New York

Covering up tattoos...all advice welcomed (kinda long)

Basically, the other day my mother asked me if I would consider covering my tattoo for the wedding. I'm irritated and feeling for her at the same time. I have a very large tattoo that covers the entire upper half of my right arm - yes, it stands out quite a bit. On top of that, I have many other tattoos - both feet, ribs, hips, wrists, back of my neck, yadda yadda I'm a tattoo freak! My entire family knows this, everybody has seen them. Not to mention my FI is also covered from the neck down, regardless he'll be wearing a tux but his neck and hand tattoos will show.

So my mom tells me that this is the "one thing" she asks of me. She is paying for part of the wedding, and out of respect she thinks I should do this for her. Her main point is that she thinks everyone will be focused on my large tattoos and not how beautiful I'll look in my dress. I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to scream NO WAY but I also don't want my mother to be upset with me on my wedding day.

My tattoos are a part of who I am, and I shouldn't have to change myself to please anybody else. I mean, this is my wedding we're talking about. The most important day of my life and I want to look like ME! Everybody who is attending this wedding already knows I have these tattoos - so it's not like it's going to be some huge shock when I walk down the aisle. She actually wants to buy one of those makeup kits that completely covers the tattoo.

To give you an idea of how I'd look in my dress...

Like I said, I really don't want to hurt my mother's feelings because I know she really wants me to do this. And she is paying for part of the wedding. I just can't bare the thought of covering up something that I love that is part of me...especially on my wedding day. Help. Cry
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Covering up tattoos...all advice welcomed (kinda long)

• edited December 2011
    That's a tough situation- I can see how you are torn :-( It is apparent that you are passionate about this, and I can understand how you want your wedding day to represent you and your FI. Have you told your mom how you feel? I wish I had better advice, but I dont know how you would compromise on this point. Cover them for just the ceremony? Or some pictures? I'm not sure that would help your situation.

Sorry I can't be of more help! But your dress is gorgeous!!! They'll definitely notice!
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My friend covered her visible tatoos for her wedding. She saw it more as "dressing-up" not "covering-up." Sort of like you get your nails done and wear high heels for a special event, even if you don't wear them everyday and that's not "you."

It doesn't seem like you see it this way, so maybe you can compromise with your mom and have a "bridal" shoot with your photog where the tatoos are covered. That way she'll have photos of you in the dress without the tatoos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There is a girl from my month board who has the same issues. In the end she did not cover her tattoos, and she still looked gorgeous.

If you are going to try to compromise then I agree with the others- maybe cover them up for the ceremony & some pics, then uncover for more pics and for the reception. Or you can do a bridal shoot one way, and do the other on wedding day.

My question is this--- do you think that when you're 80 you're going to still be super in love with your tattoos and want to show your potential grandchildren your wedding pics? There are a few things that I thought of doing for my wedding but decided not to because I thought that in the future I'd look back and think, "WTF was I thinking?!"

I think the best option would be covering for ceremony, and uncovering for reception just so that you have pics of BOTH ways, and are still being you. And you want people to notice YOU when you walk down the aisle, not your tattoos

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_covering-up-tattoosall-advice-welcomed-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:f61b5860-f20c-4816-a0ab-e4c3c65a891ePost:d3848062-0611-4ddd-9aed-2612edb02454">Re: Covering up tattoos...all advice welcomed (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE] I think the best option would be covering for ceremony, and uncovering for reception just so that you have pics of BOTH ways, and are still being you. And you want people to notice YOU when you walk down the aisle, not your tattoos
    Posted by CD2011[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Can you wear a little shawl or jacket for the ceremony just to keep Mom happy?  Then you can do some pics with it and then a bunch without as well.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I love the idea of covering for ceremony and uncovering for reception. Your FI, along with all other close friends and family, knows the real YOU is a person with lots of tattoos but the tattoos prooooobably arent the reason he's marrying you. I think this is a fair compromise for you and your mom, give her the nice formal part of the day without the tats and you can then enjoy your night by removing the makeup and showing them off. If you are going to do cover them at all, dont let her waste her money on a cover-kit; you NEED a professional air brush makeup artist so it doesnt look like a big splotch. as soon as i get to a computer (im on my iphone) i will post a before and after pic of the awesome job an air brusher did on my back tattoo at my last pageant. FWIW, i know what youre going through. I had a family member actually make me an appt at her dermatologist, and had me drive all the way to rochester for it, to get mine REMOVED, because she hates them so much. I went to appease her and then told her no way. i can only imagine the fit she's going to have when i walk down the aisle with my back tattoo showing >:) its a rosary that says "grandma" and its an homage to the most wonderful person that ever walked this earth, theres no way im covering that up on a day when i know i'll need her there in every way possible.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_covering-up-tattoosall-advice-welcomed-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:f61b5860-f20c-4816-a0ab-e4c3c65a891ePost:6bfd88e3-ec1c-4a84-a959-c4ee36dcc990">Re: Covering up tattoos...all advice welcomed (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Covering up tattoos...all advice welcomed (kinda long) : I agree.  Can you wear a little shawl or jacket for the ceremony just to keep Mom happy?  Then you can do some pics with it and then a bunch without as well.
    Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

I think this is a pretty good compromise...
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Here is my tattoo as is (and that's my dress that's off-center, not the tat lol), and then in the bottom pic, you can see how it was airbrushed. You have to use a nice, heavy concealer on it first-I use MAC studio sculpt- and then they apply the airbrush makeup over it and it looked perfect.

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I think we have come to a conclusion. She stll wants me to TRY the make up, even though I know I'll hate it. So she settled on my veil covering my arms/shoulders for the ceremony. Even though the veil is pretty see-through, it'll still be covered.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Im glad you came to an agreement! And trust me, you'll BOTH hate the makeup lol those things just don't work the way they're supposed to.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards