Snarky Brides
Options

What should I wear to my teaching interview?

I have an interview for a first grade teaching position this Friday and I just found out today.  I haven't had an interview since last summer and am unsure of what to wear for my interview.  I do know for teaching elementary school they often recommend candidates not to wear suits because they come across stuffy and formal.  The school I worked at this year was very casual (I wore khaki type pants most days) so my dressy wordrobe is lacking a bit.

I have pretty much narrowed my options down to the following:

Edit: I'm finding a picture of the dress to post!

Re: What should I wear to my teaching interview?

• Options

This is the dress.  I would probably wear it with gray flats and would wear brown pumps with the dress pants because they are too long for flats.
  • Options
    I went with the brown and mustard'ish short sleeves.  Though now I think it depends on the shade of mustard.  (Feel free to tell me how unhelpful I am) 

• Options
    Hmm. That's interesting. I always wore a suit on my interviews.
  • Options
    I have also only worn suits on teaching interviews though I've never had an elementary interview. Do you have a pencil skirt or something you could wear?
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Hmm, I can easily go buy a suit tomorrow if thats better.  I had heard not to but that could be wrong.  I don't have any pencil skirts...they are super cute on pretty much everyone except me unfortunately.   Now I'm thinking maybe I should buy a suit.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll be honest with you.  You're interviewing at a really rough time. I'd want to stand out from the crowd, look professional, and wow them with my personality/knowledge.

We do talk about what people wear when they interview--even supervisors and principals, so they will notice how you look/carry yourself.

I wore an A-line suit skirt (since pencil skirts look too sexy/booty-showing on me for an interview), a striped shirt in some bold colors, and a suit jacket, opened. I think the whole B&W suit thing is TOO business-y, but I wouldn't want to look too informal.  I guess an elementary teacher would have a better idea what's appropriate, though. Everyone in my school dresses up every day and I've noticed our elementary teachers are a little more casual.

ETA: At the very least, I would wear black tailored pants, a button down shirt, and heels. Maybe that will feel less formal?
  • Options
    Thanks Nates, that really does make sense.  Plus now that I think about it, I look extremely young so I might want to go a little more professional anyways.  I am going to go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find.  :)
  • Options
    I wore dark grey pinstripped pants, a whire button up shirt, and a blazer.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Go to Express! That's where I got all of my suit stuff and I still have it, in great condition. Suits were BOGO 1/2 off this week. Maybe just go with the shirt/pants, neat jewelry and nice shoes--I think that will be the perfect compromise between too formal and too laidback. Also, I know exactly what you mean about looking too young.

You seem to have a great personality, so I think you'll wow them no matter what :)
  • Options
    Thanks!  I was actually thinking Express :)  I like that their dress clothes are still cute and not stuffy or frumpy.
  • Options
    I think a couple of my suits are from Kohls. My real nice one is from Express. You'll be fine no matter what but I agree with Nates. I'd air on the side of too formal. They'll be able to tell you are fun, creative, etc when you start talking.
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    Oh, i hadn't thought of Kohls.  I will definitely check there too.  Thanks :)
  • Options
    Thanks!  I hadn't thought too much about accessories.  Thoughts on pearls with matching pearl studs?  Do you consider hair down or up more appropriate?
  • Options
    I teach high school.  Personally I would go for at least a button-down shirt (not sure if that's what you meant by 'white shirt') with slacks and a cardigan.  I only ever wore suits to interviews, but I can see how elementary interviews might be different.  If you go the suit route, maybe opt for a brightly colored shirt underneath to make it less formal.  Good luck!
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    Great, thats what I was thinking.  Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    With teaching interviews, I agree accessories can literally make or break. I was always told that the rule of thumb is not to wear more than 4 pieces of jewelry (earrings does count as two).  If you are too accessorized, it can send the wrong impression.

For my interviews, I had two trusty pencil skirts (one gray, one black) that I would swap in various button down shirts and/or jackets with.  I'd avoid any sort of skirt that flows or is billowy. The key is to look professional.

Good luck! I hope it goes well! I'll say a prayer for you!
  • Options
    Thanks so much Chels.  I will be sure to let you ladies know how it goes!
  • Options
    Good luck Bri! I agree with everyone who said suits!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with everyone else. I'd do a skirt suit and ditch the coat if you think you're being too formal.  Then you've still got the nice skirt and formal shirt.  At least that's what I've done when I wasn't sure how formal to dress... fwiw, I freaking hate suits.

and good luck :)
  • Options
    and ditto Dot on the perfume. DON'T WEAR ANY.  ditto with the obnoxious bracelets. 

I skimmed most of this, but I'd do your hair up, too.  You'll be less likely to play with it if you get nervous.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_what-should-i-wear-to-my-teaching-interview?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6e7566b7-5be4-4b7d-af90-74954e79941bPost:82b3b897-c02f-4f26-ae22-1cc9be3046bb">Re: What should I wear to my teaching interview?</a>:
    [QUOTE]and ditto Dot on the perfume. DON'T WEAR ANY.  ditto with the obnoxious bracelets.  I skimmed most of this, but <strong>I'd do your hair up, too.  You'll be less likely to play with it if you get nervous.</strong>
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention this too. Hair up is always much more professional as well (and less likely to play with it).

I get SUPER fidgety when I'm nervous and without realizing it last year, I spent an entire interview swiveling my chair back and forth.  I now make a conscious effort to plant my feet on the floor and cross my hands in my lap (I click pens too lol).
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    When I was in college and prepping for interviews for jobs, my communications prof told us that brown in a color of weakness. Stick to bold colors like black and navy.

ETA: Good Luck!!
  • Options
    I second/third/fourth/etc on the suit idea.  It is a tough time but it is ALWAYS best to be more professional than not.  Keep it very modest, not low cut, etc.  For accessories, I would recommend simple stud earrings and a bracelet.  Remember, these people want to look at you like a professional and not a student teacher.  GOOD LUCK!!!  Keep us posted!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards