Chit Chat
Options

My 1st NO to FI about guest list :)

I had my first disagreement with FI this past weekend over our guest list.  I have known since we started planning that we both have huge close immediat families and we would have close to 200 people invited. This includes out to 1st cousins and a few very close friends. 
We split it down the middle and we each got 100 invitations. He has invited a lot of people he "used to hang out with" which was fine with me as long as we stayed under the 200 people. We have actually maxed out at 225, with some compromise.

Then he comes home after work Friday and says "I saw Lori at WalMart on my way home and she said she's looking forward to the wedding" 
This is a girl he used to work with, rarely ever sees and I don't really know at all. No jealousy on my part, no reasons for it, but I looked at him and said No, she's not invited. He's like she'll get mad and be hurt. And I counterwith, "I really don't care, neither one of us "know" her that well, you haven't worked with her in several years, no she is not getting an invitation. We are already maxed out and 25 people over our plans."

He then countered with she'll be hurt if we don't invite her. I said "J, you have already invited friends you rarely see, but I haven't said anything since these are guys you grew up with, but this time its No. Unless you want to remove someone from the list.  I'm still looking at ways to cut people (no STD or Inviations sent, just a working list) He then says what do I tell people when they ask about it, and thanks to you ladies I had an answer....."unfortunately our budget doesn't allow for us to invite everyone we'd like, so we are having a very small wedding" (whether or not this is true).  Then, J, you change the subject or walk away!

I will say that wasn't easy to do.  He casually know about 1/2 the county he lives in from work one way or another!
image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: My 1st NO to FI about guest list :)

• Options
    Good for you. Saying No isn't easy to do and the last thing you want to do is argue about your wedding plans. I completely agree with you that this "women" you barely know should not be included. You shouldn't have even had to mention anything about jealousy. Even I as a guy know that trying to include a former female employee I have little contact with would be a NO NO!!!! My FI and I both agreed at the beginning that we would not be inviting any friends, who we have had no contact with in more than a year. After all some people are more acquaintances, than friends and it's hard to distinguish between the two at times like this because you want to announce to the world how happy you are and want so bad for everyone to witness it. Stand your ground, make no exceptions to this one, but don't be boastful either. Us guys can be more insecure than you ladies at times!

-Keith
  • Options
    Good for you!!  It's a really problamatic situation to have a fiance who doesn't know how to say no when people try to invite themselves.  And sidebar- how presumptuous of this woman who he hasn't kept in touch with to think that she's important enough to him to get an invitation.  This isn't just a party, it's a much bigger deal.  Stick to your guns on this one. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    good for you, girl! it's tough making cuts, but seriously, no need to invite someone you're not close to. i hate how presumptuous people can be about weddings. just because you know someone who is getting married doesn't mean you'll be invited to their wedding! stand your ground [:
    *marc & catrina*
    *10.9.10*
  • Options
    YAY!!  That is really good for you.  It does become a difficult when FI can't say no to people and people always assume whether they haven't  seen you in months or years that they will be invited.  I don't get that!!  Why would I invite someone who I haven't kept in touch with years and happen to just bump into you at some point?  Stick your ground, you provided your FI with the perfect answer for any one else self inviting themselves and making sure he stays close to the number of guests. 
  • Options
    Good for you! I had to do the same thing. Almost exactly...He says, "well I used to work with her, and now she sometimes comes in when I'm working and I see her." In my opinion, this does not constitute someone we invite to our wedding. Smile
  • Options
    Thanks! I knew you guys would be great moral support.  I will admit, I took a very deep breath before I said NO.  J has a lot of casual acquaintances and he doesn't realize that really doesn't mean they are close enough to get invited to our wedding. Hopefully he will think before he speaks next time.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The other thing to keep in mind (from my experience) is that it might be the first stone in an avalanche...It's great that you checked it early! It's amazing how many people keep popping into our minds, and our families' minds, after the list has already been finalized.  If they didn't pop in your mind when you made the initial list, they probably shouldn't be on it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards