Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Can I freeze my cookies??

Hey ladies! I'm a DIY bride and plan to make all my cookies for my cookie table. I think I'm making chocolate and white gobs (whoopie pies), lady locks, s'more chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies with icing design, brownie pops, chocolate covered oreos, patzels, kolaches, mini cheese cakes, reese cup cookies, hersey kiss cookies, and nutter butter buckeye balls., Now that I'm reading it.. I realize I'm crazy haha.

My question: can I make these up in advance and freeze them? How long in advance can I do these? Should I package them in a particual way? Any tips or advice? Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa

Re: Can I freeze my cookies??

• Options
    Eliza66Eliza66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd be more inclined to freeze the cookie dough uncooked.

I'd get everything ready to the point of going in the oven and then freeze them in a single layer. Once they are frozen you can put them in airtight bags. I do this often, and have had great results. It's so much less stressful to have all the hard, time consuming, and messy work out of the way ahead of time. Then you can bake fresh cookies closer to your wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

For my family's holiday party very year, my mom starts making baked goods months in advance (starts in october for the party in december) and freezes them in tupperware. Shes made a wide variety of baked good and they all come out tasting fine and fresh when thawed out. For the whoopie pies maybe just make the cakes and freeze them, dont freeze them as a whole. Also, I would save the cheesecakes to have them fresh too. Hope this helps!

• Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marshmallows and Whoopie Pies get tough when frozen.  
    Regular chocolate chip cookes and sugar cookies with royal icing freeze wonderfully.  I am not familiar with your other cookie types.  Check whether the recipes can be frozen. 
  • Options
    MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can freeze cookies after they are made as long as you let them fully cool down first. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oatmeal, chocolate chip, sugar, and peanut butter cookies all freeze beautifully. I usually put them in a plastic bag, suck the air out with a straw, tie it off, and bag it again. There are probably more sophisticated methods out there, though.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    des9724des9724 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your advice! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my mom freezes baked, cooled cookies by wrapping them in a ridiculous amount of saran wrap, then placing the saran wrap in airtight ziploc bags, then wrapping that in foil and sealing in gladware.

she's a little OCD but it's genius, they come out tasting fresh baked.  she does mostly sugar-based recipes though.  nothing with marshmallow.  2-3 months might be okay, though 4-6 weeks would be better IMO.

now i want a cookie.  
  • Options
    jmsw143jmsw143 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a trial run with smores pops that I wanted to make. We ate a bunch and froze the rest. It was great because I got a trial on making them and we would take out two more samples each week until they were gross. They were good for three weeks but not the fourth!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards