Ohio-Cincinnati

Honeymoon registry for Hawaii

we are wanting to register for a Honeymoon to Hawaii. Does anyone have any recos on good travel agents to use and/or a good site to use?

we need to get this pulled together since we are going in May!

Re: Honeymoon registry for Hawaii

• hccpsuhccpsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I wouldn't do it... it's generally not well-received by guests, and it's not polite to ask people to pay for your honeymoon--plan the trip you can afford.  Plus, most sites keep a portion of the money, so you aren't even getting the benefit of whatever the guest is giving.

Just do a small regular registry, and people will get the idea that cash is probably your preferred gift.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_honeymoon-registry-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:be755212-0784-4acf-93de-ef71d90d5165Post:9f7e5801-460c-4e37-92f7-9a3ffd3b8a95">Re: Honeymoon registry for Hawaii</a>:
    [QUOTE] I wouldn't do it... it's generally not well-received by guests, and it's not polite to ask people to pay for your honeymoon--plan the trip you can afford.  Plus, most sites keep a portion of the money, so you aren't even getting the benefit of whatever the guest is giving. Just do a small regular registry, and people will get the idea that cash is probably your preferred gift.
    Posted by hccpsu[/QUOTE]

Agreed!
    Cappadocia, Turkey
    June 2012 March Siggy Challenge: Honeymoon location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    image 215 Invited so far!
    image 160 Are ready to party!
    image 30 Will be missing out!
    image 25 Are MIA!
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I concur that honeymoon registries are super tacky. Just don't do it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    No no no.
    Anniversary
  • sdunaway10sdunaway10 member
    edited December 2011
    Well I actually wasn't asking if we should or shouldn't b/c we are. I was just asking if anyone had a good travel agent. As an FYI, we have already polled our families and friends and they all think it's a great idea b/c we already have all the "stuff" we need.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think its rude that instead of helping her you all are judging. 

some people can't afford honeymoons and you sometimes need alternatives. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think its rude that instead of helping her you all are judging. 

some people can't afford honeymoons and you sometimes need alternatives. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_honeymoon-registry-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:be755212-0784-4acf-93de-ef71d90d5165Post:6be54482-621a-4a59-a804-b57cf5405a1d">Re: Honeymoon registry for Hawaii</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally think its rude that instead of helping her you all are judging.  some people can't afford honeymoons and you sometimes need alternatives. 
    Posted by eiermacd[/QUOTE]

1. No one here was judging. Just giving their opinions, which is what happens here.

2. If you can't afford a honeymoon, then don't take one. They arent a necessity and you certainly shouldnt look to your friends and family to pay for your vacation.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • dmiller9274dmiller9274 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'd like to throw in another vote for "it's tacky, don't do it." 
    But if you're planning on doing it anyway, you should also make sure that you have all the money needed to pay for the trip yourself. If your guests don't cover the entire expense of the trip, you'll have to come up with the rest of the money. I'm not sure how those things work with return policies, but I don't think you can just take the money if you don't get everything you need. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sdunaway10sdunaway10 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, eiermacd!

And, actually GoBucksOH (and all the others) you are judging even w/ your #2 statement above b/c I Never once asked anyone's opinion on whether i should or shouldn't Only on if they reco'd an agent.

And to all please Know that we DID poll our family and friends and they are totally behind the idea b/c it's more practical and our family and friends want to help us get what we want vs just more things we don't need!

FYI, i am done with this conversation, so no more opinions please.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_honeymoon-registry-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:be755212-0784-4acf-93de-ef71d90d5165Post:2134855e-02e6-4923-980d-0f1067b1f1e2">Re: Honeymoon registry for Hawaii</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, eiermacd! And, actually GoBucksOH (and all the others) you are judging even w/ your #2 statement above b/c I Never once asked anyone's opinion on whether i should or shouldn't Only on if they reco'd an agent. And to all please Know that we DID poll our family and friends and they are totally behind the idea b/c it's more practical and our family and friends want to help us get what we want vs just more things we don't need! FYI, i am done with this conversation, so no more opinions please.
    Posted by sdunaway10[/QUOTE]

1.  Of course family and friends told you to your face that it is a good idea.  What they are saying behind your back is something completely different.

2. You don't get to tell people to stop telling you that this is a bad idea.

ETA - when you were polling your guests, were you honest with them that it is not honeymoon experiences that they are paying for and that this is nothing more than a cash registry.  In other words, they are going to give a company $50 or $100 thinking they are buying you a couple massage or scuba lessons or horseback riding for a day when in fact that company in turn is going to cut you a check for $45 or $92? Most people would rather just give you a check directly. 
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    It is judging. she wasnt asking for your opinion about the subject just asking for a travel agent? 

Personally, we arn't taking a honeymoon because we can't afford it and i would do a registry if we knew how much we would get and everything. it just makes us nervous plus whatever money we get from the wedding can go towards a later honeymoon anyway 

&  i doubt her family is talking behind her back and calling it tacky. my family at least would tell me straight up and i bet thats what most would do. 

You all have the right to your own opinions but i just think your being rude. not helpful. how about giving other sugestions instead of just being negative  Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_honeymoon-registry-hawaii?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:108Discussion:be755212-0784-4acf-93de-ef71d90d5165Post:a1980fe0-626d-42ae-a51e-0877a6d19ca5">Re: Honeymoon registry for Hawaii</a>:
    [QUOTE]It is judging. she wasnt asking for your opinion about the subject just asking for a travel agent?  Personally, we arn't taking a honeymoon because we can't afford it and i would do a registry if we knew how much we would get and everything. it just makes us nervous plus whatever money we get from the wedding can go towards a later honeymoon anyway  &  i doubt her family is talking behind her back and calling it tacky. my family at least would tell me straight up and i bet thats what most would do.  You all have the right to your own opinions but i just think your being rude. not helpful. <strong>how about giving other sugestions instead of just being negative  
    </strong>Posted by eiermacd[/QUOTE]

Don't do it.  That is the suggestion of most people.

When you post on a public forum, people are going to comment on what you post, regardless of whether it has to do with the question that you asked.  Knotties aren't going to tell you something is a great idea and let you go out and embarrass yourself.  You'd also be surprised at what family and friends won't tell you.  I've never minced words with my siblings, however, when one of them decided to do a honeymoon registry, I kept my mouth shut and just refused to use it.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011

You came to a PUBLIC FORUM and asked about something that in generally frowned upon- what did you expect? Did you ever stop once to think that maybe we were trying to HELP you by telling you it's a bad, bad idea? Not only because it's socially unacceptable, but also because those registries RIP YOU OFF?

But hey, whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Good luck with that.

Anniversary
  • tiffjjrtiffjjr member
    edited December 2011
    Good luck with everything we use Dan Howell travel for all of our vacations hes always super nice and responsive.
  • We are using our-wedding-registry.com  BTW, I always thought it is a great idea to have part of your honeymoon covered for by your guests. My fiance and I have been living together for 5 years now, so obviously we have everything we need around the house. We do not need any more toasters or microwaves... I have been to a lot of weddings where guests just bring stuff they do not need themselves, and that's not what we want. Moreover, you don't have to spend the money on honeymoon-you can just have cash and use it for later.Anyway, in my opinion, it is a great, modern and innovative idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards