Outdoor Weddings
Options

Rain on the brain

My partner has expressed very few preferences as we have started to plan our October 2011 wedding. He asked for fall. No problem. He asked for small. I wanted that too. He asked for a wedding party. We're negotiating how many on each side. He asked for an outdoor wedding (ceremony). I choked. All I can think about it is WHAT IF IT RAINS?!?!?! I'm not sure my nerves are strong enough to cope with that possibility, but I don't want to say "no" to his idea just yet.

So here's my question... For those who have chosen to have an outdoor wedding and/or reception, how do you mentally and emotionally deal with the possibility of rain? For those who have been there-done that and it rained, how did the bad weather impact your week leading up to the wedding? Your actual experience of the day? Your memories, looking back? Would you go back and change anything?

Re: Rain on the brain

• Options
    I have a back-up indoor location.  We could book it for free if we had both the ceremony and reception at the same site.  I think many sites do this.  The back-up usually isn't as nice... but it'd probably be nicer than getting drenched :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are ordering a tent and decorating it to look very nice. It has roll up sides so if it is not raining the sides are not visible but if it rains it will go down to the floor. I have been told that since the tent is erected the day before unless it has been raining for days prior the ground should stay fairly dry with only patches of water in low spots. My event planner has assured me that they will have kitty litter on hand to soak up any puddles before the wedding if it gets really bad and they will throw down rugs.    Other than that you can have a backup location if you feel really stressed. Like the previous writer they get the inside for free, that is nice.   Just do not worry about it though, do your research, how likely is it to rain enough to ruin your wedding day? If it rains I will just go and buy a bunch of umbrellas and rainboots for people. Some in super bright colors so that it is funny.    Plus - Its good luck! It comes from several cultures mainly from the Hindu with the idea that a wet knot is harder to untie. Since marriage is often referred to as tying the knot. Rain was also a symbol of fertility to agricultural societies, since rain restored and maintained the wellness of crops. Crops were peoples main source of stability and income so it was thought to guarentee a long happy marriage!  
  • Options
    I just went into it thinking it could very well rain. In the end, it wasnt how the day turned out but the fact that I was married to my husband. Wedding in five days, and all is looking fine. We have a tent, just in case.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    "Elsie was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."
  • Options
    You get a back-up plan and quit worrying. Stressing about it isn't going to change the weather. I will admit we all check the weather pretty frequently, though. Whether (heheh) you get married outdoors or inside, if it rains, you will still need to work out logistics.
  • Options
    Ditto on the backup plan.  It may be something a little more informal, or not - my venue came with a backup plan, since the ceremony and reception were in the same place.  They were prepared to set up the reception area for the ceremony in the case of rain, and then switch it all around during cocktail hour.  It was the only way I was comfortable doing an outdoor ceremony (which my husband really wanted), knowing that they had a full plan and plenty of people to execute it, plus pictures of indoor ceremonies there were beatiful. 

If you're really stressing out about it, I would look into venues with a similar setup, rather than trying to DIY a backup plan (for example, at a park) - I know I would have been very stressed about the weather if I was going to have to have my friends and family moving chairs and decorations around at the last minute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My wedding is also in October 2011. My father is a farmer, so he looked up the date and month in the Farmers Almanac. It is a book farmers use to predict how their crops will turn out that harverst season. The end of October is clear. Happy Matromony!
  • Options
    We are having an indoor/outdoor wedding. The ceremony will be in a barn, but getting from the car to the barn you'd get wet. And the reception is at the same place, plus a bunch of outdoor space. Basically I've told myself that if nothing else, if it rains, we can eat indoors, in the barn. And if it storms that would be amazing, because FH and I LOVE storms and it would be romantic. If it does rain, I plan on last minute (like the day before), going to get a bunch of candles for the barn. Sooo romantic!
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    We were married in the garden of a private historical home.  We picked the place, not only because we loved it, but because there was also a beautiful parlor that we could use in case it did rain.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    i have always wanted an outdoor ceremony. so that is what we are planning for- and of course in new england, i'll be lucky if its not snowing- springtime or no.

so we will move the ceremony inside the reception hall if we have to. of course i'll be super bummed, but oh well.
  • Options
    I GOT MARRIED IN THE POURING RAIN! IT WAS SOOOOO ROMANTIC! It actually worked out for the best! I worried for a year, and then it happened and we made the best of it! I am going to try to post some pictures on my blog soon, but I want to share my dos and don'ts and advise! If you have any questions for me, feel free to leave them on my blog under comments, and I will definitely get back to you!
  • Options

I am getting married a week from today, and we have planned an outdoor wedding.  When renting the venue we selected, the price included the usage of their indoor facility in case of rain.  If you look around, I'm sure you will be able to find a location that fits your needs.  Another thing to consider; I did research, and I found that October was a month with a lower rate of precipitation. 

Even if you look at the weather day in and day out, as I have been doing, the weather predictions are constantly changing. When originally looking up the forecast for my wedding day, it said 0% chance of precipitation, the next day I looked it said 60% chance, then today it says 0% chance again. You have to learn to go with the flow if you plan an outdoor wedding.  At the end of the day, all that should be important to you is that you are marrying the love of you life.

• Options
    My backup is to just move the ceremony inside FMIL's house. Our guest list is so small that everyone will fit in her living room for the ceremony. I'm not worried about rain, it could create some exceptional photos as well!
    Always Daddy's Little Girl
    kimdad-2

Mr. vs Mrs. Food Blog
    (Updated 6/12/11, please vote for the next dish!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards