Catholic Weddings
Options

What songs are you using for Mass?

I'm curious what songs you are using during your Mass and why did you pick them?

Re: What songs are you using for Mass?

• Options
    The Church's One Foundation - It's an interdenominational wedding, and it talks about the Church, the Bride of Christ; also, it's a good tune for processing to

marriage hymn by John Newton [can never remember the title, but there's only one] - only marriage hymn in the hymnal I really like, have known it since I was 9

Sing Praise to God Who Spoke Through Man - The main thing my future husband and I share (besides Christianity) is an interest in philosophy; this hymn mentions Socrates and Plato

For All the Saints - My parents' favorite hymn, played at their wedding
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Other than Ave Maria, I've got nothing.  We're trying to figure this out now, so I'm glad you asked, maybe I'll get some inspiration.  
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We had a Latin Mass, so there might be more music here than you need!

Preludes:
    Mozart: Divertimento for Violin, Viola, and Cello in E-Flat, K.563: III. Menuetto (Allegretto)-
    Mozart: Quartet for Strings in C Major, No. 1, Op. 74: III. Menuetto (Allegretto)
    Bach: Cello Suite No 4 In E-Flat Major, BWV 1010: Movement 4: Sarabande

Bridal Party Entrance:

Mozart: Church Sonata No. 3 in D, K. 69

Bridal Procession:
    Mouret: Suite de Symphonies, "Sinfonies de Fanfares"

Mass:
    Monteverdi: Messa a 4 da Cappella: I. Kyrie, Gloria

Offetory:
    Palestrina: Canticum canticorum (Motets, book 4): Surge propera amica mea

Mass(continued)
    Monteverdi: Sanctus, Benedictus, Agnus Dei

Communion Motets:
    Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus, K.618
    Nicholas Wilton: O Sacra Convivium

Recessional:
    Handelt: Music for the Royal Fireworks: Suite HWV 351: 4. La Réjouissance

Postlude:
    Mozart: Church Sonata No. 7 in F, K. 224
  • Options
    Here are some we've selected:

Bridal party processional -- Jupiter (Holst)
    Birdal processional -- Te Deum (Charpentier)
    Gifts -- Magnificat (Chepponis)
    Communion -- Gift of Finest Wheat
    Recessional 1 -- Spring (Vivaldi)
    Recessional 2 -- Hornpipe (Handel)

We're doing the Mass parts in Latin, which was FI's choice but I'm cool with it.  We're debating whether to do a gathering hymn.  The priest recommends it, the music director recommends against it.

• Options
    Many mentioned but "The Wedding Song" has always been my favorite.  I don't know if all priests allow it though
  • Options
    We used many traditional classical songs for the prelude, then the "Canon" that I know the organists are sick of, LOL, but it just speaks to my soul. Our hymns were "Dwelling Place," for the offertory which I adore, and "Shelter Me O God," for our Communion hymn because it was the first hymn I memorized after becoming Catholic. If we had it now I might put Christ Be Our Light in there somewhere since it's my current favorite. 

Linda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards