pico de gallo
    • Stuffed butternut squash
    • Peppers stuffed with rice and vegetables

Asian-style Entrees:

• Seitan and veggie skewers with plum sauce
    • Vegetable Thai curry with steamed quinoa
    • Angel hair pasta with vegetables in a ginger soy sauce
    • Vegetable Samosas and Pakoras
    • Chickpea curry
    • Spiced spinach and potatoes with mango chutney
    • Pistachio-crusted tofu over horseradish potatoes and wilted spinach

Side Dishes for Weddings

• Garlic Mashed potatoes
    • Herb roasted vegetables
    • Collard greens
    • Sauteed vegetable ragout
    • Vegetable skewers with garlic and rosemary
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options

What is a mock chicken?

image180 Made the cut!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:f41555c5-323e-4759-b647-39244252a4f3">Re: Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE] What is a mock chicken?

<div>To be honest I really wouldn't go there, I am guessing it's meat like tofu substitute for chicken. Stick with veggies and carbs and don't incorporate any meat substitutes. I think especially for vegans...</div><div>
    </div><div>I only eat seafood and if there wasn't a fish option, I would much rather veggies over tofu...some don't really like it. </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_vegetarian-menu-option?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:61040940-24cc-4a95-b901-22623ea20379Post:52c92e7a-77f3-46c7-9c04-1ef1006156ba">Re: Vegetarian Menu Option</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vegetarian Menu Option : <strong>To be honest I really wouldn't go there, I am guessing it's meat like tofu substitute for chicken. </strong>Stick with veggies and carbs and don't incorporate any meat substitutes. I think especially for vegans... I only eat seafood and if there wasn't a fish option, I would much rather veggies over tofu...some don't really like it. 
    Posted by rowenac82[/QUOTE]

Mock Chicken is basically a protein plant based substitute meat

<div>I agree with Ro. I like it because I used to be vegetarian but its tricky and if the caterer doesnt normally work with it ,downright nasty</div>
  • Options
    Oh I wasn't planning on using it, I was just wondering. Yes, I would definately stick with what has a KNOWN taste. ;) Thanks ladies!
    image180 Made the cut!

• Options
    Hey Twin,

We are having Pasta Primavera for ours (may not be Vegan friendly though because I think it has a butter based sauce)

I was @ a wedding this past weekend and the vegetarian option was called a Napoleon I think. It was a bunch of grilled vegetables (peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, etc) stacked and served on top of rice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 176-Made the Cut
    image Final Count 152-Are #Team Morris Wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards