June 2012 Weddings
Options

It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower.

FMIL just let me know she's planning a shower for May 12.  Part of me is happy (I guess she likes me Smile enough to plan one), but part of me is a little very nervous.  I would only know her and FSIL (FI's brother's wife).  That's it.  I don't have any family or friends in this state, so they definitely won't be attending.  I'm just afraid I won't have any fun, or I'll stick out and it'll be incredibly awkward.  And, all of the guests will be much older, as in women in their 50s and up.   

Has anyone else had this issue or one similar?  What happened?

Re: It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower.

• Options
    The only people under 60 at my shower will be myself, my sister, and one friend. I have never met FMIL's friends. I think it will be slightly awkward and we probably won't do any games. On the positive side, at least those guests are unlikely to buy you lingerie and embarrass you!
  • Options
    My fmil didn't even offer to throw mine. My mom is
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_its-official-fmil-is-hosting-a-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e403373b-2ec7-43b2-838b-962bfae01e18Post:d8a6d5f2-dbfb-4445-91b3-9682f0c62d12">Re:It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fmil didn't even offer to throw mine. My mom is
    Posted by Zimsgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto.  (although my FMIL does live in Australia).  Chances are there won't be many young people at mine anyways though......</div>

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    leah2489leah2489 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I just went to a friend's baby shower with this situation. The only people there that she knew was me and her mom. It wasn't too bad, a little akward but anytime you meet a spouse's family for the first time it usually is. Since they all know each other, they had plenty to talk about, and we just added in our 2 cents whenever it was appropriate. Also, since they didn't know her there was a lot to talk about, just random getting to know you type things.

Hope it works out okay for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thats exciting that she is offering to throw you one.

I am wishing that someone will step forward and throw one for me. But most likely I will not have one. Everyone is so spread out, and not many local people are invited.

Just attend with an open mind and who knows what could happen. They might surprise you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I am in the same situation as you.  My FMIL lives in Alabama, where my fiance grew up.  She and the ladies at her church are giving me a shower in May.  I live in Kentucky right now and when my fiance and I get married we will be living in Tennessee, so I will be traveling to the shower with just my mom.  The only people I will know are my FMIL, my mom, and possibly my fiance's sister-in-law (if she comes).  It's a little nerve-wracking, but I'm sure that once we get there it will be fine :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    im sort of in the same situation...LOL...just stick it out and try to enjoy urself...laugh alot is my advice!!
    Mashavoo
  • Options
    My FMIL isn't hosting me a shower and that's probably because she would only have about 5 attend it. Most of their guests live out state and wouldn't come anyway.  So I understand why she isn't. Now I get to have one "big" shower.
  • Options
    Hmm well its great that she's throwing you one!  I guess I'd just try to make the best of the situation.  Everyone (older ladies especially) loves a bride in love and they'll just be so happy about the wedding that I doubt it'll be awkward.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic June 2012 Siggy: Favorite Engagement Picture! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FMIL is hosting mine too! Haha; it just never ends with us! I think we're just lucky to have the greatest guys in Cooperstown!

Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_its-official-fmil-is-hosting-a-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e403373b-2ec7-43b2-838b-962bfae01e18Post:5d18599a-6c77-4ae8-b073-5af30d3f2075">Re: It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm well its great that she's throwing you one!  I guess I'd just try to make the best of the situation.  <strong>Everyone (older ladies especially) loves a bride in love and they'll just be so happy about the wedding that I doubt it'll be awkward.
    </strong>Posted by michellep1[/QUOTE]

This; the most awkward part about the whole thing is that they'll probably fawn over you so much that you'll be ready to go pretty early ;)

In all seriousness though, would it be possible to bring up your concern to your FMIL and ask if you could also invite ONE close friend to help you out?  You could throw out the idea that you'll need someone to help you keep track of gifts or something :)
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • Options
    Ha! I have that same situation, I vented about it on FB a week or two ago. And it's on May 12th too!! But it's FMIL's FRIEND that's hosting the shower for all of FMIL's friends. So unfortunately, none of FI's family will be there besides FMIL so the only person I'll know is FMIL and the hostess (whom I've met 1 time before for about 5 minutes). It's just going to be a lot of polite conversation and trying to memorize names as I'm introduced so I can remember who's who when I'm opening their gifts. If you know FSIL well enough, ask her to help you out with names and stick by your side!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_its-official-fmil-is-hosting-a-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e403373b-2ec7-43b2-838b-962bfae01e18Post:7b4f826a-9c46-4990-8db1-c7aa8ad19896">Re: It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's official! FMIL is hosting a shower. : In all seriousness though, would it be possible to bring up your concern to your FMIL and ask if you could also invite ONE close friend to help you out?  You could throw out the idea that you'll need someone to help you keep track of gifts or something :)
    Posted by DrPB2b13[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or family in this state, or even the Northeast. I'm not kidding :(

I'll just put on a smile and hope I enjoy myself.
  • Options

Also similar for me, FMIL is throwing me a shower for FI's family in NY. Im from NH and my mom is throwing one there so i didnt want to double invite people. Luckily i know a few more members of FI's family, but I also requested that FI be invited too. Maybe its not the most normal but even though i know people MANY of the guests will be his older relatives that ive never met (we've been together 8 years) so i know he hasnt seen them either.
    I figured it would make me more comfortable and give him and his relatives an opportunity to see each other before the wedding....dont know if your FMIL would think this was rude but mine liked the idea...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards