Favors
Options

Out of town guest gift bags

Our wedding is in FL, but most of our guests are coming in from Chicago and DC and staying at the hotel our wedding is at. I need to make some kind of bag for each guest to be given to them as the check into the hotel but I have no idea where to begin! Any ideas on what to include or how to put them together? I don't want to spend too much money on this and I'm very DIY type so I have no problem making some things....HELP please :)
imageWedding Countdown Ticker Learning to make a good brisket is only the beginning. www.shiksatoyenta.wordpress.com

Re: Out of town guest gift bags

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would include a map of the area, brochures for restaurants and attractions near by, some fresh (local?) fruit, granola bars, maybe microwave popcorn if there are microwaves in the room, bottled water, small chocolates, etc.
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_out-of-town-guest-gift-bags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:41678d9d-c372-4972-b441-af19357cc1e8Post:7c9f128c-1e8a-44c6-8798-9205357aa1e7">Re: Out of town guest gift bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would include a map of the area, brochures for restaurants and attractions near by, some fresh (local?) fruit, granola bars, maybe microwave popcorn if there are microwaves in the room, bottled water, small chocolates, etc.
    Posted by PattyandAlan[/QUOTE]
    Great suggestions!! I'd also throw in some tissues, handwipes or hand sanitizer, and a little note from you and your FI welcoming them.

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You realize this is completely optional, right?
  • Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Small snacks are good (granola bars, single-servings packets of nuts or trail mix), maybe a pack of gum or mints, and a bottle of water per person.   You can buy all of this in bulk from Sams/Costco.   If you're feeling really into it, you could make a big batch of cookies and put those in there too.

Most local Chambers of Commerce will give you brochures for your town with stuff to to, maps, local sights, etc, for free. 

I would also provide guests with a schedule of events (if you think it's needed), list of your favorite restaurants, and maybe a list of religious services/locations/times if you think they will want to attend on Sunday.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the great ideas!

Peavey- No I don't think it's optional. I think it's rude not to give guests that have traveled over 1000 miles something to welcome them to your city (that most have never been to) and to thank them :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Learning to make a good brisket is only the beginning. www.shiksatoyenta.wordpress.com
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In a welcome bag I have received, the couple filled it with items that represented where they were from.  They made cookies in the shape of the state they were from (cutters for this actually exist), put in bottled water as their state is known for pure bottled water, and soda manufactured in their area.  They listed local restaurants based upon their favorite foods, and included a note as to why they loved them.  It was very sweet.

In the bags we made, my daughter and SIL filled it with all of their favorite things.  They had trail mix, tootsie pops, pita chips, gumballs, lifesaver mints, and individual packages of both coffee (groom), hot cocoa (bride), and margarita mix (their signature drink at the reception).  Any guest would know exactly why each item was included, and for whom the item was a favorite.

They also included a "hangover helper" kit.  This included bottled water and 7-Up, along with packets of Tylenol, antacid, Pepto Bismal, and saltines.

They included a little booklet that highlighted the details of the wedding day, maps, directions, and local attractions.  It listed some important phone numbers, a welcome letter, and the invitation to join them for brunch the morning after the wedding.

I had never heard of this before attending an out of town wedding myself the summer before my daughters wedding.  Although the bag was simple in contents, I found it to be an incredibly thoughtful touch.  I knew immediately I wanted to include this idea at my daughters wedding. I do think it is optional to the extent that many people would not think or know to do this unless they travel a lot or host out of town guests.But having been the recipient once, I knew I would have to include it as the hostess. 

And, in case anyone wants to make the claim that this is yet again another plot aided by wedding vendors to encourage brides to do unnecessary things, I would remind them........even on the simplest levels, anyone who hosts an out of town guest, even in their own home, will more often than not try to make their guest comfortable by including a few creature comforts in the guest bedroom, as well as in their home itself. Hotels have shown this hospitality for years by including more and more ammenities in their rooms by way of coffee pots, irons, hair dryers, toiletries, and candies.  I see it as a hospitality issue moreso than a wedding issue.
  • Options
    gbissigbissi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would def. include a bottle of water (the glasses at the hotel are gross), granola bar (great snack if they wake up early and can't get b-fast right away), little pack of pretzels, hand sanitizer, little stain remover wipes or pen (in case they spill oon their nice outfit at the wedding), tylenol (for the hangover).  If you have locally made food or beverage products, use those.  I would also try to make it themed.

Just think about it...if you were in a hotel and woke up early (after drinking a bit), what would you love to find in that bag or  you wish you had but don't because you aren't home?

You can do this pretty cheap!  Use coupons that double with sales, buy in bulk.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OP, you mentioned wanting to be economical. Me too!  Here's one route I'm taking to acquire items cheap/free - -

I'm watching Walgreens for items that are 'free' or almost-free after their Rapid Rewards rebates.. you pay full price and get part or all of the cost back in a voucher good for future purchases.

This week, I have been stopping at Walgreens on the way home from work to get Listerine packs of breath mint papers. 

Typically, both CVS and Walgreens have TONS of items free after rebate over Thanksgiving weekend. 

These aren't the only items I'll use in my OOT bags, but it's a great way to get some free/low-cost fillers.
  • Options
    mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We filled ours with mostly just snacks and bottles of water.  We filled up on items at Sam's Club - granola bars, crackers, cookies, etc.  I can't remember if we added fresh fruit or not (we had intended to add apples, but I cannot recall if they made it in.)

Contact your local visitors' bureau and see if they have an brochures, maps, etc. that they can add. 
  • Options
    JLBianchi83JLBianchi83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_out-of-town-guest-gift-bags?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:41678d9d-c372-4972-b441-af19357cc1e8Post:778a8e74-6f4f-4283-9f0e-c27e964b4091">Re: Out of town guest gift bags</a>:
    [QUOTE]In a welcome bag I have received, the couple filled it with items that represented where they were from.  They made cookies in the shape of the state they were from (cutters for this actually exist), put in bottled water as their state is known for pure bottled water, and soda manufactured in their area.  They listed local restaurants based upon their favorite foods, and included a note as to why they loved them.  It was very sweet. In the bags we made, my daughter and SIL filled it with all of their favorite things.  They had trail mix, tootsie pops, pita chips, gumballs, lifesaver mints, and individual packages of both coffee (groom), hot cocoa (bride), and margarita mix (their signature drink at the reception).  Any guest would know exactly why each item was included, and for whom the item was a favorite. They also included a "hangover helper" kit.  This included bottled water and 7-Up, along with packets of Tylenol, antacid, Pepto Bismal, and saltines. They included a little booklet that highlighted the details of the wedding day, maps, directions, and local attractions.  It listed some important phone numbers, a welcome letter, and the invitation to join them for brunch the morning after the wedding. I had never heard of this before attending an out of town wedding myself the summer before my daughters wedding.  Although the bag was simple in contents, I found it to be an incredibly thoughtful touch.  I knew immediately I wanted to include this idea at my daughters wedding. I do think it is optional to the extent that many people would not think or know to do this unless they travel a lot or host out of town guests.But having been the recipient once, I knew I would have to include it as the hostess.  And, in case anyone wants to make the claim that this is yet again another plot aided by wedding vendors to encourage brides to do unnecessary things, I would remind them........even on the simplest levels, anyone who hosts an out of town guest, even in their own home, will more often than not try to make their guest comfortable by including a few creature comforts in the guest bedroom, as well as in their home itself. Hotels have shown this hospitality for years by including more and more ammenities in their rooms by way of coffee pots, irons, hair dryers, toiletries, and candies.  I see it as a hospitality issue moreso than a wedding issue.
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]

Our wedding is in Naples, FL in 6 months and I LOVE THIS IDEA! Its so thoughtful. Our friends and family aren't from or near Naples so I love giving them not only snacks but maps and info on things to do around town. I will for sure be doing this! Thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love this idea!!!  We are having a destination wedding next summer in Orlando, Fl.  My only question is do you leave these at the front desk for the hotel to give out or do you deliver them when everyone arrives?? 
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Out of town guest gift bags:
    I love this idea!!!  We are having a destination wedding next summer in Orlando, Fl.  My only question is do you leave these at the front desk for the hotel to give out or do you deliver them when everyone arrives?? 
    Posted by sassypants82

It really depends on the policy of the hotel.  At our hotel, we were able to deliver the bags several days prior to the wedding.  We made a list of the guests, and how many bags were to go to each room.  As each guest checked in, there was a "flag" on that reservation that indicated they were to receive a bag. There was no additional charge for this service.

Other hotels may charge a small fee, or only allow you to deliver the bags the day of guest arrival. 

When we were the recipients of a guest bag, the bags had already been placed in the room.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What kind of bags do you use to put all the stuff in? 

We are having a small wedding and our out of town guest will probably take up 5-6 rooms and I think this will be a grea idea!!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    image 50 Invited
    image 24 are ready to party! image 0 have better things to do image26 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: January 1
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Out of town guest gift bags:
    What kind of bags do you use to put all the stuff in?
    Posted by MrsScottGlazer

We bought regular gift bags that you would use for any typical gift giving occasion.  The Target Dollar Spot happened to be featuring some that had a similar color/pattern as was being used at the reception.

Other brides have purchased solid colored bags and affixed personalized labels.  Yet others have gone the route of gable boxes or other more sophisticated packaging.

It's really more dependent on how much you plan on placing in the bag and how sturdy of a package you need.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you mobkaz!!! I can't wait to creat my bags now!! What a great idea!!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    image 50 Invited
    image 24 are ready to party! image 0 have better things to do image26 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: January 1
  • Options
    joysyearjoysyear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a great idea. I have about 10 or 20 guest coming from out of town. I hadn't really thought about the gift bags. But i'm definetly going to get started on them now. Thanks everyone.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone have ideas for gift bags for a cruise?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards