Second Weddings
Options

my second his first marriage

Question................we live together but have nothing really...old stuff of mine and  OLD stuff of his...do WE  register?  or is it ASSUMED we have OUR stuff instead of OLD stuff???

Re: my second his first marriage

• Options
    edited December 2011

We wrestled with this one too. After many people asking, we decided we would register. People are going to get you stuff anyway so it might as well be things you can use.
    CCH

• Options
    sweetvioletsweetviolet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think nowadays most people assume that a couple is registering somewhere, even if it's a second wedding for one or both people. And it's perfectly acceptable to register for upgrades of the stuff you already have - many people do this. However, I do see that your wedding date isn't until 2012, so, unless you have people that are already making noises about buying you gifts for an engagement party or something, I'd hold off on registering at all until about 6 months or so before the wedding. Stores discontinue stuff all the time, so you'd just be creating more work for yourself by registering anytime soon.

Congratulations on your engagement, and happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad you asked, because I'm in the same situation... It will be my second and his first so I'm kinda fuzzy on a lot of the details. What's acceptable, what's not?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Register!! (As the PP said - about 6 months pre event)

Otherwise you risk receiving the mythic chili pepper lamp.  Legend has it that an encore bride refused to register, and received a lamp shaped like a chili pepper.  For her home, that was fully furnished in a decidedly NOT southwestern chain restaurant theme.  From someone who would clearly be looking for it when they visited. 

People will want to give you gifts.  They are MORE confused as to what to get you since you have stuff already.  They may think your plates are shabby and old and need replacing - YOU make love them because they are your grandmother's.  They may think your beverage glasses are an eclectic collection of unique pieces, and YOU may think they are garage sale finds.  The registry is not a demand notice- its a wish list.  Most of the time, people who want to buy you a gift want to buy something you will like.  Make it easy for them.  ~Donna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards