Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

My Great-Grandmother's Ring

My Great Grandmother and I were very close. She was one of the best ladies I knew. She died 3 days before her 90th birthday (at our house, she lived with us her last year) and only a few weeks before my 10th birthday. I still dream of her often and miss her so much. I was her first great grand child and I (according to my mom and grandma, her daughter) act like her very much. We even look alike! She watched me around 5 days a week while my mom worked and when I was 2 years old they decided to put me in day care 2 days a week so I'd learn how to socialize with children. (I have no cousins and didn't have a little sister until I was 4.) I was groaning when I walked up steps and sighed everytime I sat down...Lol...just like her. Thus why they thought daycare would be good.

This week, my grandma gave me her engagement ring and wedding band. I could not be more happy. We went to the jewelers (Kay Jewerlers in Briarwood Mall in Ann Arbor, their manager Hassan is the nicest man you'll ever meet) and they are going to resize her wedding band so it fits me better but not to lose the engraving from my great grandpa to my great grandma on the inside of the band. I will wear her engagement ring on my right hand. I was a little nervous that maybe my great grandma would be upset if I used her rings but my mom said the most wonderful thing to me tonight to reassure me it is fine. And trust me-- the woman doesn't sugar coat things so I know she's telling the truth. She told me my great grandma, loved me more than life and she knows she is just beaming at the idea that I want them and I am going to use them. She also lived through the great depression and it still affected her until the day she died, so she knows she'd be thrilled that the rings aren't "just sitting in a drawer."

I am so excited I just had to tell someone. Girls that "get it" when it comes to our rings. Doug and I get married 10-19-12 and my great grandparents were married 11-29-23 so just a month or so short what would have been their 89th anniversary. She loved her husband more than anything and I know I feel the same way about my future husband. It is great to know I will have her with me everyday and that their love will keep on growing.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: My Great-Grandmother's Ring

• That is a beautiful story. Wear those rings with pride and love!
  • That's wonderful!  My grandma gave me my great-grandma's ring when I got married.  I wore it as my something old and I still wear it as a right hand ring.  I never got to meet my great-grandma; she died 90 minutes before I was born.  I've always felt a special connection to her because of that.
  • Beautiful! My engagment ring's stone was my fiance's grandmother's...it's so special to have a family heirloom, and it makes for a much better story. :)
  • Fantastic story!!!

I have a similiar story with my Grandmas ring. She passed away in 2006, I got her wedding ring after she passed, I have worn it ever since(on my right hand). It's yellow gold, and the ONLY piece of yellow gold iIwear(My e ring is White Gold). I can't part with it and even though it may look weird to some, I wear it with pride. If my FI and I can have the love that my Grams and Pap shared we will be golden!
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • Beautiful story! I love hearing about family rings, they're always so wonderful.

Before my grandmother died, she told me dad that I was to have her rings. No one actually told me about this until FI was getting ready to propose! When FI slipped my grandmother's ring onto my finger, it was such a perfect moment. I love wearing my grandmother's ring every day, it's such a special reminder of the wonderful love in my family.
  • I feel like there should have been a warning at the top of this thread to not read it if you cry easily. ;)  Such touching stories!  Wear those rings with pride!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love heirloom jewelry!

Growing up, I had a great aunt who had lost her only child in the Korean war, so my Dad was kind of like her second son, and we were certainly treated like her grandchildren. A few years ago, I started wearing her wedding ring, which my mother had inherited (it was too big for her and can't be sized). I wear it on my right hand every day, and will wear it on my wedding day, too, as a way for her to be there with me :)
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is awesome!  Wear them proudly, and I'm sure she couldn't be happier that they went to her first great grandchild.  Enjoy them as you would your own.
  • Beautiful stories, thanks for sharing!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Beautiful story.  You'll be able to remember that connection with her for the rest of your life.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards