Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Grandma's walking me, not dad(long sorry)

So I decided to have my grandma walk me down the aisle.I've been thinking/talkin about it with cousins and sisters for several months. I talk with my dad maybe once or twice a year and thats via Facebook or through my oldest sister, who he's close with(we're not close).

Well,  I've always been close with my g-ma and my mom, but my mom passed away 7 years ago. So, I asked her the other day to walk me and she was so excited and said I made her day, i think partly because my aunt recently passed and my g-ma was taking it pretty rough and she's been feeling down(which has nothing to do w/why I asked). So, 2 weeks ago I sent my dad a msg. asking if he was planning to wear a tux or suit,etc to the wedding, because my FI's dad is going with a tux so I was just letting him know, so he wouldn't stand out, but its no biggie to me either way. So he sends me a message today saying "if i'm walking you down the aisle, then probably, but if not, then no, I'm not wearing one." and asked what my plans were, so I said well I was planning on having grandma walk me.

Five minutes later, my oldest sister(the only one he's close with) texts me and said he called her crying and all sad about the whole grandma thing, then about 2 minutes after that he text my other sister(who he's not close with) and tells her he's pissed. Then he sends me a msg saying maybe your g-ma should wear a tux. Should I be feeling bad? would you? I did feel bad at first, but then I stopped and thought, no he's never cared or showed interest before. I feel he only wants to do it to look like he's Mr. dad.

Now the backstory is: my parents were divorced right after I was born, so I never lived with my dad and we only saw him twice a year (xmas and 1 time between my sisters and my b-days). He has never had an interest in my life or the things I do, my mom majorly struggled raising the 3 of us(aside from my g-ma helping her) and he never paid child support or helped throughout our childhood, but he always had nice things and a nice house, etc. Now(the 2nd time he met my FI and the 1st time he met my sisters FI)he starts showing them what his 2 girlfriends who are younger than me(I'm 26, my dads in his 50's)look like and acting like he's cool, because he's a cheater(which he did to my mom). 

Now, I never asked for him to help with our wedding, but saying hey here's $20, thats all I can afford now, would maybe shows he has a slight interest, but I don't think he does and he knows I'm working 60-80 hrs a week to pay for our wedding(My FI is military, so there's not much more he can do in the $ dept, so it's pretty much all on me). Well my sister recently got engaged and our dad told her FI "don't expect me to help pay for any of your wedding. It's a waste of $".

What would you do? Would you feel bad? I'm sticking with g-ma and I don't want to give him the honor to walk me even 1/2 way. I want my grandma to have that full honor, because I know she cares and she means a lot to me as i do to her. 

Thanks ladies. I'm confused and not quite sure how I should feel about the situation

Re: Grandma's walking me, not dad(long sorry)

• Options
    Thank you so much ladies for helping me feel better about it.And i do feel he was acting like a child saying that my gam wear the tux. I just replied back "No. I'm sure she'll wear a nice dress or something like that" and he never replied back.I thought the same thing about when he said he'd wear  tux if he was walking me, but not if he wasn't, so he had to have had an idea of that beforehand or why would he have said that.  

Basically, he knows he's never been there and when we had to go see him those couple times a year me and my sister(the middle sis who isn't close w/him) would cry and beg not to go, because we didn't want to go with him, because to us, he was kind of a stranger. He was never mean or hurt us or even yelled at us, but we just didn't know him and sometimes my 1 sis and I would get to stay at g-mas instead. 

My grandmas already said "I'll try to walk as fast as I can"(cuz she has bad knees and walks kinda slow) I said we can walk as slow as we need to. lol. My grandmas so funny, but she did already ask what color/length of dress to wear. haha. i tod her whatever she likes will work.
    And i don't know if i mentioned my wedding is in CA(tats where we lived and plan to go back to after FI's military orders are up here) and most of my fam is in MI, but my grandma keeps offering my cousins to pay for their plane tickets there, just so I will have some fam there.She's also even offered to pay for my best friends ticket(who is a BM), because she's gonna fly with her and make sure everything goes good, because of her knees and stuff.lol . Now for someone to do tall hat I know they care!!! 

My grandmas awesome and don't worry the aisle she'll be walking me down isn't super long. I'm walking down a lg. set of stairs alone and walking with her from there to my FI. THANKS AGAIN. and sorry it's long again
  • Options
    My step dad is walkign me donw, not my bio dad.  Eric has been more in my life and like you said..now suddenly our real dads want to be in our lives for that five minutes??  you are doign the right thing.  I feel bad sometimes too but you gotta follow your heart and you know who really has been there for you..
  • Options
    Sorry if this comes off catty, but it seems like your dad already "gave you away" a long time ago right after you were born. Now, at your wedding. it's your real parent's turn (your grandma) to give you away to someone you love.

It may be the traditional daddy's role to give his daughter away at her wedding but if he wasn't daddy and you're not close and you were raised by someone else who played a parental role in your life, then by all means keep grandma. And she's thrilled about it, which is really wonderful!
  • Options
    meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    I love the fact that you're having your grandmother walk you down the aisle. It sounds like you're making the right decision, and whether your dad suddenly gets the attention is something he should have thought of long ago.

Are you planning on a father/daughter dance? It doesn't sound as if you are, and I wouldn't blame you. Assuming that's the case, you could always just sort of smooth things over (and possibly calm down the pre-wedding tantrums) by saying something like, "I'm so glad that Grandma will be there to support me, especially since my mom can't. We're not planning on having any official dances other than our first dance during the reception, but I'm also really looking forward to dancing with my dad on that day."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards